The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-31-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
Can I name two ? My dad and my grandpa both played guitar. My dad still does. I now have both of their late 50’s Gibsons. I don’t think they are particularly collectible or expensive but to me they are priceless.

Attachment 18331
ok. WOW! .. seriously those look awesome..
Old 01-31-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

My J-185EC (on the left) was JJ Cale's personal guitar.

2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 01-31-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

My health and the love I have for my wife and kids ..... Everything else is a peripheral bonus

But in material things I would say #1 is our location

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-31-2019, 10:00 AM

I'm just going to put my own words to what several others have mentioned in their post.

I have lots of possessions that I enjoy a great deal. At some points in my life, some of those possessions were very valuable to me (shortly after my mother passed away, nearly everything that she valued was valuable to me for a while: various "family" objects, etc.).

But at this time in my life, what I value most is not anything I would consider a possession.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:13 AM

My wedding band.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
He is with you. He too, fingered and bowed the fiddle.
Yes, you are so right.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-31-2019, 01:02 PM

The photographs of all the dogs and cats my wife and I have had throughout our lives. Each animal was special and unique. This last set of puppies will outlive me I am sure.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:30 PM
Anticipation Junkie

For me there are three...

My log home and organic swimming pond that I built. After 35 years, we’re in the process of selling, which is quite an emotional experience.

Our all-original 1968 Dodge Polara 500. Not a generally sought-after car, but there’s a whole backstory as to why we have it which I have posted about in the past.

A pair of antique 6’ tall open shelving units with beveled mirrors on each of four levels. They stand on either side of our large living room fieldstone fireplace. They were already old in 1917 (don’t know how old), but at that time, they stood in my great-grandfather’s barber shop in downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia upon the occurrence of the Great Halifax Explosion where two WWI munitions ships collided in the harbor, flattening the entire downtown and beyond, killing 6,000+ people. My great-grandfather’s barber shop was destroyed, but for some reason, these pieces survived. They were passed to my Mom who passed away in 2017. I’ve always loved them, now they adorn my home. Priceless.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:32 PM

for me, it's not a possession

I'm most thankful that I am still alive.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
for me, it's not a possession

I'm most thankful that I am still alive.
2018 was not a good year for me health-wise. I am right there with you.

A good day starts with eyes opening and taking in oxygen.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
2018 was not a good year for me health-wise. I am right there with you.

A good day starts with eyes opening and taking in oxygen.
Isnt that the truth!!!
Old 02-01-2019, 02:08 PM
Musical minimalist

My Maternal Grandfather was in WWI and saw some of the worst of the war in Europe.

When he was coming home after the end, they shipped out of Spain somewhere heading back to the States.

He had a souvenir made for my Grandma - a 50 mm mortar shell turned into a small canister that he filled with coins and stamps from many of the places he was stationed.

The engraving on the top reads "To Goldie M. Averill from Louis H. Averill - World's War 1914 to 1918" and it has a Spanish dime inlaid into the handle.

When he knew he had months to live, he took me to the side and told me he wanted me to have it. That was 1969.

I also have a lion's head lapel pin of his that he was "paid" as part of a gambling debt back in the 20's. It's 14k gold with ruby eyes and a diamond in the mouth.

I keep these two items in a very safe place.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:11 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post

A pair of antique 6’ tall open shelving units with beveled mirrors on each of four levels. They stand on either side of our large living room fieldstone fireplace. They were already old in 1917 (don’t know how old), but at that time, they stood in my great-grandfather’s barber shop in downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia upon the occurrence of the Great Halifax Explosion where two WWI munitions ships collided in the harbor, flattening the entire downtown and beyond, killing 6,000+ people. My great-grandfather’s barber shop was destroyed, but for some reason, these pieces survived. They were passed to my Mom who passed away in 2017. I’ve always loved them, now they adorn my home. Priceless.
Wow - that's amazing! We were just talking about the explosion a couple weeks ago at dinner with friends. My buddy Paul's Dad lived there when he was growing up (now 95 and living in Toronto) and Paul had just taken him back "home" for a visit a few months before.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Wow - that's amazing! We were just talking about the explosion a couple weeks ago at dinner with friends. My buddy Paul's Dad lived there when he was growing up (now 95 and living in Toronto) and Paul had just taken him back "home" for a visit a few months before.
Todd, such a cool backstory to your granddad’s special pieces. So precious.

It’s so interesting where discussions lead for you to have had spoken with friends about the Halifax story. The explosion was so powerful that the anchor from one of the ships landed 6 miles away. As a kid, I recall my great-aunt recounting and describing in detail, the carnage she witnessed having been in the downtown area soon after the blast to try and help. Horrific.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:38 PM

Cool topic. For me at the age of 72, important things are: memories of grandparents, parents, and other close relatives and friends whom have passed. Also, my wife's ability to adapt to raising one husband and two boys (grown men now), plus watching my sons and their families grow and mature. It's comforting to realize your own progeny are "nice guys". Lastly, 4 great grandsons as different as the directions on the compass....as that great philosopher said, "life is like a box of chocolates........."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic