The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I dabble with OnSong on my iPad and iPhone (syncs seamlessly via Dropbox), and I really enjoy the app. I've barely scratched the surface on its capabilities. I have 150-200 songs loaded, so far... just need to find time to add some more.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:32 AM

I’d love to have a tablet but I’m not allowed. Somehow I’d find a way to drop it in a toilet, so it’s 3 ring binders and sheet protectors. I have a tendency to space out but my memory isn’t completely shot though so I use lyric sheets so that I don’t lose my place. For me the biggest challenge is coming up with enough ongs to play, but once I get going I’m good for 45 minutes without stopping or repeating.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

A guitar player on the Decamp Forum is pleased with the Pro 12, so I'm going to try it. At $208, it's about 20% the cost of an iPad pro.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Vitually all equipment in my field of pro audio features a highly tactile user interface. With experience you can command it with your eyes closed. An operator relies on this to operate very quickly. For example, while maintaining eye contact with an artist or keeping his eyes on the screen, an operator's hands can find the right key to initiate his next command. It is SOP for an operator to find the key and lightly touch to locate or hover over it waiting for a split second need. Initiation of a command is confirmed by a tactile feedback. By contrast, a tablet, by its very nature, is the very antithesis of this. It has literally NO tactile interface AND an interface that responds to any touch with no feedback. As a result, no sightless tactile hovering possible. That's quite the paradigm shift.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I prefer to play from memory simply because I feel I cannot give my best performance if I'm reading. I don't like pads, books etc because I don't like to carry more stuff than I need and I don't like spending the time to set it all up.

Having said that, I do have an iPad and a page turner that I use for rehearsal, and I do carry them for off-the-wall requests that might come out of left field.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I prefer to play from memory simply because I feel I cannot give my best performance if I'm reading.
Beyond that, I have a hard time actually learning a song if I were always reading it from a "page", whether that be printed, or "virtual'.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic