The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM

Default Super Bowl LIII Thread

New England Patriots and the Los Angeles Rams. What story lines are you following?

Any parties, food, friends involved during the big game? Commercials?
Old 01-31-2019, 11:28 AM

I’m following stories on the apparent visceral hatred of Brady, Belichik and the Patriots. I just don’t get it.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Ironically, this particular Patriots squad reminds me of the Giants teams that beat them twice in past Super Bowls.
And that bodes well for them I think.
The SB winning Giants didn’t have a particularly good season leading up to the playoffs, but one thing they did have is that they were playing their best football at the tail end of the year, with lots of momentum and key facets of the game firing on all cylinders.
And they were all relatively healthy, with no major injuries to top players.
Ditto now with the Patriots.
I have to admit, when the Pats lost to the Steelers in mid-Dec, I didn’t think they would last very long, even if they did make it past one playoff game. They just looked old and tired.
They did pick up some momentum against the Bills and Jets at the end, but for me the real turn-around in performance and feel was the Chargers game.
That was a completely rejuvenated team, you could just feel it. These Chargers were not pushovers, and they were dominated.

So, obviously the Rams are an excellent team, and could very well win, but if the Patriots play like they did against the Chargers and Chiefs, two outstanding teams at their peak, the Rams will have to pull out all the stops to beat them. Even a friendly referee may not be enough….;-)

I just have a feeling that the Pats will pull this one out, likely a close one, and make history.
Quote:
I’m following stories on the apparent visceral hatred of Brady, Belichik and the Patriots. I just don’t get it.
Me neither. But if they do win, it'll get a lot worse. That much is certain.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-31-2019, 12:20 PM

It’s either envy or fatigue blown up by the homers to given them the illusion that everyone is against them.

The truth of the matter is that they are that good, but they also have the ability to get the other teams to beat themselves. That’s the real reason for the frustration.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:39 PM

How they can stay close and pull out a win seems to be a parallel to Tiger Woods' success. Some sports analyst compared his final round scores to his closest competitors' and saw that Woods didn't play better, but didn't fade either, which is what sunk the others.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I don’t get it either.
Like the saying goes,

they hate us, ‘cuz they ain’t us.

Go Patriots!!!
Old 01-31-2019, 01:15 PM

Also read somewhere today that Tony Romo will be in the play by play booth with Jim Nantz and that Romo has an uncanny ability to call the play before the ball is snapped. Somewhere around 70% of the time he calls the play exactly as it’s played. Always liked Romo, he was a gutsy player, but just couldn’t ever get The Boys into The Big Encilada. Four playoff games and only one win there. I loved to watch him play, but man man could he ever make some bonehead calls behind center and screw up at the worst possible moment. And I don’t think Jerry Jones was ever behind him and probably shed no tears when Romo hung up his cleats.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:53 PM

Not following any story lines. Maybe tomorrow I'll pay a bit more attention. Or Sunday morning. Or....

We declined an invite to a party; as a relatively recent transplant to the East Coast, I still can't get used to the game starting around dinner time. It used to be that we'd go to a party that started around noon, have brunch, drink a bloody Mary, and chat until the game started at 3:15. At halftime, all the guys would play touch football in the street while the gals watched halftime and commercials. More food for the 2nd half: Buffalo hot wings, sausages, maybe some smoked oysters, and homemade brownies. Game would end before 7, and we would head home and slowly let go of the excitement/vibration of the party. A lot of that doesn't really work with the later time frame here.

The good news: My lovely wife declared that she was going to make paella for dinner/football food!! Kind of the gourmet experience of Super Bowl, which is a nice way to adjust to all the other changes....
Old 01-31-2019, 02:09 PM

Wow, up to #53 already - seems like it was just last year that SB #1 took place...

Didn't watch #1... :

Didn't watch any SB's in between...

Got my country-style ribs slow-cooking in some spicy BBQ sauce as we speak - my rhythm-guitarist-in-chief and I will be eating them tonight...

Not watching #53 either...
Old 01-31-2019, 02:24 PM

Still hold a grudge about that non-call against the Saints (Who I didn't particularly care for) and decided to throw my allegiance (Which isn't worth anything) to the Patriots.

On second thought, maybe I'll just drift around the dial a bit, play some guitar and generally not care which set of millionaires end up with the most points, they both get mucho money.......seeing I'm not in any pools this year.

Fog

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 01-31-2019 at 03:45 PM. Reason: edit political content
Old 01-31-2019, 02:49 PM

I was born in NY & live in Connecticut

I'm a NY Giants & NY Yankee's fan. My absolute dislike for the Patriots falls along the lines of my dislike of the Red Sox.

I'll be rooting for the Rams in the Super Bowl.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-31-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Jealousy, for the years they have been together, 5 Super Bowls, (soon to be 6), The teams they have created together as well as their friendship for sure. They just keep winning.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 01-31-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Could it be some of the cheating they have done in the past?

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:28 PM

Smile

As far as Sunday, grab 3, 8oz Tenderloins from the local Butcher and grill for my wife and a friend and watch the Patriots win
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 01-31-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I would greatly prefer that the Rams win the Suoer Bowl. I don’t care for the Patriots.

Last edited by raysachs; 01-31-2019 at 06:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic