The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-18-2018, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwild View Post
I stopped debating with my wife regarding my guitar purchases. The bottom line is that I don't need any of them, but they make me happy and that's justification enough. Besides, there's never an explanation for all of her purchases.

Personally I vote for getting the exact guitar that you want and don't look back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Whoa, whoa, WHOA! Slow your roll, there skippy...

What kind of crazy talk is THAT?!?
ANY? If I had to, I could pare it down to just one... hahahahahahahahaha... yeah, I'm kidding. Fortunately, I have never had that debate with my wife. Earlier this year, I said, "I think I need to sell off a guitar or two."

She said, "Why?"

I replied, "I am out of wall hangers for them."

She said, "We can get more hangers and stagger them high and low."

No debate necessary.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 PM

First of all you are nuts...second..welcome you fit rght in here.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I want to thank all of you so much for all your help and advice. I ended up placing my order last night for an X7 in the turquoise-ish blue custom color. I sent Kevin some photos I had photoshopped to make the blue the color I wanted and he said they could do it.

I kept everything else standard, didn't opt for the fan fretting. I figure I will just do medium strings on it - none of the other guitars have fan fretting so I don't need it on this one either.

I especially want to thank member mkatz - he is selling me his 11/17 Select Series koa X7 to use in the interim. That made the decision even easier as now I know I will have one until mine is built. But it really came down to something Earl49 said, this would be MY guitar. Made just for me and unlike all others. And I know I would be disappointed if I had settled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
There is nothing better than YOUR custom guitar. BTW you'll love Aloha Camp - we've been three times.
As for Aloha Camp, yep it is great, isn't it? This will be my fourth year, but my first doing slack key. I've done ukulele and hula in the past. But it is an amazing way to spend a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Hold on there. Methos may have a method. Turquoise on a wood veneer may not be a piece of art--and I assume you do want a piece of art?
I don't know that I would call it art, but hey, it is me. When it came down to it, I love that color and I made a mockup of a wood one, a green one and a blue one, and then there was no more debate. It was the turquoise blue all the way. If the three had been hanging up in a store, I would have grabbed the turquoise without hesitation.

Thanks again to all of you. I look forward to fostering the koa Select Series X7 for a few months and then passing it on to its forever home. And I really appreciate all the support and advice you have given me. You guys and gals rock.

Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass

Last edited by wickedwahine; 07-19-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:23 AM
Guest 928

Wicked;

Don't want to rush you, but you should also keep in mind our changing trade routes. So far there have been no outlandish tariffs to pay for an Irish guitar. The way things are going, and as fast as they are going, tariffs could become an added burden in the future purchase of an Emerald.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
I especially want to thank member mkatz - he is selling me his 11/17 Select Series koa X7 to use in the interim. That made the decision even easier as now I know I will have one until mine is built.
Thank you Staci, this was a win win situation. I have a new X7 on order and was going to sell my Select Series when it came in but had no problem letting it go now.

Mitch
Old 07-19-2018, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

This forum is great! I love it when a plan comes together... especially so with help, advice, and some "horse-trading"... kudos all around!
Old 07-19-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
This forum is great! I love it when a plan comes together... especially so with help, advice, and some "horse-trading"... kudos all around!
Yay us!!!!

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-19-2018, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

That is ONE attractive guitar !
Old 07-19-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
... my spouse, best friend and Mom ...
I grew up near a family with these sort of relations. It seemed their boy got cast in some movie with his banjo. I thought this was just a southern thing.

What was the question again? Oh yeah, great choices you made. I look forward to the end result. I need to stop reading about the X7 or else one will follow my credit card home.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-19-2018, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I grew up near a family with these sort of relations. It seemed their boy got cast in some movie with his banjo. I thought this was just a southern thing.

What was the question again? Oh yeah, great choices you made. I look forward to the end result. I need to stop reading about the X7 or else one will follow my credit card home.
Umm, I think you are joking but in the interests of full disclosure, I guess I should have been more clear...I am a woman, and my spouse, best friend and Mom are three different people.

On a more important note, I look forward to the end result too.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Yay us!!!!

my sediments exactly. I'm a pretty adept lurker.

congrats on such a pretty guitar.

doc
Old 07-31-2018, 09:34 PM

Hoʻomaikaʻi on your new and future Emeralds, and enjoy the music camp! I recommend you take the oli (Hawaiian chant) class from my palala Liko Puha. Even if you have no ambition to chant, the experience of studying with Liko will take you to a deeper feeling and understanding of Hawaiian music of all kinds.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Hoʻomaikaʻi on your new and future Emeralds, and enjoy the music camp! I recommend you take the oli (Hawaiian chant) class from my palala Liko Puha. Even if you have no ambition to chant, the experience of studying with Liko will take you to a deeper feeling and understanding of Hawaiian music of all kinds.

Thanks...and Liko is so cool. I took his beginning oli a couple of Camps ago. My problem there is always there is just way too much to do and not enough hours in the day to do it.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Talking Does anyone own just 1 Emerald...........?

Welcome to the Emerald club, where the ONLY limit to the guitar that you order is your own imagination.

Once you receive your first Emerald, it will really fire up your imagination.

Ha Ha Ha Ha!

My name is Tom and I have not ordered an Emerald guitar for 14 months now. But I am about to fall off the wagon.........again........
Old 08-01-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks...and Liko is so cool. I took his beginning oli a couple of Camps ago. My problem there is always there is just way too much to do and not enough hours in the day to do it.
Ah, so you already know! I just looked up next year's camp… awesome array of teachers, so yeah, you're going to have a hard time choosing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber