The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-09-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I found it on my Google News page. John Prine got a big article on PeopleMagazine.com;

https://people.com/music/grammys-201...f-forgiveness/

Just imagine the songs he can now write about being in People Magazine!
Old 02-09-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Yes, the first album was brilliant. Have you ever heard the story of how Steve Goodman was responsible for JP being discovered by Kris Kristofferson?

sm
I have been a big fan since JP's early days. There is nobody like him.

And yes, I have heard the story (I still live close to Chicago) about JP being discovered.

I hope that his discovery is acknowledged and that Kris Kristopherson gets a thank you.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

LowRider & Paddy:

Thanks so much for your additional comments.

Since I live in L.A., I imagine that I hear a bit more about Grammy-related news. Anyway, on top of everything else, the Troubadour is holding a tribute concert for John and his family this Grammy weekend. So wonderful.

John would probably say something like, "If you live long enough, you become a legend."

Thanks again, gents,
Scott Memmer
Old 02-15-2019, 04:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default John Prine Aced Out at Grammys: Dang!

This is a long running Prine thread.

John lost, but Brandi Carlisle and Kacey Musgraves walked away with a bucketload of Grammys, great artists both.

Notwithstanding, JP had a fab 2018.

scott memmer
Old 02-15-2019, 04:33 PM

I saw Steve Goodman at a small Philadelphia coffee house back in the day. There was an early show and a late show. But the audience was sparse, so everyone stayed and Steve just played through. As the show progressed, he was joined by Bonnie Raitt, John Prine, Trevor Veitch and Andy Colburn (who opened). They sang Hank Williams songs until they couldn't remember the words. What an incredible night.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
He didn't win any, but Kacey Musgraves and Brandi Carlisle cleaned house.

scott memmer
Original post from almost two years ago. Groundhogs day.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Nobody, that's who.

John could easily have been a stand-up comic if the music thing didn't pan out. For those of you who have never heard the "Happy Enchilada" story, here's a hilarious clip from YT. I'm not gonna be a spoiler. The joke and story comes near the end of the clip.

Enjoy!

sm
Man, I'm glad you posted that. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I saw Steve Goodman at a small Philadelphia coffee house back in the day. There was an early show and a late show. But the audience was sparse, so everyone stayed and Steve just played through. As the show progressed, he was joined by Bonnie Raitt, John Prine, Trevor Veitch and Andy Colburn (who opened). They sang Hank Williams songs until they couldn't remember the words. What an incredible night.
A beautiful memory. . . thanks for sharing
Old 02-15-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow, what a bill! ... gotta love it when that kinda thing happens ...

Old 02-15-2019, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
...Everything on that first album is a masterpiece...
I won't say every song but I will say maybe 90% of it. Maybe a couple are not masterpieces. Which is unreal. Absolutely amazing collection of songs.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:46 PM

Kacey Musgraves got a Grammy but John Prine didn't? Makes no sense. Oh, right, Musgraves didn't have the old-white-guy handicap... [emoji6]

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 02-15-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Kacey Musgraves got a Grammy but John Prine didn't? Makes no sense. Oh, right, Musgraves didn't have the old-white-guy handicap... [emoji6]
I know that your tongue was in your cheek.
Yeah, I thought how can a person with what?... 5 nominations not get one award! Especially an entertainer/singer/songwriter the caliber of JP?

So, I researched WHO gets to vote and HOW voting is done.
It doesn't take much to be allowed to vote. A flash-in- the-pan-artist can vote. That same voter can vote for catagories they likely know little about.
So, lets suppose I had a big novelty hit in Country about drinking beer from a blue plastic cup.This gives me minimal qualifications. I get to vote and can do so for the best Rap album of the year (or any other category). Now, I don't know much about artists in that category or the category itself. I don't particularly like the category, but I still get to vote. Well, Mary Smith at least has a name I can understand, so she gets my vote.
Maybe I W8 4 Sno has just an incredibly brilliant Rap album this year, but I don't anything about him or the category his album is in. Still, Mary gets my vote.
Yes, this is a goofy example. It is, however, how it can go.

The voting process is pretty wacky, IMO. The way it is set up, it can be very generational. Once meeting the(pretty minimal) qualifications, anybody can vote for anything.
I encourage anybody who is interested to look up the Grammys voting process.

Last edited by Paddy1951; 02-23-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:09 AM

And Punch Brothers finally won a grammy for their worst album to date. Their last album was a masterpiece, but didn’t win.

Last edited by srick; 02-16-2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: On the borderline of politics
Old 02-17-2019, 05:33 PM

I just came across this and started watching it. I haven't finished it yet, but I am enjoying it thus far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jar8wiaE0dw

CBS interview with John Prine
Old 02-18-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
If I remember correctly, this was at the Main Point in Bryn Mawr back in January of 1972. I was home from school between semesters and went to this show with my girlfriend. My cousin used to work there and would let us in seating us up front in the press seats. Saw many,many great shows there over the years. Can't believe it has been almost 50 years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN