The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-29-2006, 01:06 PM

Default ZOOM H4 test...

...out of the box.
I did two quick recordings (Please, forgive me for my sloppy playing )
Zoom H4 Test1 - I uploaded this to the computer, which is amazingly easy for a novice like myself, and normalized it. The H4 recording level ended up to -7db.
Zoom H4 Test2 - Again, I uploaded it, normalized it and added reverb on the computer (Can't wait to play this on my Kronbauer. The 000-28 just doesn't have enough sustain.)
I must say, I endorse this little rascal...
Old 10-29-2006, 01:15 PM

Glad I have my H4 ... a few more clips like what you and LJ are posting and these will be sold out until after Christmas!

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
...I must say, I endorse this little rascal...
Hi Bernie...
Thanks for posting these. Details please...

What sample rate did you record at, where did you point it etc.?

I'm asking this for the purpose of collecting thoughts and ideas on using mine more effectively and to honestly give these little guys a workout.

I sat down to mess around with a new version of Silent Night for upcoming holiday opportunities, and wanted a new arrangement and all of a sudden got ideas for a different tuning.

Grabbed the H4, set it in front of me and captured bunches of ideas. Dropped em into iTunes then to the iPod, and erased the files on the card from the computer (that saves wear and tear of individually erasing them from the card with the jogwheel) bypassing the H4's internal 'Delete file' function all together.

On a Mac that means first dragging them into the trash, and then emptying the trash...there may be a similar need to empty the recycle bin with PCs before demounting the H4.

Anyway, I love the songs you did and look forward to hearing more musical things now that you have the means to put them there simply.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-29-2006, 02:03 PM

Hmm...I've checked the sample rate and it is 112kBits/s. I recorded this in mp3 format on the H4.
I had the recorder approx. 12 to 14 in. in front of me, level with and pointed to the neck 12th fret. I've found that by moving around (I kind of move my body while playing) I had some balance issues which I tried to fix by normalizing some sections.
Thanks for the tip on erasing the files from the PC. It's a time saver for sure.
I think, the recorder does the job as you had described, Larry. I'm looking forward to learn more about it and I'm looking forward for more of your test results.

Last edited by Bern; 10-29-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Hmm...I've checked the sample rate and it is 112kBits/s. I recorded this in mp3 format on the H4.
I had the recorder approx. 12 to 14 in. in front of me, level with and pointed to the neck 12th fret. I've found that by moving around (I kind of move my body while playing) I had some balance issues which I tried to fix by normalizing some sections.
Thanks for the tip on erasing the files from the PC. It's a time saver for sure.
I think, the recorder does the job as you had described, Larry. I'm looking forward to learn more about it and I'm looking forward for more of your test results.
Hey Bern, pardon my ignorance - what do you mean by "normalizing" ?
David's CDs
Old 10-29-2006, 03:24 PM

Changing the gain (volume) of a sections. As I've mentioned before the H4 recording was recorded at -7db. Normalization allowed me to optimize the gain of the low-level wave file up to 0.
Mr. Womack could probably give you a better explanation.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:32 PM

Thanks, Bern. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. I always do that too, just didn't know it had a name.
David's CDs
Old 10-29-2006, 07:05 PM

Bern,

Thanks for sharing the info. The Zoom H4 sounds like a great little tool. I loved your recordings...very clean and great playing. I am looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:24 PM

Default H4 and Niaint microphones

My h4 is still in the tender embrace of Fedex somewhere in the Chicago area, but I've used my Naiant MSH1O mics on an older recorder and they were pretty good!

Do you think the Naiant tube types would be THAT much better or should I just hang with what I have?

Taping acoustic rehearsals, some gigs. Small ensembles.

/john
Old 10-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbry View Post
...Do you think the Naiant tube types would be THAT much better or should I just hang with what I have?

Taping acoustic rehearsals, some gigs. Small ensembles.
Hi John...
The tube mics have to be plugged in with phantom supplied and left to warm up for a period of time to stabalize - I'm not sure how long, but I fire tube preamps in the studio at least 45 minutes to an hour ahead of using them.

The MSH-10 will fire instantly and be ready to use. Also, I'm not sure the tube mics will power up with less than 48volt phantom power...if the website is accurate the MSH-1 needs +12 - +48 volt phantom, the MSH-10 needs +18 - +48 volt and the tube version needs full +48 volt.

What that means is the MSH-10 or MSH-1 will last in excess of 2 1/2 hours on just internal battery power with 24Volt power supplied and the tube versions would need the power supply plugged in and a warm up period to be ready to record.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-29-2006, 09:00 PM

Thanks guys for commenting on the music.
Back to the H4...I think for us hobbyists this little unit saves not only money, but it also gives us more time to play guitar . It was very frustrating to me hearing others post recordings with some quality to them. I think after a while playing around with the H4 I will be able to come close to want I want my music to sound, or course, there will be a learning curve still. I know, it will not replace a studio quality recording, but, I think, it'll give more than adequate results.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:27 PM

Thumbs up

Larry sez.....
"The tube mics have to be plugged in with phantom supplied and left to warm up for a period of time to stabalize - I'm not sure how long, but I fire tube preamps in the studio at least 45 minutes to an hour ahead of using them."

I didn't know this! Sounds like I've got the right ones, particularly after your testing with the H4 showed that you can run them on 24v and save a ton of batteries.

Thanks for clarifying that. Now all I need to do is get the H4 in my grubby paws.....

/john.....
Old 10-30-2006, 06:51 AM

Hi
Bern :cheers for the taking the time and effort mate. Very helpful for those on the lookout for a new recorder.
Congrats for your so great playing.

.......Now i know.....you don't like Chet Atkins and Marcel Dadi....
Old 10-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Sounds great Bern. I wish I played as sloppy as you!

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-30-2006, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks guys for commenting on the music.
Back to the H4...I think for us hobbyists this little unit saves not only money, but it also gives us more time to play guitar...
Hi folks...
Bernie brings out an important detail here. I have my Zoom H4 mounted on a small tripod I bought for $20 just to keep in my teaching area.

When I'm sitting down noodling and have some ideas which need to be captured, I'm less than 15 seconds from recording them with the H4, and that includes grabbing the unit and setting it in front of me, powering it on and punching the record button twice. In the studio, I'm at least 5 minutes away with booting, firing preamps, setting mics, launching software, and setting up the tracks on the software.

After powering up the Zoom H4 and hitting the record button twice - recording short clips of the inspired musical ideas is a breeze. It only takes about 5 seconds to stop one clip and start another. You punch the Record button to both start and stop clips. Actually you punch it once to put it in standby, again to record, and a third time to stop.

This three punch routine is simple, and you sure don't have to press the buttons hard to activate them. The reason I bring this up is creativity is often bypassed or lost for lack of recording ideas - so we forget them later. The H4 puts creativity back into a daily routine for us. It was a rare day that I ever happened to just be sitting in my studio with all the equipment warmed up and I was sitting in front of a mic with an engineer on hand so I could be creative.

I have been carrying little digital voice dictation recorders for years to capture ideas, but their quality is lacking. They were ok for collecting quick ideas but rough to listen to later. The size and quality of the H4 has replaced them in my gear bag, and in my teaching setup. The camera tripod mount (that is inlcuded) is brilliant!

It has also brought the ability for me to record exercises on the fly for students so they can take them with them on the way out the door.

I noticed Bern recorded with a different level setting. I tend to record with the highest (loudest) input setting from about 10'' -12'' away and not put my songs through any processing to pump the volume up.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Last edited by ljguitar; 10-30-2006 at 09:06 AM. Reason: more info pertaining to the original thought of the thread...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell