The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-03-2019, 08:58 PM

Default Epiphone Set Up - What Else?

I am heading back to Evansville on Tuesday to have their tech adjust the new Epiphone Les Paul Special-II. Just wondering what all he can do to help the guitar play a little easier/better?

So far I've been told the following:
1) lower the strings
2) perhaps new strings
3) straighten/align the neck

What else? Am I missing something? Remember I am just a beginner. Do picks make a difference?

r/Mike
Old 02-03-2019, 10:28 PM

In addition to your list your setup should include:
  • Check the nut and bridge grooves for proper height and lack of buzzing, and recut if necessary
  • Check frets for even height, level and recrown if necessary (IME with recent Epiphone electrics you will need to have this done)
  • Set the intonation at the bridge
  • Tighten neck bolts as tight as possible
Picks do make a difference, and since every player has his/her own preferences I'd suggest spending a few bucks on a handful of the most popular types - check them out and see what feels best to you...
Old 02-04-2019, 07:36 AM

Neck bolts? On a Les Paul?
Old 02-04-2019, 07:44 AM

Epi LP special IIs are the entry level models, these do not have set necks.

new strings: yes, definitely.

Checking neck relief, intonation and action is a standard part of any setup. as mentioned they should check the nut is cut properly for the string gauge you select.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:04 PM

This is how Joe does it.

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 02-04-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
In addition to your list your setup should include:
  • Check the nut and bridge grooves for proper height and lack of buzzing, and recut if necessary
  • Check frets for even height, level and recrown if necessary (IME with recent Epiphone electrics you will need to have this done)
  • Set the intonation at the bridge
  • Tighten neck bolts as tight as possible
Picks do make a difference, and since every player has his/her own preferences I'd suggest spending a few bucks on a handful of the most popular types - check them out and see what feels best to you...
The trouble is that a full fret level and crown would probably cost nearly as much as the guitar. Where I live a good fret level is around £100.
I would be surprised if the guitar shop even correctly sets the nut slot heights properly.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-04-2019, 05:06 PM

Picks are inexpensive. I suggest buying some Dunlop (or any brand) picks. Buy at least one of .7mm, .8mm, .9mm. and 1mm thick picks. You can then play them at home and decide what you like.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:58 PM

Got the guitar worked on today down in Evansville. Lowered strings, new 11 gauge strings, neck adjusted, some .50mm picks. Anyway, I haven't had time to sit down with it but for about 30 seconds but the D and G chords seemed easier for me to play!

Got a high school b'ball game to go to tonight. Plus I tricked the gal at the license branch into not restricting me to driving with glasses.

All in all, a pretty good day - so far. Time will tell, I guess. Plus I bought another beginners guide/DVD, this one by Hal Leonard.

r/Mike

Last edited by Whitey#1; 02-06-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
Got the guitar worked on today down in Evansville. Lowered strings, new 11 gauge strings, neck adjusted, some 5cm picks. Anyway, I haven't had time to sit down with it but for about 30 seconds but the D and G chords seemed easier for me to play!

Got a high school b'ball game to go to tonight. Plus I tricked the gal at the license branch into not restricting me to driving with glasses.

All in all, a pretty good day - so far. Time will tell, I guess. Plus I bought another beginners guide/DVD, this one by Hal Leonard.

r/Mike
Did the tech recommend the 11 gauge strings or did you ask for that? Nice to hear that the guitar is easier to play.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Did the tech recommend the 11 gauge strings or did you ask for that? Nice to hear that the guitar is easier to play.
I asked if some different strings would make it easier to play and he recommended them. I believe once I told him I was a beginner that's when he thought the 11 gauge would be better for me.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
I asked if some different strings would make it easier to play and he recommended them. I believe once I told him I was a beginner that's when he thought the 11 gauge would be better for me.
Something wrong here. This tech recommended 11's on this beginner guitar?
9's I can see, 10's on the very outside for someone who has never played before. Bring it back and have him change them out to a lighter gauge string for you to start on.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Something wrong here. This tech recommended 11's on this beginner guitar?
9's I can see, 10's on the very outside for someone who has never played before. Bring it back and have him change them out to a lighter gauge string for you to start on.
When I started playing in the early-60s the old New Brunswick (NJ) Black Diamond strings (14-60 monel) were standard fare for low-end acoustics...

All the "classic" electrics (Strat/Tele, LP/SG/ES, Gretsch/Guild/Epiphone hollowbodies, etc.) came from the factory with 12-52 flatwounds well into the 1970's...

I used to set up all my students' electrics with 11's (roundwound or flatwound - their choice) and the lowest action possible; FYI most of my work was with elementary/middle-school-age students - and none of my kids ever had issues beyond those encountered by any beginner...

If the tech did his/her job correctly (and the guitar itself is structurally sound enough to accommodate the heavier gauge - IMO the bigger question here), I fail to see the problem - in fact, the OP will reap the benefits of fuller natural tone and more signal to drive the pickups...
Old 02-06-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
When I started playing in the early-60s the old New Brunswick (NJ) Black Diamond strings (14-60 monel) were standard fare for low-end acoustics...

All the "classic" electrics (Strat/Tele, LP/SG/ES, Gretsch/Guild/Epiphone hollowbodies, etc.) came from the factory with 12-52 flatwounds well into the 1970's...

I used to set up all my students' electrics with 11's (roundwound or flatwound - their choice) and the lowest action possible; FYI most of my work was with elementary/middle-school-age students - and none of my kids ever had issues beyond those encountered by any beginner...

If the tech did his/her job correctly (and the guitar itself is structurally sound enough to accommodate the heavier gauge - IMO the bigger question here), I fail to see the problem - in fact, the OP will reap the benefits of fuller natural tone and more signal to drive the pickups...
Right Steve, and I learned on a $50 pos with bridge cables for strings. There is no need for a person to start with 11's anymore. It's much too old school.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars