The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 01:21 PM

Default Strings not in same place across saddle after string change?

Hi all,

I’ve of just recently changed string on my brand new Martin. I then noticed the high E and B strings are not exactly in the same place on the saddle as the previous strings. There are tiny little grooves that were etched into the saddle with the original strings. They’re off maybe 1mm or so from these etches now. Is this common? Does it even matter? Should I loosen the strings to try to get them into the same place as they were before the string change?
Old 03-03-2021, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Saddles made from bone seem to be getting softer and softer these days and grooving very easily. But yes, I always make sure the strings are in the same place, even if it's in a slight groove. When it becomes too notched, I will resurface the saddle to remove the grooves (which will lower the action slightly) or replace the saddle completely.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-03-2021, 01:32 PM

Just loosen the strings a little and move them into their original locations.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Just loosen the strings a little and move them into their original locations.
Unless you LIKE where they are in their new positions. But be careful. Talk to a luthier (or just a guitar repair guy) about how the gauge where the string spacing should be. It is an esoteric endeavor to space them, involving how tight they are, diameter, open space between its neighbors, etc. I got into a LONG discussion with a guy setting up my 12-string Dobro (of which I understood little).

If I were you, I would use the original notches unless they made your playing more difficult. Martin set them up they way they thought best and substituting your judgement for theirs is a leap most guitarists don't make without considerable thought and preparation.

Thanks for asking our opinions.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I took another look tonight and put the high E and B string back in the original etched grooves and quickly realized that in the original spots the strings look quite skewed from the bridge pins, this is where Martin had them. Where the stings naturally fell on the saddle when I changed strings seems to have a straight line over the saddle to their bridge pins. So I’m thinking of leaving the strings where they naturally fall as they don’t look skewed this way. Am I wrong?
Old 03-03-2021, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Balance View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I took another look tonight and put the high E and B string back in the original etched grooves and quickly realized that in the original spots the strings look quite skewed from the bridge pins, this is where Martin had them. Where the stings naturally fell on the saddle when I changed strings seems to have a straight line over the saddle to their bridge pins. So I’m thinking of leaving the strings where they naturally fall as they don’t look skewed this way. Am I wrong?
I would say no, you are not wrong. I would (have done) do the same thing.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 03-03-2021, 06:04 PM

Double post

Last edited by Dr.Balance; 03-03-2021 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 03-03-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Balance View Post
Are they evenly spaced apart? If 1) the strings fall naturally into place and 2) the strings are spaced evenly apart, then I would just leave it alone.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:37 PM

Sometimes the saddle can move a bit, left or right, when changing strings. Also, it’s possible to twist the strings a tad when inserting them in bridge and locking them with pins.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
Are they evenly spaced apart? If 1) the strings fall naturally into place and 2) the strings are spaced evenly apart, then I would just leave it alone.
I measured center of string to center of string over the saddle. They are almost spaced evenly, with no more than 0.5mm in deviation. The G & B and B & E having 0.5mm more between them than the low E & A and A & D. Is this reasonable enough for me to leave it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
Sometimes the saddle can move a bit, left or right, when changing strings. Also, it’s possible to twist the strings a tad when inserting them in bridge and locking them with pins.
I did notice some bridge pins were a little twisted. I loosened the strings and pulled the pins and reseated them. Hard to do with the strings in there. One pin went flying across the room when I tuned to pitch. Anyway after this I ended up with the above measurements.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:21 AM

Default String path should be straight from bridge pin to saddle...

It’s quite easy to get a slight angle in the string path, particularly with the non-wound treble strings. You can assume the bridge holes are correctly spaced so the string path should be straight from the centre of the bridge pin and over the saddle.

Just loosen the string so you can easily line it up, and then move it so it exits the bridge pin and goes over the saddle with a straight path. After a little while you will get a slight notch in this correct position which will make it easier to align the string paths in future.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:38 AM

Look at how the strings line up in and out of the grooves. In the grooves probably makes a slight angle across the saddle. If you leave them out of the grooves, how does it change the relative string spacing? I have rejected buying many guitars because of this in the past. It seems that QC is lacking. Just my opinion.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:06 PM

Yeah, I think I’ll just change the strings again and this time make sure the pin slots are perfectly lined up facing the saddle. This is exactly where I went wrong. I did a nice clean job on the string posts though.

I wish I noticed I skewed the slots before the strings made new etches in the saddle. It looks a little fugly now. This pin slot lesson I learned is NOWHERE on any sting change video or in anything I read about about changing strings before my attempt. Making sure the slots are PERFECTLY lined up in front of the saddle vs simply just facing the saddle, I guess in retrospect it should have been logical but it’s just one of those things you don’t think about.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:01 PM

I changed strings today, used the Taylor method and made sure the pins slots were aligned perfectly. Things look good, sounds great!

Thank you all for the advice.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

I would replace them to their original grooves. Make sure you loosen them so you dont chip or gouge the bone under tension.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion