The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-12-2018, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Falling Back in Love with CF.....

My first carbon fiber guitar was a Rainsong Studio model that I purchased a number years ago. I didn't like the rough top surface, and the sound seemed, well, too plastic. It was followed by a whole lot of wooden guitars punctuated by several more Rainsongs. I'm at a different point now and better appreciating the Rainsong tone while also realizing that owning more expensive wooden guitars may no longer be my thing, especially living in a cabin in the woods where humidity control is more of an art than a science. In short, the draw of a guitar that is relatively impervious to changes in weather and indoor humidity has increased. I recently purchased a Rainsong H-DR1100N2 (BTW not my first) from Musicians Friend thanks to some points I'd accrued and one of their 15% discount periods. I no longer just accept the tone but really appreciate it. Given the limits of reason, I truly believe that it compares very favorably to the Martin dreads that I owned several months ago at twice the price....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-12-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Perfectly understandable to me, RP! Great story.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I no longer just accept the tone but really appreciate it.
A statement that makes me feel more informed for having read it.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Guest 928

Well said!

When I look at many of my favorite things I see that most of them were acquired tastes--coffee, booze, CF guitars, and so forth. At some point in time, those things struck me as different and they took a while to embrace.

I know that many players, and makers, of CF guitars have worked toward the classic wooden sound. But in the process there is the realization that the classic CF sound blends in and complements the wooden sound. One isn't better than the other, just different. That's the way I've come to see it.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Well said!

When I look at many of my favorite things I see that most of them were acquired tastes--coffee, booze, CF guitars, and so forth. At some point in time, those things struck me as different and they took a while to embrace.

I know that many players, and makers, of CF guitars have worked toward the classic wooden sound. But in the process there is the realization that the classic CF sound blends in and complements the wooden sound. One isn't better than the other, just different. That's the way I've come to see it.
Also well said. Well, except for coffee: I don't know how you people drink that stuff.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Also well said. Well, except for coffee: I don't know how you people drink that stuff.
You gotta add lots of cream and sugar to kill the coffee taste.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
You gotta add lots of cream and sugar to kill the coffee taste.
Nah, cream and sugar ruin coffee- unless of course it's espresso. Then a properly made latte or cappuccino is a nice treat, especially with a touch of sweet.

But to stay on topic, RP you are right on the money about the worry free nature of CF. I think Capt. Jim's words should be immortalized here on the CF forum when he says something along the lines of, "come for the benefits of carbon fiber, stay for the tone."

The first time I heard the Rainsong H-DR1100N2 it was Scott Nygard reviewing it in Acoustic Guitar Magazine, thinking how much it reminded me of a D18 (albeit from a cruddy video). Must be a whole different animal on your lap.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
.....the draw of a guitar that is relatively impervious to changes in weather and indoor humidity has increased. I recently purchased a Rainsong H-DR1100N2 (BTW not my first). I no longer just accept the tone but really appreciate it.....
RP, be sure to experiment with strings. My observation is that CF guitars seem to be more sensitive to string type.

For example, I use GHS White Bronze (52% nickel) on many of my guitars as a non-coated extended life string that can last for months. So in that spirit, I tried some John Pearse Pure Nickels (960L) on my Lucky 13 at its last string change. I was shocked to take an instant dislike of the tone from a guitar that had always appealed to me. They are still on there and while they do not show any corrosion, I still don't like the tone much, even after letting them mellow out for weeks.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I think Capt. Jim's words should be immortalized here on the CF forum when he says something along the lines of, "come for the benefits of carbon fiber, stay for the tone."
Yep! Couldn't have said it better myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I tried some John Pearse Pure Nickels (960L) on my Lucky 13 at its last string change. I was shocked to take an instant dislike of the tone from a guitar that had always appealed to me.
I have some nickel on my Lucky13 too. They don't blow me away, but they aren't bad enough to take off just yet either. I currently have some phosphor/bronze Dragon Skin strings (12s) on my X20. I wasn't sure about them at first, but they are holding up pretty well now after I stretched them a bit.

I don't think the X20 is as sensitive to different strings as the Lucky13 is. JMHO.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
RP, be sure to experiment with strings. My observation is that CF guitars seem to be more sensitive to string type.

For example, I use GHS White Bronze (52% nickel) on many of my guitars as a non-coated extended life string that can last for months. So in that spirit, I tried some John Pearse Pure Nickels (960L) on my Lucky 13 at its last string change. I was shocked to take an instant dislike of the tone from a guitar that had always appealed to me. They are still on there and while they do not show any corrosion, I still don't like the tone much, even after letting them mellow out for weeks.
I appreciate this post Earl. I also found JP Pure Nickel to be just too brash on my Shorty. I also tried D'addario NB strings and wasn't overly thrilled with them either. So far the best strings I've found are Retros (especially since I beef up the treble strings). I also tried GHS Silk and Bronze and found that they are the only PB strings I've ever liked on the Shorty....and I've tried them all, including Thomatik Infeld Plectrums.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber