The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-12-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I've got an Emerald Custom X7 woody on order that is going to be extremely similar to the X20. I cannot keep all three guitars. Either the Martin or the X20 will have to go. I'm assuming that despite the minor differences in body size, the X7 and X20 will sound very similar amplified and as such they will be redundant. If this is the case then the X20 will go on the block. But if they sound different then the Martin just might have cause to worry. One thing is for sure - it's going to be a VERY tough call!!
I decided before getting the second one that I would have to sell one of my two carbon fiber guitars (X20 new from 2013) and (Lucky13 new from 2014) once I decided which one I liked better. It's been 4 years since the Lucky13 arrived at my house and I have successfully deferred deciding which one would go and which one to keep.

In other words, take your time. The choice might be a tough one that you should sleep on for a few years or more.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
I guess I would be considered a pretty big Emerald fan, but I think every carbon guitar owner should have at least one good wooden guitar. So I would recommend that you put off the choice until you could add another guitar without selling your Martin… since you asked.

I totally agree. I own both CF and wood guitars. There is definitely a tonal difference between them. If I could only own one type it would be wood. Don’t get me wrong, I like my CF guitars but they are an addition to my stable, not a replacement for my wood guitars.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-13-2018, 11:23 AM

Hi BT55,
I own wooden guitars, carbon fiber guitars and an Ekoa guitar but I feel the opposite way you do. If I could only own one instrument I would own one that did not need the care that wood needs. I love the sound of my wooden guitars and I love the sound of the composite guitars as well, but my practical side wins out. I think if I could only have one guitar it would be my Blackbird Savoy.
Barb
Old 08-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Hi BT55,
I own wooden guitars, carbon fiber guitars and an Ekoa guitar but I feel the opposite way you do. If I could only own one instrument I would own one that did not need the care that wood needs. I love the sound of my wooden guitars and I love the sound of the composite guitars as well, but my practical side wins out. I think if I could only have one guitar it would be my Blackbird Savoy.
Barb
I'm with Barb on this - if I HAD to get it down to only one guitar (gasp!), it would be my Emerald X20. I still have some wood guitars, but will be thinning those down once we get home. For full disclosure, my X20 has a delightful louro preto wood veneer, so I can see some wood without any of that fussy stuff that goes along with wood ownership.

Doesn't hurt that I prefer the tone of the X20 over any of the wood guitars I have, as well.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:52 PM
Guest 928

Still trying to work it down to one guitar. But I go with one acoustic and one electric--they may both be Emeralds.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:48 AM

I have never managed to keep a good wooden guitar in shape for more than (give or take) 3 years. Never had a problem with the cheap laminated ones I owned in the past, but solid tops do not seem to like my home environment very much and eventually they all start to bulge.
So carbon fiber has been a true blessing for me and I will probably get rid of my remaining wooden guitars before they become unplayable.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 08-14-2018, 08:32 AM

I'll echo Captain Jim and Barb's thoughts. I fully intend to get down to just composite instruments at some point, but I still love wood. There is one all-koa Taylor 424-LTD that will be the last cellulose holdout for me. And it will be hard to part with my 414ce - I simply cannot get the used price that reflects the true worth of that guitar.

But at some point I may have to decide if all of the CF guitars will remain. Since the X20 and X7 came to live here, everyone else is seeing WAY less play time. At least the unplayed ones don't need a lot of constant care, and can sit out where I can enjoy them visually.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I have never managed to keep a good wooden guitar in shape for more than (give or take) 3 years. Never had a problem with the cheap laminated ones I owned in the past, but solid tops do not seem to like my home environment very much and eventually they all start to bulge.
So carbon fiber has been a true blessing for me and I will probably get rid of my remaining wooden guitars before they become unplayable.
The allure of an all CF collection is not worrying (at all) about wintertime humidity conditions (running the humidifier and monitoring non-stop) but also the inevitable need for wood guitar maintenance like neck resets and possible crack repairs. Also, not worrying about every little accidental bump into something resulting in a 'scar' is refreshing and even liberating.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:46 PM

Since being introduced to carbon fiber acoustic guitars I have no desire to own any more wood acoustic guitars. The only remaining wood acoustics I currently have left are all laminates, which I hope to sell. My all solid wood acoustic guitar an a few solid wood top guitars are gone. Any future acoustic guitar purchases will be carbon fiber.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-14-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The allure of an all CF collection is not worrying (at all) about wintertime humidity conditions
Crazy talk. The allure is not worrying about summertime humidity conditions.

(heck I live in Arizona, make that summer/fall/winter/springtime humidity conditions)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-14-2018, 08:48 PM

Amen to that! It's the most humid time of the year this month in AZ. The whole rest of the year is often in single digits.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber