The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-24-2020, 06:32 PM

Default Best Online Travis Picking Membership

I am looking for a good step by step guide to Travis Picking. I am a flat picker and looking for the best place to learn online. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:08 AM

Default Dan Holloway, Steve James

Dan Holloway has a great site, with songs arranged in 5 levels in order of complexity - several hundred on the list. He gives instruction, and then on the song site there’s tab, downloadable if you want. He’s a very pleasant guy, I think he had an association with Doc Watson and Merle Travis, you can join for a month to see if you like it, a year’s subscription is $100. Good teacher. I also just ordered a couple of books from Steve James off his site - I saw him on a free video on the Dream Guitars site, and I really liked his teaching style. He’s quite modest despite his distinguished career, when I ordered the books he sent me a hand written note asking me to contact him if I had problems with the audio downloads.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:02 AM

It's not online but "The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking" by Mark Hanson is a good tool. There is a book 1 & 2
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 11-25-2020, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the replies, is Dan Holloway general fingerpicking or Travis? I may wind up with Mark’s book. Was looking at Homespun today, anyone have any experience with their courses?
Old 11-26-2020, 07:55 AM

Default Dan Holloway

In many ways there’s not much difference, but he has some songs that he calls Travis. For me I think of Travis as alternating bass strings with the thumb, and treble strings with the fingers. He sometimes uses three fingers, as do it, assigning a finger to each string (which is also what Mark Hanson does), but he often says if you just want to use two, or even one, fingers you can.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:54 AM

Check out David Hamburger on Truefire or Youtube. He has several travis picking courses on Truefire, possibly on sale right now. He also offers a monthly subscription workshop available through his Fretboard Confidential website. Great instruction. I've been a member for over a year.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
Thanks for the replies, is Dan Holloway general fingerpicking or Travis? I may wind up with Mark’s book. Was looking at Homespun today, anyone have any experience with their courses?
Dan is not specific to travis picking. His site is basically a bunch of his arrangements, most of them pretty "meh". He picks them all the same way. He is about as straight forward as a player gets. Outside of some hammer ons/offs he does not add much to his playing. His site is not educational as much as a tutorial on how to play his tabs..
Old 12-04-2020, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsepicker View Post
Dan Holloway has a great site, with songs arranged in 5 levels in order of complexity - several hundred on the list. He gives instruction, and then on the song site there’s tab, downloadable if you want. He’s a very pleasant guy, I think he had an association with Doc Watson and Merle Travis, you can join for a month to see if you like it, a year’s subscription is $100. Good teacher. I also just ordered a couple of books from Steve James off his site - I saw him on a free video on the Dream Guitars site, and I really liked his teaching style. He’s quite modest despite his distinguished career, when I ordered the books he sent me a hand written note asking me to contact him if I had problems with the audio downloads.
Thank you for this recommendation. I just checked out his site and videos and this is exactly what I’ve been looking for..lots of songs I want to learn.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write