The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-07-2019, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I am looking at the HX Stomp and wondering how it does with both electric guitar and acoustic guitar. I am after the best acoustic tone I can get from a Carvin SH575 which has the piezo bridge along with two humbuckers for the electric tone. It also has a lot of nice tone shaping on board for both signals and both can be separate or blended.
Has anyone used the HX Stomp for both electric and acoustic. If so, how would you rate the acoustic tone?
I have the HX effects but I think the HX Stomp has the added benefit of the stereo tube preamp which should be outstanding for the acoustic guitar. That plus the IR plus the Eq and usual effects should make for an excellent tone.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 12-07-2019, 10:22 PM

Lots of thanks to all who have shared your ideas in my post here. I am researching all of them and deep into watching videos as well. Looks like the HX Stomp is the top runner for now. But I am considering the Elite Acoustics Stompmix X6. Any thoughts about that?? I like that it is actually a mixer with a lot of effects and can handle two inputs for my guitar and my vocal as well. Just not sure what it might sound like with my guitar plugged in.

Any ideas or thoughts on the Elite Acoustics Stompmix X6??
Old 12-08-2019, 11:29 AM

I think the hx stomp will be the best choice for you. If you dont need the amp modeling get the hx effects because you will get more fx blocks and a better 6 button looper.

Ive been gigging for years with a dual source piezo(ghost) electric guitar. Started out with a voicelive 3 and while it worked great, the guitar effects (and latency) where not up to par with the helix, not even close. The vocal side of the voicelive was good though. I current use a Headrush gigboard and love it. I run the piezo side through the effects loop input and run a split rig (LR outputs) so the mag/piezo can run into two separate channels of a mixer. I have a quick switch allowing me to switch between piezo and mag. pup. What super cool about the helix and headrush is you can load IR samples of acoustic guitars.

Last edited by tribedescribe; 12-08-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I am looking at the HX Stomp and wondering how it does with both electric guitar and acoustic guitar. I am after the best acoustic tone I can get from a Carvin SH575 which has the piezo bridge along with two humbuckers for the electric tone. It also has a lot of nice tone shaping on board for both signals and both can be separate or blended.
Has anyone used the HX Stomp for both electric and acoustic. If so, how would you rate the acoustic tone?
I use the HX Stomp mostly for acoustic but also for my electric tones. I use half a dozen patches for my acoustic which are basically slightly different flavours of my core tone which I created myself. I use the scroll up/down mode to switch between my patches and find this quick and convenient for my needs. This also allows you to use the excellent onboard tuner/mute.

Be prepared to spend time dialing in your sound and don't be tempted to use other people's presets. Experiment with different preamp and eq blocks to see which ones work best for you. For example, I found that using a simple gain block to raise the level followed by a small amount of IR (yes the stomp can use impulse responses too) and a parametric eq to shape my tone was all I needed for my basic sound. The mic preamp model added too much colour for my needs.

I actually use very little in the way of effects....remember the room you perform in has its own natural reverb and depending on the situation, the listener will be hearing that mixed with the sound coming out of your speaker.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:37 PM

I bought the Boss GT-1 with this in mind. For my acoustic I just used the reverb and tremelo, with the foot pedal set as a volume pedal.But ultimately I could never get a sound I liked, acoustically. For the electric - you know when you have too many choices? - I kept on using complicated patches when I know I should keep it simple but I couldn't help myself - the 14 yo head banger in me came out. I don't use it anymore....bought some stand-alone pedals. Much better! Interested to see what you end up with.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-09-2019, 10:05 AM

I was in a Dead cover band when I was mostly an acoustic player. I used a Zoom A21U with an electric and it worked surprisingly well. Some of the presets sounded great, or you can program whatever effects you want to use.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:20 AM

I run all my guitars through a Helix. I've toyed with adding other pedals to it via the send/return, but usually don't find I gain much over what is available. The one exception is the compressors are hard to set because they don't have internal metering, so I'm currently trying out a Boss CP-1X that way.

Anyway, 3 acoustics, 1 electric, multiple patches for each setup. It's great.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 12-10-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I've used the HX stomp with acoustic impulse responses loaded and it offers a very natural acoustic sound.... one of the best treatments I've heard for smoothing out that typical piezo quack. I also have the Zoom A2, which does a decent job, but use of the HX stomp with an acoustic IR is significantly better.

I have used the HX stomp with the Michael Kelly hybrid (with piezo underbridge and standard humbuckers) and gotten good results. You can set up two simple, separate signal paths for the piezo and humbuckers, but you can't get too fancy with it, as you have a 6 effect limit. The stomp also allows the two inputs to be sent to separate amps, so there's that. I have been using the headrush FRFR 112 Full Range Full Response speaker, which does the trick for both electric and acoustic guitars through the HX Stomp. With the HX Stomp and the Headrush speaker, I can pretty much do everything I need.

You can also use acoustic impulse responses with the HX effects, which will give you more available effects as well as path splitting, you just lose the amp modeling you get on the HX stomp. I have not actually done this with the HX Effects... but it should work the same as the stomp from what I understand about it.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:11 PM

I really appreciate all the good help on this. I am taking it all in and doing my research considering what I plan to do with the pedal and what I need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification