The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-22-2021, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I think this is what some people are saying, but I'll try to say it from a rank beginner's perspective who has recently discovered the power of the capo. Sometimes,, I might find a song in say, the key of E, and the key of E is a little low for me. If I play it in the key of G, even though the chords are relatively the same, they just sound a little wonky together comparatively and don't sound right because there are are little voicing differences in the chords themselves. If I capo up and play the key of E chords, which are the ones we are familiar with for said song, it settles everything down and it sounds just like it is supposed to, except it is in the key of G. This isn't always the case when switching keys, but it is often enough that knowing how and when to use the capo is a good thing to think about. If I find a song I like and transpose it to a different key and it sounds strange for some reason, I'll put it back to the original key and capo. That almost always solves the problem. If I'm wrong, please correct me as I am just learning too.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 02-22-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
I am a beginning guitar player. I started playing a little after the start of the COVID 19 pandemic as something to occupy my time and it has really taken hold of me. My question is should I use a capo or not? I learned a simple lead for “Red Haired Boy” in the keys of A Maj. and again in G Maj. To me one isn’t any more difficult to play than the other. I have noticed, however that most tutorial/instructional videos about this tune teach you to play it in G Maj. and capo up to frets to sound it in A Maj. I see similar situations in other tunes, so what is the advantage of playing everything in G? Are they all banjo players or something? I can understand changing the voicing, but is that the only reason?
The main reason guitarists use capos is to be able to play easy shapes in keys which suit their voice. Different songs need to be in different keys according to how limited one's vocal range is.

For instrumental music, it's a more subtle issue.

Obviously, the higher the fret position the closer the frets, so stretches are easier for certain chords. The higher sound of the guitar might also be a reason for using a high capo position when a lower one (or no capo) is just as easy.

A secondary issue is that a capo makes the guitar's action perfect. But that's secondary because with a good set-up it would make no difference: the nut should be the same height as a fret.

More important would be when playing with other musicians. If that's banjo or mandolin players it ought not to be essential to use a capo (unless they are also capo'd up for some unusual key). Normally, I suspect it's useful to have the guitar with no capo, so it can provide lower harmonies against the higher ones of mandolin or banjo.

If playing with horns of various kinds (sax, trumpet etc) then capos are often useful because their easy keys are tough ones for guitar, and vice versa.

But if you're playing solo, and not singing, then it's totally up to you whether you use a capo or not, and (if you do) what fret you put it on. (Obviously if you need to play along with an original track while learning the tune, you need to be in the same key, but that's the only thing.)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:15 AM

I have been playing for 50+ years. I play with all kinds of groups and solo.

I have never had the need to use a capo. It is my opinion you will be better off learning chord theory and transposing.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Use what works for you. Ignore the naysayers.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am a beginning guitar player. I started playing a little after the start of the COVID 19 pandemic as something to occupy my time and it has really taken hold of me. My question is should I use a capo or not? I learned a simple lead for “Red Haired Boy” in the keys of A Maj. and again in G Maj. To me one isn’t any more difficult to play than the other. I have noticed, however that most tutorial/instructional videos about this tune teach you to play it in G Maj. and capo up to frets to sound it in A Maj. I see similar situations in other tunes, so what is the advantage of playing everything in G? Are they all banjo players or something? I can understand changing the voicing, but is that the only reason?
Hi Jim, and welcome to the party.
I'm from a largely folk/country/bluegrass background and I use the G "shape" and C "shape" for almost everything I play, and I use a capo to utilise the "shapes" to give me just about every other key.

It's great that you are learning red haired boy, but remember that in bluegrass and such -the guitar is mainly providing a rhythm backing for the singers and the other instruments.

That means that the vocals mostly dictate the key, and , yes, banjo, mando, fiddle, and dobro players do like G (or D).

One thing you wrote which perhaps you didn't mean as I read it was :

"I see similar situations in other tunes, so what is the advantage of playing everything in G?"

Of course, not withstanding what I said about preferred keys, by using the capo, you may be using a G "shape" but in any other key (within reason - that's where the C shape also comes in handy).

So, just in case, remember the "shape" isn't the same as the key.
If all the above was a statement of the obvious, Forget my attempt to clarify, and I'll see my self out.

All the best in your new endeavour!
Old 02-22-2021, 12:10 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I have never had the need to use a capo. It is my opinion you will be better off learning chord theory and transposing.
One can certainly learn chord theory and transposing and still want to use a capo to play “Here Comes the Sun”

These things are not mutually exclusive.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
“You can move the capo up or down to fit your vocal range”. That one has me stumped. If you are in a certain key, you are in that key irrespective of what octave you are singing in.
Unsure of why this is confusing.

If Wildwood Flower is in C, but you can't SING the lowest notes, you can capo up 3 frets and play it in the 'absolute' key of E flat *while still using the patterns in C.*

So chord shape-wise, you are playing in C, but the *sound* of the song is now in E flat.

Personally, I almost never use a capo - but that is only due to my own musical direction. I play original music and always arrange my own part.

If I was playing covers, I might think differently.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited by Gordon Currie; 02-22-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I think you should learn the positions without a capo,. I started off with open chords but quickly started using Bar chords because you can move up and down the neck and there are only two main positions until you start adding flats, minors etc.., bar chords also opens up intros and outros because you can play within the bar chords.
It kind of gives you a foundation to learn from
A capo is a lazy tool lol and I now use it also because sometimes it is easier but I also know open and bar chords to use with the capo
Old 02-24-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I think you should learn the positions without a capo,. I started off with open chords but quickly started using Bar chords because you can move up and down the neck and there are only two main positions until you start adding flats, minors etc.., bar chords also opens up intros and outros because you can play within the bar chords.
It kind of gives you a foundation to learn from
A capo is a lazy tool lol and I now use it also because sometimes it is easier but I also know open and bar chords to use with the capo
Yes, and totally agree on the tone, I love a capo'd guitar, but I still think you need to get the basics down first
Old 02-24-2021, 11:51 PM

"Thank God for capos. Otherwise, all my songs would be in G". John Prine
Old 02-25-2021, 01:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Mmmm...... In that case, after 50+ years of playing, if you haven't studied how to effectively use a capo then you still have some learning to do. There are significant generas of music (Americana/folk/bluegrass etc), featuring the flat top steel strung acoustic guitar, where the ability to effectively use a capo is fundamental to creating the timbre, rhythmic styles and augmentations.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:

You sound like a jazz musician... (Maybe your id is a clue? )

Nothing wrong with being a jazz musician, of course, but you're suggesting a capo is some kind of cheat, or an escape from learning theory and transposition, and it's not. It's just another tool, to get particular effects - effects which are rarely, if ever, required in jazz.

Some highly skilled and gifted musicians (perfectly capable of transposing, and often with plenty of theory knowledge) use capos, frequently.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:30 PM

Not everyone needs or wants to be proficient in all keys and understand music theory. Some of us just want to play songs and have fun.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:33 PM

If Keith Richards and Buddy Holly can use a capo, so can I!
Old 02-26-2021, 08:12 AM

When I was learning I never thought of a capo. I learned songs with mostly flat keys while accompanying brass and woodwind instruments. Playing with rock musicians in keys of A,E and B I learned to play sharps. Good experience on both ends. Playing alone I capo to where open strings get the effect I want. Good to have the experience, you never know who you may end up playing with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write