The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Guest 33123

My local-to-work big box store had a guy walk straight out the front door with a custom shop Fender Strat the other day so I can understand the motivation for locking them up. But nobody in town locks up any guitars to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 02-12-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:52 AM

If I may state the obvious: The reason that the guitars at GC get beat-up, smudged and dirty is because any member of the general public could walk into any store and take down a guitar of any value and whack away to their heart’s content. There certainly was no requirement that the player would know how to play a guitar, or to treat it with any respect. I’ve been appalled watching total beginners, and even mentally ill people with delusions of their musical prowess pound away on the guitars at GC.

As far as outright theft of a large and conspicuous guitar? Maybe that’s a problem too, but I would guess the number of guitars that disappear is minuscule compared to the number that are damaged daily by shoppers/looky-lous who have no intention of buying anything, but want to strum, pick, and slap the goods. And never bought anything.

Like me, for example. I’ve spent many happy hours in the high-end room of GC over the last 20 years. Sampled dozens if not hundreds of fancy guitars, and I usually started with the most expensive model I could find to see how I liked it, to see how it compared to my own instruments. And I also enjoyed the company of other non-buyers and we happily strummed away, guitar after guitar. What did I buy? A set of strings? A couple of picks?

That all stopped, of course, when the guitars were locked to the wall and you needed a sales person to hand you a particular instrument. And I can tell you that the salesman in charge of selling the high-end guitars had a lot to say about how many great guitars were damaged by the public. I’m deeply sympathetic. Sure I liked the free ride, but it couldn’t last for ever.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:53 AM

Old 02-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Guest 728

Some people complain when GC guitars are beaten up, and some complain when they are locked up. The answer is to have a staff member in the room at all times, but that's not really feasible.

My advice? Don't shop there on weekends!
Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Locking things up and the design of the new store by me has caused me to lose the incentive to go there. I just buy my strings and mics online now. If I decide to buy another guitar I may venture over there though because now at least I know the good stuff won't be as beat up.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
My sense it that it is less about theft and more about minimizing constant use by individuals without any intention of buying who are wearing zippers of belts or buttons and who also may not treat the guitar with the type of care a potential buyer would use.

While it is less convenient for potential buyers, I would still prefer that if it meant a guitar being maintained in better condition because of lack of easy access.
I’ve got to agree with this.

I bought my Godin Multiac Nylon through GC, as well as my Gretsch 6120, but both were online sales - the price was good enough that I did it sight unseen (and very happy with both)...

BUT, over time, GC has made better guitars harder to try out - and based on the condition of the floor models, not without reason. Between that, my lack of time, and the latest trend, I just don't go to GC much any more unless I need an accessory today.

The last couple times I've gone into the acoustic room @ GC....I've had to deal with people live-streaming their FB/Instagram/etc performance. I've been tempted to start playing something else just to clear the room.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 02-12-2019, 11:27 AM

If guitars are walking out the door they have bigger security problems than simply locking them up.

You put the register by the door. Then you address everyone as they leave by saying something like Hope you enjoyed your time and we are looking to see you back.

You should see them carrying a guitar. It's not like you can stuff it on your pants.

I think the biggest reason is people playing them with no intention of buying.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-12-2019, 11:29 AM

I don’t really have anything to add about locking up expensive guitars, other than it’s probably not all that effective for preventing damage. My own experience at my local GC is that anyone who asks to play one of the locked up guitars gets to play it, and they don’t check for zippers, buttons, jewelry, ability to play, or mental health. Also, after a salesperson takes the expensive guitar down, the person is left on their own to play while the salesperson goes about their business - especially if it’s the weekend and the place is packed. There’s nothing about the locking up that makes it harder to walk out with a guitar, since there’s no screening or monitoring. Not that it’s all that easy - the acoustic guitar room is at the back of the store, and a thief would have to walk out past essentially the entire staff to get out with a guitar (whether or not it had been locked up in the acoustic room).

Trying guitars: My local GC has an acoustic room, an expensive acoustic room, and a classical guitar room. My experience is that almost no guitar sounds good in the acoustic room, especially on weekends. No guitar sounds bad in the expensive guitar room. (I’ve never been in the classical room). So trying to hear what a guitar sounds like at the store on a weekend is a waste of time. I was trying a 000-15M there, and had my ear practically touching the guitar, and all I could tell was that it probably was making a sound - I could feel the strings touching my fingers, and I saw them moving. But I couldn’t actually hear it over the people right outside the door playing electrics, and the other guy strumming as hard as he could a few feet from me. The salesman there and I are friendly, and he had me take it into the “expensive” room. Unfortunately, there was also someone else trying a guitar there at the same time, so again - impossible to assess the sound.

Lessons: This same GC uses the acoustic room for lessons on Sundays. Sunday mornings used to be a good time to go and try guitars, but no more. There’s absolutely no way to hear the instrument.

The only time to be able to try guitars in a relaxed and effective way is during the week, before school lets out, as someone else suggested. For those of us who can’t easily get away during the week, that’s not a great option. But with a little planning,...
Old 02-12-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolegsfngrpickn View Post
I needed a new set of Elixirs pronto so I had to go to GC. $21+ after tax, completely fleeced.
Now you know how we Brits feel; that's what we pay.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:42 AM

This is actually kind of funny.
For several years, I have read posts here about never buying a guitar from Guitar Center because the guitars are all banged up.

Perhaps Guitar Center was looking at our posts.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I have to imagine however, that a Saturday afternoon at GC would be akin to serving time in "Purgatory".
There will be an excellent selection of guitars in Purgatory. But they're all 12-strings and there aren't any tuners.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:02 PM

I'm glad GC started locking up the nicer guitars. There seems to be less damage and grime on them now. I don't mind asking a clerk to unlock as many as I'd like to look at, that's why they're there.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I was there on a Saturday afternoon when there were enough clients that the staff were maxed out and there was just no chance I was going to get my hands on one.
There you go. They'd rather have you there on Tuesday at 11am. But maybe they need to be told that grownups who can afford the fancy stuff have to earn the money to buy it.

Couch Standards
Old 02-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Can't blame them (locking up the high end stuff).

I stopped by a GC on Vacation last fall, wanted to see what they had for 12 string acoustics, while the didn't have anything I was interested in, they had a brand new black Takamine 12 that the guy I was talking unboxed, tuned up and hung it on the racks the day before I arrived.

Already sporting a 3 inch gash on the top above the sound hole that went right down to the bare wood. the store worker, was visibly pissed...

I just shrugged my shoulders and said "thanks anyway"... out the door I go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion