The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-02-2021, 05:14 PM

Default Where Did It All Go?

I stumbled across this while perusing You Tube today.
Beautifully arranged and some delightful acoustic guitar.
Boy, those really were the “ good old days.”

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-02-2021, 06:04 PM

Maury's work backing up Jim Croce sure was tasty. (I read recently that the record company intended for Maury to be the leading name, with Jim as the backup guitarist, but that is not how it played out). Similarly, Red Shea's lead work backing up Gordon Lightfoot back in the day was wonderful too. I'll have to play that album tonight.

I'm sure that similar things are out there these days, but I'm not an active listener of new music, and it's unclear whether "the good stuff" can even be heard on commercial radio any longer.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Oh yeah, back in the day Photographs and Memories was a regular spin for a nice acoustic guitar fix. The Best of Bread and Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown are also old acoustic favorites from that time period and pretty awesome sounding records. Still play all today.

Collings, Froggy Bottom, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Taylor and the requisite Martin and Gibson
Old 02-02-2021, 09:38 PM
Musical minimalist

There's quite a story behind "I'll Have To Say I Love You In a Song"

Jim and Ingrid had a big fight right before he wrote it.

He'd signed an incredibly bad record deal and had to tour to make any money at all, even though he had 3 songs in the top 100 if I remember correctly.

When he did come home, there were always other musicians showing up and Ingrid and little A.J. were not getting the attention they wanted.

Jim wrote this song, and then promised her when the next leg of the tour was over, he'd quit and come back home (and probably drive truck again)

I think there were 6-7 nights in Louisiana and Texas. Unfortunately his plane went down after doing a "makeup" show in Louisiana.

I often wonder how many magical songs we missed in the 48 years since.

He was the reason I picked up the guitar in the first place. Funny - I just stumbled upon this recording from a few years back and uploaded it yesterday.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maicobmw View Post
...The Best of Bread.... are also old acoustic favorites from that time period and pretty awesome sounding records. Still play all today.
Being a child of the 70's I loved Bread songs too. David Gates has / had a lovely high tenor voice. I could not quite sing up in that range. Those album photos and the turntable could have been taken in my room, or in my dorm room in college. To this day I play many songs from those albums, especially Gordon Lightfoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
.....Unfortunately his plane went down after doing a "makeup" show in Louisiana. I often wonder how many magical songs we missed in the 48 years since.
We can only speculate how many great songs might have come out. It seemed like Jim Croce was really hitting his stride right then. Ditto for Harry Chapin and Ricky Nelson, also gone in accidents.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:15 PM

I miss the old acoustic-folk-singer/songwriter days. These men and women were poets, expressing themselves with an acoustic instrument. Songwriting at its best, to my ears!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 02-07-2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post

He was the reason I picked up the guitar in the first place. Funny - I just stumbled upon this recording from a few years back and uploaded it yesterday.

That's some fine playing/singing and a wonderful tribute Todd. The recording quality is also very nice. I enjoyed this thoroughly!

And man, what's the deal with great musicians and plane crashes? Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Randy Rhoads, Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, Stevie Ray Vaughn (helicopter I know).
Old 02-08-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
....And man, what's the deal with great musicians and plane crashes? Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Randy Rhoads, Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, Stevie Ray Vaughn (helicopter I know).
Pilots call this "get-there-itis". There is considerable pressure to make the next gig, so they often take off in marginal conditions and sometimes with inadequate equipment. Weather and poor decision making due to schedule issues are the main culprits, Patsy Cline being one example. Some were being flown around by their manager, not necessarily a professional pilot. In the case of Ricky Nelson, I understand that it was a well-worn and poorly maintained plane that probably never should have been flying. Aircraft are expensive and maintenance is expensive -- and maybe not the highest priority on the touring budget.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:58 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
That's some fine playing/singing and a wonderful tribute Todd. The recording quality is also very nice. I enjoyed this thoroughly!

And man, what's the deal with great musicians and plane crashes? Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Randy Rhoads, Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, Stevie Ray Vaughn (helicopter I know).
Thanks a bunch - yes, we've lost some great ones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN