The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I’ll give ‘em a shot. I have an annoying habit of actually trying something before judging it.
Nice Roy...love it!
Old 03-03-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
in response to one of the comments in the YT video linked above, D'Addario appears to respond to a question asking differences from the XT line saying:

"Our XT line feels more natural and has enhanced life, while XS coated strings offer maximum life and a smoother feel."

So sounds like XS will be a thicker coating (more slick and less natural feeling) but longer lasting. maybe similar to nanoweb vs. polyweb in the Elixir line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking - these certainly sound like the polywebs - which don't seem to be as popular as the nanowebs. I probably will try a set at some point.

The XT's vs XS's is a bit different than poly vs nanoweb. The XT's are like the old EXP's where the wrap is coated first, The XS are coated after being wound. Both should have a pretty thin coating.

In general I would not write them (anything) off before trying them.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:43 PM

I'll probably give them a try, but I certainly didn't like the XT's.
I have a couple of EXP16's sets left, so I'm not in a hurry.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

So glad that I don't have the acid body chemistry thing, and enjoy string changing.

EJ 16s and 17s for me, Simples.

Hey folks, I'm now offering one to one lessons/meetings via Zoom! See: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=589058

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos
Old 03-04-2021, 05:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

I think the best analogy I can give you is this:

XS are like a plastic insulated wire.

XT are like the same wire with the insulation stripped off, but then the wire is 'tinned' with solder for maximum mechanical adhesion.

In other words the corrosion treatment becomes a part of the wire.

I have used them, and they basically feel like a normal set of their phosphor bronze, ie EJ-16's, etc.

They last quite a while.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 03-04-2021, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

To me the XT's (and i do like them) feel a tiny bit thicker and stiffer somehow compared top their EJ-16/17 counterparts. Maybe it's in my head...I've been told that before?

I'll give the XS a shot when I come across a set. But just to clear it up for me...the EXP's are no longer being made?
Old 03-04-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
To me the XT's (and i do like them) feel a tiny bit thicker and stiffer somehow compared top their EJ-16/17 counterparts. Maybe it's in my head...I've been told that before?

I'll give the XS a shot when I come across a set. But just to clear it up for me...the EXP's are no longer being made?
The EXP are still on the website at least.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:01 AM

I have used the EXP on my Martin jumbo for several years. I am on my second set of XT now, the first set lasted nearly 8 months, this set is on its sixth month. I will try the XS when these are ready to be changed, but first I have to try out a set of the Woodtones that I learned about on this forum, which I’ve had for a few months now. I do prefer the XT to the EXP.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:13 AM

“The guitar string that makes everything else sound like a thing of the past along with your money.”

Fender Copperburst Telecaster.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:33 AM

If the haters hate ‘em, that’s enough to motivate me to try them.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:03 PM

Taylor mentioned it above, but the XS appears to be the first coated string from D'addario akin to Elixirs, where the finished string is wrapped, as opposed to the individual wire. This would, theoretically, reduce the string noise many players disliked with EXP or XT strings.

I am a D'addario fan...I stocked up on EXP when they were BOGO last year, but I've used XTs and will try the XS strings as well. However, if all things were equal, I will prob end up back with EJ17 just because they freaking sound great and I can get them readily and inexpensively. For me, I've never gotten more than 6 weeks out of even a coated set with a lot of play, usually closer to 4 weeks. So the investment in coated, unless they're on sale, just doesn't make sense.

That being said (or typed), I look forward to seeing what the XS sound and play like.

Larrivée OM-03
Eastman E8OM-TC
Old 03-04-2021, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Taylor mentioned it above, but the XS appears to be the first coated string from D'addario akin to Elixirs, where the finished string is wrapped, as opposed to the individual wire. This would, theoretically, reduce the string noise many players disliked with EXP or XT strings.

I am a D'addario fan...I stocked up on EXP when they were BOGO last year, but I've used XTs and will try the XS strings as well. However, if all things were equal, I will prob end up back with EJ17 just because they freaking sound great and I can get them readily and inexpensively. For me, I've never gotten more than 6 weeks out of even a coated set with a lot of play, usually closer to 4 weeks. So the investment in coated, unless they're on sale, just doesn't make sense.

That being said (or typed), I look forward to seeing what the XS sound and play like.
Hey Matt...where ya been stranger? Hope all is well on your end!
Old 03-04-2021, 02:39 PM

I love Elixirs on my Taylors but I'm with Silly above. I've used J16s for going on 50 years and think I'll stick to 'em.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Hey Matt...where ya been stranger? Hope all is well on your end!
Hey Jim, nice to be missed! Just busy...it's been a nutty year! Hope you're doing well!

Larrivée OM-03
Eastman E8OM-TC
Old 03-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Hey Jim, nice to be missed! Just busy...it's been a nutty year! Hope you're doing well!
You said it! We're all good...poke your head in the door more often!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion