The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

There have been many single-digit days in So Cal this year and humidity can drop rapidly which indeed can crack a guitar.

I have heard that Westwood has closed permanently. Heard this from another shop in the area that has gotten some of their inventory, although the Westwood web site is still up so maybe it’s not permanent.

It’s good to hear all the recommendations for repair options in the area
Old 03-03-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
There have been many single-digit days in So Cal this year and humidity can drop rapidly which indeed can crack a guitar.

I have heard that Westwood has closed permanently. Heard this from another shop in the area that has gotten some of their inventory, although the Westwood web site is still up so maybe it’s not permanent.

It’s good to hear all the recommendations for repair options in the area
Would be interested to know which store got some of their inventory? Mccabes? Boulevard?

Also talk about humidity swings (outdoor). After a week or so of single digit humidity, it’s raining lol. Thank goodness my indoor rh is stable between 40-50.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 03-03-2021, 04:31 PM

I have also had John Wescott do work on several electrics with good results. He would be on my list.

As well as Renson in Studio City. They did a nice job setting up an SJ-200 for me and doing some setup and fret dressing on a Jazzmaster and Gretsch Anniversary. (Not really "repairs," but they did a nice job and I got a good vibe from them.) The SJ went back to Gibson and was replaced for other reasons, but I am planning to take the new SJ and a Martin to Renson soon for some setup and fret work.

David Neely as well. He had to look over the original SJ before Gibson would take it back. Some people think he's a little "opinionated..."

I thought I read that McCabe's closed.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrcat View Post
I have also had John Wescott do work on several electrics with good results. He would be on my list.

As well as Renson in Studio City. They did a nice job setting up an SJ-200 for me and doing some setup and fret dressing on a Jazzmaster and Gretsch Anniversary. (Not really "repairs," but they did a nice job and I got a good vibe from them.) The SJ went back to Gibson and was replaced for other reasons, but I am planning to take the new SJ and a Martin to Renson soon for some setup and fret work.

David Neely as well. He had to look over the original SJ before Gibson would take it back. Some people think he's a little "opinionated..."

I thought I read that McCabe's closed.
McCabes is alive and well. After more than 50 years, the couple who owned it retired. I could be wrong, but I believe a group of employees got together and bought it. Anyway, they're alive and well, as just this week I received a promo email from them.

scott memmer
Old 12-31-2021, 06:37 PM

Realized I never followed up here. Thanks to all those who recommended Neely. Great guy. Did a fantastic job. Will be relying on him for acoustics for the foreseeable future. I’ll give Renson a try at some point though.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:55 PM

Glad Dave worked put for you. He is a great guy who does fabulous work. Not to mention just shooting the breeze with him seemed like talking to an old friemd, lol!

But yes, absolutely go to Renson as well! Highly recommend him, with full confidence!

Edward
Old 03-02-2023, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

I recently had my 1945 000-28 Martin worked on by David Eichelbaum and I could not be happier. A true master and I absolutely love his candor!

As far as the humidity here in LA, I too am pretty close to the beach and observed some very low humidity days as of late this winter. With that, as others have said I find it hard to imagine that’s what caused the cracks. But I am no expert and that’s a bummer for sure!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion