The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 08:45 PM

Default D35 string quandary

Though I confirmed this topic has been well-covered over the years, I didn't see any posts that addressed my specific issue.

I've got a modified '79 D35 (maple bridge plate, popsicle brace removed) that responded fantastically to the work I had done on it. It opened it up and brought out a ton of volume, overtones and reverb, in addition to increasing the already-strong low end of the guitar. I've been playing 80/20 bluegrass strings on it and while I love the power they give the guitar, I feel like I'm missing some trebles and my fingers just don't like this combination of gauges, the BG strings feel awkward to me.

So I'm looking for more trebles, more of that warbly sound and I wonder if there's a gauge set that might be better for both trebles and playability. I'm also looking at getting the sound hole slightly enlarged to pick up trebles, but can anyone recommend a string alloy/gauge set that you think would be a good candidate for what I'm after? Thanks in advance
Old 12-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Guest 2223

I went from light gauge daddario NBs to medium Martin SP 80/20s to achieve just what you are describing. Looks like it may depend on the guitar.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

John Pearse "New Mediums" maybe?

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-08-2019, 09:55 PM

Try a set of medium gauge Phosphor Bronze strings.
Also consider trying different picks.
I like Dunlop Primetone 1.3 pick for my D-35.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:09 AM

I would tell you to first try DR Sunbeam strings. I have 12's on my '72 D35 and they sound great. A bit different but equally nice sounding are the D'Addario Nickel Bronze 12's.

The other cheap experiments that you might try are various bridge pins. Bridge pins typically don't affect the tone in general, but allow the harmonics to present differently in volume and/or sustain. They can also affect the sustain of the fundamentals as well. If you've got bone pins, try ebony or buffalo horn. It gets a bit tricky to find the right combination, but getting one set of ebony pins and one set of buffalo horn pins should cost you less than $30. Every guitar is different. But as you have a modified D35 it may require some further tweaking to get the correct string-to-string balance and right amount of highs and lows.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I use John Pearse 80/20 300M on my '70 D35. Dunno if it's going to give you what you hear in your head on the trebles, but works for me.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Yeah straight forward D'addario EJ17 Mediums, or similar.

I used to play a '73 D35 - for maybe 20 years - loved it.

I always put bluegrass gauge -because I was playing in bluegrass bands (mostly).

When I changed To Collings - which are more balanced than Martins (not knocking them though) I used EJ17s as recommend but decided that I didn't need medium 1st and 2nd, so swapped them out for light gauge.

However, in the last year or so, I've given tat up and just use mediums 13-56.

If you are lacking a little on the top e, b and G string, that extra 1/1000th might just do the trick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion