The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Default GS Mini Rumors...

I don't have any information, but I've heard through Facebook that there is a new GS Mini model and case coming at NAMM in January?? Just curious if anyone has any inside info on this?
Fender MIM Tele
Old 12-09-2019, 09:55 AM

Question

First time I’m reading about this rumor. Solid b/s? Most here say that will never happen. But it’ll be good if they make a few limited edition and guage the demand...
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-09-2019, 10:04 AM

New bracing!
Old 12-09-2019, 10:09 AM

I would like a Taylor style hard case for mine. I know SKB makes a good case, but I would really prefer the Taylor plush interior and exterior style that the full size guitars have. I don't travel a lot and mine stays at work, so a little heavier case with nicer appointments would be great for me....and probably a good number of others would want one too.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 12-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
I would like a Taylor style hard case for mine. I know SKB makes a good case, but I would really prefer the Taylor plush interior and exterior style that the full size guitars have. I don't travel a lot and mine stays at work, so a little heavier case with nicer appointments would be great for me....and probably a good number of others would want one too.
I agree, but even so the Taylor GS Mini gig bag is light years better than the one that comes with the Martin Dreadnought Jr. THAT is the biggest joke that has ever been shipped with a guitar. I'm frankly embarrassed for Martin that they actually pass that onto their customers.

I am, however a fan of hardshell cases for any guitar that I own. Hope Taylor feels the same way. There are a huge number of loyal GS Mini owners out there.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:14 PM

V bracing perhaps? Taylor may be about to start trickling it down to the MiM models. Why not? It doesn't cost them any extra.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
New bracing!
Since it's a Mini, would it be lower-case v bracing then?
Old 12-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Yet I've taken my Martin D Jr in it's gig bag as my back up guitar for the last two years w/o issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I agree, but even so the Taylor GS Mini gig bag is light years better than the one that comes with the Martin Dreadnought Jr. THAT is the biggest joke that has ever been shipped with a guitar. I'm frankly embarrassed for Martin that they actually pass that onto their customers.....
Old 12-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Yet I've taken my Martin D Jr in it's gig bag as my back up guitar for the last two years w/o issue.
I'm amazed. Good on you then. When I got my first DJr. & saw how thin and unpadded it was...I was quick to hunt down a HSC. Im "overprotective" that way, I guess.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I agree, but even so the Taylor GS Mini gig bag is light years better than the one that comes with the Martin Dreadnought Jr. THAT is the biggest joke that has ever been shipped with a guitar. I'm frankly embarrassed for Martin that they actually pass that onto their customers.

I am, however a fan of hardshell cases for any guitar that I own. Hope Taylor feels the same way. There are a huge number of loyal GS Mini owners out there.
I actually prefer the SKB hard bag - I have a Taylor Grand Concert with the nicer case and its hard but does not cradle the guitar well at all.

The hard case is better for being stepping on but the SKB seems much better for drops or tumbles.

I just bought two SKB's this week (crazy clearance prices): one for my Ibanez that never had a case and one for a project Taylor solidbody I am working on and I prefer this case over the original Taylor case.

My former GS Mini is where I fell in love with SKB hard bags.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-09-2019, 12:48 PM

I sent a note to Taylor a few months back suggesting they make a 00 size, full solid guitar. Not a L-00 style, but essentially a smaller version of their concert size. I'm sure they took my advice and this is what we should expect at NAAM.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
I used to have a GS Mini and the Taylor bag is very nice. Both Gator and SKB now have semi-rigid foam cases for the GS Mini.

I no longer have my GS Mini but I recently bought the SKB semi-rigid foam case for a new GS Mini-sized acoustic I'm building. It's a very nice case and very protective for the instrument unless something extreme happens like backing the car over it. (A hard case probably isn't going to withstand that, either...)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-09-2019, 01:18 PM
Musical minimalist

Years ago when the Big Baby first came out, I wished that they'd build a 5 series guitar in that same size (and with a wider neck!) A dread that is slightly smaller all around would be pretty appealing with all solid woods, gloss finish and a touch of bling!

Old 12-09-2019, 01:22 PM

I haven't heard anything, but I would love a Mini that is shaped like a small dreadnaught and has a 1 3/4 nut...

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 12-09-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I haven't heard anything, but I would love a Mini that is shaped like a small dreadnaught and has a 1 3/4 nut...
Maybe a GP Mini (Grand Pacific) with V bracing and a 1-3/4” nut

Last edited by DownUpDave; 12-09-2019 at 04:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion