The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-26-2019, 07:35 AM
The North American Guitar - Richard Poll's Avatar
The North American Guitar - Richard Poll The North American Guitar - Richard Poll is offline
AGF Sponsor

Default Incoming Taran Tirga Mhor Model Heading To TNAG Nashville

We are eagerly anticipating our next arrival from Scottish luthier Rory Dowling aka Taran Guitars - a Tirga Mhor model in Tasmanian Blackwood and Adirondack Spruce. Check out the build thread that TNAG's Annie Wheeler, who previously apprenticed as a luthier with Rory, has put together on this sensational looking instrument. This guitar will be heading to our Nashville showroom upon completion.

Model: Tirga Mhor DS7

Spec:

Back & Sides - Master Grade Tasmanian Black back and sides
Double Side construction with Scottish Larch and Black interior
Taran Guitars Compression Braces on back
Soundboard - Master grade Adirondack Spruce.
Rosette - Hot Sand fade Scottish Walnut with Scottish Sycamore.
Bindings - Ebano & Double Scottish Sycamore purfling.
Front Purfling - Opposite Hot sand fade Scottish Walnut & Scottish Sycamore.
Bevel - Hot Sand fade Scottish Walnut.
Neck - Negative taper Padauk with 2 way truss rod and carbon fibre reinforcements.
Fret Board - Fan Fret Ebony bound with Ebano.
Fret Markers - Gold Circles with Red and Gold Circles at 12th fret.
Frets - Evo Gold wire with Semi-hemispherical fret ends.
Headstock - Hot Sand fade Scottish Walnut front and back.
Tuners in Gold with black button Gotoh 510 21:1.
Hand Carved Solid Ebony Bridge with Ebony Pins.
t. Hand cut in Gold.
Case - Calton Hard case in Orange and Black
Scales - 645mm to 660mm
Frets to body - 12 also perpendicular fret
Body Length - 510mm
Max Body Width - 402mm
Depth - 124mm
Width at nut - 45mm
Spacing at saddle - 59mm
String Weight - 12-56

This model is the Tirga Mhor which was developed in collaboration with Martin Simpson and uses the same materials as the final instrument which Martin bought.

The Tirga Mhor is a 12 fret 000. The bridge position combined with the Fanfret of 660mm (25.9 inches) to 645mm (25.3 inches) allows the instrument to sing in all tunings.

The Back and Sides are MasterGrade Tasmanian Blackwood which are not only stunning to the eye but tonally produce a direct and woody but beautifully rich warmth.

[IMG]

Old 11-26-2019, 07:38 AM
The North American Guitar - Richard Poll The North American Guitar - Richard Poll is offline
AGF Sponsor

Default Incoming Taran Tirga Mhor Model Heading To TNAG Nashville - Compression Braces!

To further heighten the life and voice of the instrument, compression braces will be used -

"I’ve recently made a development with the way in which I brace the back of my guitars- which I’ve named “compression braces”.
The principle of the compression braces is to maintain the cylindrical back profile as with all Taran instruments, but allow it to vibrate while giving a reflective surface for sound waves.
Benefits are 3 fold:

Comfort-
People always say to me that my guitars are particularly comfortable because of the cylindrical back profile. This characteristic allows you to play a large instrument and it not feel too big. It feels deceptively smaller bodied as the widest part of the lower bout is also the narrowest in depth. As opposed to rib rest that cuts the edge off, the cylindrical back profile hugs the player and also brings the playing position into a closer and to a more natural posture.

Projection-
We could go into the complexities of the vibrations of a guitar here however, if you imagine sound as a tennis ball for a moment. If you throw that ball against a bed sheet on a washing line it will disappear into the sheet and then fall to the ground. If you throw the same ball against a brick wall, it will come back and hit you in the face! In guitar terms, the reflection of sound off of this solid surface is vital in order to hear the guitar, as both a player and audience. The cylindrical profile of the back makes an extremely reflective surface that throws the vibrations off of the sound board, out of the sound hole, into the ears of the player and far beyond.

Colour of sound-
Every piece of wood has its own tonal quality and influences the instruments sound differently. This is where the compression braces really start to work their magic. The nature of the compression brace is to have minimal mass on the back of the guitar. This allows the back to vibrate as freely as possible across its entire area. This resonance influences the sound of the guitar, allowing the character of each variety of wood used to be maximised; be it rich, earthy, bright or dry."

-Rory Dowling speaking about compression braces. You can read more about these here: https://www.taranguitars.co.uk/blogp...ts-back-braces

Old 11-26-2019, 08:59 AM

Congrats, I feel Rory is one of the best in the world, but over here, he is a well kept secret. I have a build in the works as well and he will be visiting me in March. He is building some amazing instruments.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-26-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:08 AM

I'm also on Taran Guitars build list and agree that his current instruments are spectacular. Really interesting choice. Will be interested to see how this is received in Nashville.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am also on Rory's build list - in fact, my build is underway. He is building utterly sensational guitars.

I wonder, what is the etiquette for Forum sponsors posting build threads... I would love to!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:33 PM

I’ll look forward to hearing more. Not in that tax bracket, but I’d consider coming up from Atlanta just to see and hear. Loved his Martin Simpson narrative and am as much a fan as one can be from a distance.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Bring it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
I am also on Rory's build list - in fact, my build is underway. He is building utterly sensational guitars.

I wonder, what is the etiquette for Forum sponsors posting build threads... I would love to!

Cheers,
David
David--I for one would love to see you do a build thread!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-26-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post

Cheers,
David
Since it will be your own personal guitar, there should be no issue with that at all.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:41 PM

I, too, would love to see a build thread. These compression braces really have me intrigued. Is this a new concept or something he has always done with his builds?
Old 11-26-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
..... These compression braces really have me intrigued. Is this a new concept or something he has always done with his builds?
Relatively recent development. My ‘100th Instrument Taran’ built 2017 has double sides but no compression bracing. So alive! I would love to try one of these latest ones. One day maybe...

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 11-27-2019, 05:04 AM
Music soothes the soul!

This looks very tasty! I too am intrigued by the compression bracing. Need to hear more on the engineering aspects.

Sure look forward to meeting Rory in March. Should be enlightening.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
I, too, would love to see a build thread. These compression braces really have me intrigued. Is this a new concept or something he has always done with his builds?
They are quite a recent development. I used to apprentice with Rory before working for TNAG and the compression braces were developed and tested for the first time towards the end of last year. You can read all about them on Rory's personal blog or in our build thread! Such an interesting concept and they sound amazing.

Annie
Old 11-29-2019, 08:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Incoming Taran Tirga Mhor Model Heading To TNAG Nashville – Part 3

The Neck is Padauk which is lighter than Mahogany but equally, if not more, stiff. The density of Padauk is key to opening out all of the tonal characteristics of the MasterGrade Tasmanian Blackwood and Adirondack Spruce.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Wow! Another fabulous guitar build to follow. Some nice wood choices on this one.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-10-2019, 09:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Incoming Taran Tirga Mhor Model Heading To TNAG Nashville – Part 4

In the next part of this build thread we see the process in which Rory Dowling made the rosette and closed this box on this guitar...

The Adirondack Spruce Soundboard has been selected to add an incredible power to the instrument, with separation and dynamic being at the forefront of the build.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop