The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaboodram1 View Post
your a really intelligent person and yout right..i should get to try both the prob is all i can do where i live...is order it from an online u.s store and then do overseas shippin after same thing with my music...i write soo much original songs n put it on youtube aswell as covers but i never get the veiwership cuz i dont have the networking
The good news: There are so many good guitars and good values to choose from right now.

The bad news: There are so many good guitars and good values to choose from right now.

If there were one brand that provided superior value over all competitors it would be an easy decision.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
The good news: There are so many good guitars and good values to choose from right now.

The bad news: There are so many good guitars and good values to choose from right now.

If there were one brand that provided superior value over all competitors it would be an easy decision.
I think that just about sums it up. We've never had such a great array of guitars at our disposal. I remember when I was starting out in the early 70s, a Les Paul copy (and a crummy one at that, with bolted neck, poor pickups etc etc) was about £130. And there wasn't much choice either. Now, you can go into a store and find a very playable acoustic or electric guitar for around £100. Ok, I'm talking the bottom end, but still better than the stuff we had to put up with 40 years ago and at a fraction of the price in real terms. And now of course, that's the case through all the price points; excellent gear is there. It's knowing what to choose that is the difficult bit!
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 04-05-2012, 03:35 PM

i always thought of yamaha as a cheapo guitar.

then again, i got my first guitar christmas 1999 which was a yamaha starter set. hehe

72 000-18
Old 09-17-2012, 01:37 PM

Default Yamaha AC3R

I bought a Yamaha AC3R limited bearclaw model a couple weeks ago and I am EXTREMELY pleased with it. I wanted to chime in here on this thread because unlike most others posting here, I was actually looking to DOWNGRADE a bit. My main guitar is a Ryan Nightingale, and let me tell you, in my opinion, it's hard to beat the sound and playability of a Ryan, in any price range. I've owned the Ryan since 2003, and I've been looking for something that I'd feel more comfortable hauling around without getting damaged - more of a comfortable workhorse guitar than a pristine, world-class instrument that my Ryan is. Long story short - I've played many Taylors and now having owned the Yamaha AC3R, it very much seems like Yamaha was really going for a Taylor-esque type of guitar. It reminds me VERY much of a 314, but at less than half the cost. I agree with other posts here that some of Yamaha's models are lower end - you'd really have to play a few to find a great one, whereas you can pretty well guarantee that any Taylor 314 will be consistent with one another. But let me say I am very impressed with the fit, finish, and playability of this new A series Yamaha. It's beautiful - I keep pulling it out of the case and am impressed each time. In my honest opinion, I really think this is on par with the Taylors. When you consider the major cost difference, the Yamaha DEFINITELY has more bang for the buck. No one can tell you for sure what you need to get - but if you're looking at the Taylor and the Yamaha AC3R, I believe the caliber of these intruments is in the same class and you should do yourself a favor and get your hands on both before you make a final decision. Ok, that's my 2 cents!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:00 PM

I know this thread is a little old, but here is my input...

I feel that the plugged in sound of the A3 series Yamahas is MUCH MUCH NICER than almost any other stock pickup system I've played (Taylor ES included). For those recommending a 214ce at the same price point... you've lost your mind (at least on paper, which doesn't always matter when selecting a guitar). And I actually like the 114/214 Taylors. But plugged in they will get eaten for lunch by the Yamaha.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 PM

A3R here, and though i got this guitar mainly for being plugged, the more i play it, the more its unplugged sound grows on me. Not the biggest volume, though it this is changing fast as the guitar opens up, but such a nice balance in the sound, no boom (it's a dreadnought) but very round and deep basses, sharp and dry mids that are very well defined, clear and silky highs. The neck feels very good. Incredible value for a below 1k guitar. and as said above, the SRT preamp really is something !
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM

Default follow up

My brother owns a Taylor 314, 2001 or 2002, and I just got back from a visit with him in which I played it all weekend. I noticed some differences in it and my Yamaha AC3R that I thought I'd add from my previous post. First, xuoham described it well - it's not as loud as a Taylor, but the thing I just couldn't get past when I was playing the taylor this weekend is that my Yamaha just seemed to have so much more of a real-wood, warmth to the tone. I enjoy the 314 a lot, and while the volume is a bit greater, it just didn't seem to have the warmth and character of wood that my Yamaha (or my custom built Ryan) has. Also, the neck width on the yamaha is a bit slimmer - totally a preference. anyway, after a while longer having owned the Yamaha, I still think its an amazing bang-for-the-buck and I'd have to say I'd buy it again over a 314. (unless the newer 314's are much improved over the older ones - who knows, maybe they are - I haven't played a new one!) Also, the older Fishman eletronics on the Taylors are some of the worst stock pickups of any make, in my opinion. sounds like the guitar is strung with rubber bands. And the massive hole cut in the body for the preamp - rediculous. The taylor actually loses some tone and volume in my opinion because of this. I found it more enjoyable to play with the preamp opened up and turned out, so there was a sound hole pointed at my head. Strange yes, but hey - it moves more of the sound near my ears, right! Also, the case with the Yamaha is much nicer! My bro's plastic case that came with the taylor is showing some serious wear, and he doesn't hardly ever play, much less travel.

Last edited by jc_prodigy; 10-16-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added a comment about case
Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 PM

I have bought and sold over 20 guitars in the last 3 years used off kijiji, a Canadian website. Anyway of all my guitars and Ive had some nice ones takamine ean 40c blueridge bg 160, seagull artist rosewood, yamaha llx16 and now a taylor ga3 which I love, but........ I really miss my llx16 and should never of sold it. It sounded amazing. As much as I love my ga3 I really miss the Yamaha it played better than my ga3. Just considering the prices alone you wouldn't be to wise to pick the taylor 314. I would consider the yamaha ll16 or the yamaha ac3r, which I want to purchase real shortly.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_prodigy View Post
... that my Yamaha just seemed to have so much more of a real-wood, warmth to the tone. .....
I own an Ac3R since 1 year now, I have absolutely no regret. Since 1 year of playing the top has opened providing a very beautiful acoustic sound: it is like you describe : warm, woody, very well balanced.This guitar suits very well for finger picking.
I don't play a loot with mic but each time I do it, I enjoy that sound that seems almost natural because of the srt sound modeling implemented and mixable with piezzo. Ac3R is a great guitar.
Yamaha LJ16, LL16, APX700 ,Classical Paco Marin PM350
Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratman View Post
I own an Ac3R since 1 year now, I have absolutely no regret. Since 1 year of playing the top has opened providing a very beautiful acoustic sound: it is like you describe : warm, woody, very well balanced.This guitar suits very well for finger picking.
I don't play a loot with mic but each time I do it, I enjoy that sound that seems almost natural because of the srt sound modeling implemented and mixable with piezzo. Ac3R is a great guitar.
Same here with an A3R, after 8 month, the guitar really opened up, unplugged it now has a very round, woody, deep, but at the same time well balanced with a clearly ringing quality.
The volume also changed and it is now on par with my FG720s, which is rather on the loud side.
Sorry, i never let go an opportunity to praise my dear guitar because i think it is so great for what it is and one shouldn't be fooled by the name or the price. Thanks to Yamaha (i know there are other affordable quality guitars out there, Eastman, RK, ...) i have a tremendous all solid wood guitar that's awesome and on top of it it has one of the best preamps, period.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:36 PM

Hey, I know I’m resurrecting a zombie thread from 2012, but I am curious how long term owners of the Yamaha ac3r still like it vs long term Taylor 314ce owners. I just bought the Yamaha used, and it a great guitar, but the neck is little thin feeling. I am also looking at a used 2012 314ce, which I know has the 1-3/4” neck. Your thoughts are appreciated!
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
taylor 314ce, yamaha