The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 07:59 PM

Default Thoughts on this ebay guitar

I'm looking at this used guitar on ebay and it looks like a really good deal from a reputable seller with a high feedback score (can these things be faked?). Only thing I'm really worried about is how it is missing a string and a pin, those things are replaceable though. Looking at the pictures, the peg and pin hole looks fine. What do you guys think about this listing? There are dents and stuff on it, but I'm going to be using this guitar as a guitar that I won't cry over if it gets messed up anyway (I actually will cry but not as much as if my other guitar gets hurt). I've never bought anything expensive on ebay before so does this look fishy? Could this possibly be a scam?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-114c...d6DAe#viTabs_0

edit: also after looking through other posts on this forum, everyone seems pretty wary of ebay, would it be better to go for a more expensive used guitar on reverb to avoid the possibility of scams?

edit again: Thanks for the replies everyone! Looks like it isn't a good deal. I guess I'll keep looking then.
Also, a lot of listings with good condition used Taylor 114ce list them at a price that is at least $600 dollars. What would you guys say be the maximum price a used Taylor 114ce in very good condition be to warrant buying a used one over a new one?

Last edited by Revel; 12-08-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:09 PM

Honestly, I’d prefer to buy the clean one with no issues on eBay for $200 more
Old 12-08-2019, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

IMO that's too much for that model in that condition.

You can pick up a pristine one for $450-$500 and if patient a good one around $400

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Charter Member

Considering the condition, that's not really that good of a deal. It doesn't say scam to me, but you can get that model for about the same price elsewhere in better shape. And if it's that beat up, there's every reason to think that there might be other things wrong with it.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

I've purchased one guitar on ebay and had a great experience. Personal contact with the seller, and it is my favorite guitar. This particular listing seems safe as far as ebay goes. The seller has a ton of positive feedback. In terms of this particular guitar, I've seen Taylor 114ce's in much better condition for the same price. The damage is pretty severe for me.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:13 PM

That dent shown in the pics suggest the guitar may have been dropped, and that could mean loose braces inside...Or maybe it was used as a club and the bridge pin popped out when it got the dent.
I have bought acoustic guitars on eBay before, and haven't had any issues.
Might have just been lucky!

Last edited by guitararmy; 12-08-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! Looks like it isn't a good deal. I guess I'll keep looking then.
Also, a lot of listings with good condition used Taylor 114ce list them at a price that is at least $600 dollars. What would you guys say be the maximum price a used Taylor 114ce in very good condition be to warrant buying a used one over a new one?
Old 12-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I think it says a lot about a seller who can't be bothered to install a bridge pin and a string but says that the guitar plays well...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I think it says a lot about a seller who can't be bothered to install a bridge pin and a string but says that the guitar plays well...
Definitely does not instill confidence.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-08-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfaz View Post
I've purchased one guitar on ebay and had a great experience. Personal contact with the seller, and it is my favorite guitar. This particular listing seems safe as far as ebay goes. The seller has a ton of positive feedback. In terms of this particular guitar, I've seen Taylor 114ce's in much better condition for the same price. The damage is pretty severe for me.
Good for you. I'm the other shoe; I purchased one guitar on eBay from a private seller and received a so-called "great" guitar with a lifting bridge and the seller seemed to hint that somehow I was either trying to scam him or I had done something to the bridge to cause it to rise. However the seller had little or no history of selling on eBay so I didn't have that to guide me.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-08-2019, 08:50 PM

It comes with a $250 amp (in some condition). If you want the amp that makes the guitar cheaper.

Personally I wouldn't buy a damaged guitar like that one, but if you have a tight budget and are looking for a guitar and amp to play for a while it might be worth the gamble.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-08-2019, 09:02 PM

never mind
Old 12-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

I’d keep shopping...

IMO there are better deals/guitars out there at that price point.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 12-09-2019, 04:21 AM

I forgot that the Peavey amp was included in that price. I couldn't find a pic of the amp in that listing, but that model amp goes for $250 new.

If you could use the amp, that's not a bad deal at all.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:31 AM

The seller is a high volume liquidator. They are most likely buying out storage units and/or liquidating estates. They are not a guitar dealer or expert. They do a very large volume and have excellent feedback, which is a good thing. They also offer a 30 return period, another good thing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this type of seller and excellent deals can be had from them as they aren't experts and are looking to move inventory, not get every last cent out of a deal. I got my 000-28 from an ebay seller just like this.

As for this actual guitar. It's well used for sure and almost certainly needs a setup. it comes with a $250 amp and it has free shipping so it's definitely not a bad deal. It has a best offer function and I'd be willing to bet you could get it for $350. A savvy buyer could buy it for $350, sell the amp on craigslist for $150, pay $75 for a setup and still end up with a good guitar for under $275. That does seems like a bit of work though....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ebay, fishy?, used guitar