The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-02-2021, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I have owned both a Fender Acoustic 100 and a Loudbox Mini. For lower volumes to coffeehouse size situations, the Acoustic 100 sounds much nicer than the Loudbox Mini. The LBM is a tank and can handle gigging situations very well, where those same conditions added a bunch of scratches a stuff to my Acoustic 100. Plus the effects on the Fender are a lot nicer and much more user friendly. For the situation you describe, I would choose the Fender. I am definitely a fan of the Loudbox amps and own both the Artist and Performer amps and will probably pick up another Mini at some point. They are great gigging amps, but tonewise in a controlled environment the Acoustic 100 just sounds better.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-02-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I have owned both a Fender Acoustic 100 and a Loudbox Mini. For lower volumes to coffeehouse size situations, the Acoustic 100 sounds much nicer than the Loudbox Mini. The LBM is a tank and can handle gigging situations very well, where those same conditions added a bunch of scratches a stuff to my Acoustic 100. Plus the effects on the Fender are a lot nicer and much more user friendly. For the situation you describe, I would choose the Fender. I am definitely a fan of the Loudbox amps and own both the Artist and Performer amps and will probably pick up another Mini at some point. They are great gigging amps, but tonewise in a controlled environment the Acoustic 100 just sounds better.
Again. Thanks a lot everyone. I think I might go with the 100 since my situation is as you described. It won’t be moving from its spot in the living room once I put it there and it would be very low volume with a touch of reverb most of the time. Although I might get weird and save some cash and get the SFX II. The multi speakers is drawing me.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahanien View Post
...Fender Acoustic 100...One more bit of rambling....aesthetics. My wife is heavy into interior design. Took a lot of convincing to get a couple of my guitars displayed in the home. So I think she would much prefer the Fender Acoustic 100 as an actual design element over any of the others since it will be displayed in the living room.
At very least I'm sure your wife would like the Fender more than probably any other units mentioned so far, but I'd like to point out the Schertler Giulia, which may or may not be more than you're willing to spend. There's some good threads here on it, and video too.

Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 03-02-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
At very least I'm sure your wife would like the Fender more than probably any other units mentioned so far, but I'd like to point out the Schertler Giulia, which may or may not be more than you're willing to spend. There's some good threads here on it, and video too.

Schertler looks great ! I’m sure it sounds phenomenal as well but I think I have included BLuetooth now as a must since I will likely be using it as a music speaker as well occasionally. So it looks like the acoustic 100 is the front runner unless I am willing stump up some more moola for the SFX II.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:18 AM

I absolutely LOVE my Elite Acoustics D6-8, and keep it in the living room. The feature set is incredible and the sound is more like what you would expect from a studio setup than live sound gear. I prefer it to the AER amps even, especially for vocals. The built in pole mount is so much better than a regular guitar stand as well. This all wood version would look wonderful in a living room:

https://shop.eliteacoustics.com/coll...-digital-mixer
Old 03-02-2021, 01:05 PM

Schertler Jam was the best acoustic amp I've played, but I no longer own it. I am really liking the Alto Trouper for pure, clean sound and I prefer it over the Loudbox Mini.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:16 PM

I have the Mini and the Mini charge. I see no need to look farther.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:57 PM

Default Think outside the "box"

Quote:
One more bit of rambling....aesthetics. My wife is heavy into interior design. Took a lot of convincing to get a couple of my guitars displayed in the home. So I think she would much prefer the Fender Acoustic 100 as an actual design element over any of the others since it will be displayed in the living room.
Buy the amp you like the most, your wife's aesthetics notwithstanding.

Then make, find or have a cabinet made that satisfies your wife's vision. Open, cloth front so as not to interfere with the sound and a panel/door that opens to give access to controls and ports for the wiring.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; 03-02-2021 at 02:57 PM. Reason: subject line
Old 03-03-2021, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

One more bit of rambling....aesthetics. My wife is heavy into interior design. Took a lot of convincing to get a couple of my guitars displayed in the home. So I think she would much prefer the Fender Acoustic 100 as an actual design element over any of the others since it will be displayed in the living room.
Welcome to the club. I had to threaten to build a roadhouse bar complete with stage and dance floor in my basement just to house my guitars and amps of I couldn't have them upstairs. She said to do it then. Anything that comes upstairs gets chased back down pretty quickly.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-03-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
Buy the amp you like the most, your wife's aesthetics notwithstanding.

Then make, find or have a cabinet made that satisfies your wife's vision. Open, cloth front so as not to interfere with the sound and a panel/door that opens to give access to controls and ports for the wiring.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
This is actually a very good "compromise".

I had a couple different bass amp heads with beat-up tolex so I pulled it off and re-covered with upholstery fabric. My main gigging amp had a really funky Egyptian hieroglyphics design and I often got comments and questions about it, all favorable.

There's usually upholstery shops nearby that would most likely be happy to do an amp case one the electronics are removed.

All those amps with the lacquered Birch ply just look like the manufacturer was looking for a way to save money on producing a product and then convincing the consumer that they should pay extra money for it.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:00 AM

All of my acoustics are equipped with K&K pups.

For years I solo gigged with a Fender Acoustasonic Jr amp and I loved it. The tilt back legs were also super for getting my sound to the back of the room and the vocal channel was outstanding.

While that amp had built in effects, in a gigging situation I found it much faster and more accurate to use preset pedals vs spinning the dials on the amp and trying to remember the right settings. SO... I loaded my BOSS BCB-6 case with the following:

* BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay

* BOSS TR-2 Tremolo

* BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus

* BOSS DM-2 Analog Delay

* BOSS BF-2 Flanger

* Mosaic 12 string effect

These pedals give me exactly what I need with one quick stomp.

Eventually, I discovered the Fishman Loudbox amps and bought a Mini and a Performer. Once again, I've stuck with the pedals vs spinning the dials on the amp.

In reality, the Mini is perfect for 95% of the pre-pandemic gigs I played. I think both the Mini and Performer sound better than my former Fender, but you should still check into a old Acoustasonic Jr. They sound very good and you can't beat the style!

Old 03-03-2021, 12:57 PM

Fender Acoustic Junior

Looks like I have settled on the fairly new to market Fender Acoustic Junior. Looks pretty good. Nice features and reasonable price. I would like to get the SFX II but I just don’t need all that and it’s pricier. Thanks for all the input everyone. I’ll probably get one by the end of the month and post my impressions.

Last edited by Prahanien; 03-03-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fender Acoustic Junior

Looks like I have settled on the fairly new to market Fender Acoustic Junior. Looks pretty good. Nice features and reasonable price. I would like to get the SFX II but I just don’t need all that and it’s pricier. Thanks for all the input everyone. I’ll probably get one but the end of the month and post my impressions.
Congrats on your decision and yes, please report back!
Old 03-07-2021, 09:23 PM

Default Check this out for a nice amp 100 watts

https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/f....jpg.auto.webp
Old 03-08-2021, 02:09 AM

When it comes to reviews and ravings about acoustic amps: AER is the number one. Fishman is number two. Then there is nothing...and then there is the rest.

To my knowledge, I have never seen such clear pattern for any other product.
I don't have an AER or a Fishman but I have been thinking like you because of this pattern. That anything else probably be a waste of money.

You'll have other solutions like bose S1 and some active speakers that also have fantastic reviews. But when it comes to acoustic amps it's AER and Fishman.

There are individuals that likes lots of stuff but AER and Fishman has a choir.

I've seen Boss on 50% in the states (2020 black friday). Things like that also change things.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification