The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 10-30-2019, 07:16 PM

Default Vintage German Maple 000 Beauty

Vintage German Maple 000 Beauty This is a unique & amazing guitar, although the maker is unknown. It measures 15 inches across the lower bout, & the back & sides appear to be German Maple, the top spruce, ebony fretboard, & it is light to hold. I am not sure if the neck is mahogany or Spanish Cedar. Also, it is x-braced, & has a very pleasing tone & response. The feedback I have gotten from knowledgeable people is that it was most likely built in the U.S. in the early part of the century, & clearly by someone of European origin, with markedly refined skills. The back & top are under tension, as you can see from how the sides taper. Functionally the guitar is in great playing condition, however, the evidence of some not top rate repairs can be seen, such as the piece of non-matching replaced binding, & some glue on the inside. It was re-fretted, but, the original bar frets still remain on the fretboard extension. The pick guard is a replica of what was originally there, which had been removed, & allowed for extensive wear in the strike area. A wood graft was added, along with new pick guard. It is crack-free as far as I can tell, although it looks like there was some center seam separation which was glued. The bone nut measures 1 3/4. The D string tuner post is slightly bent, all of the tuners work well. Tonally, I would say that the guitar is quite sophisticated, as you might find in the better built instruments of the time, such as Larsons. Since I am selling a few instruments at the moment in order to try to drum up the cash for a timely purchase, I will not leave this up for sale if I reach my goal from my other sales. $4850 + shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0242.jpg (59.2 KB, 485 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0247.jpg (35.2 KB, 484 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0251.jpg (41.5 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0250.jpg (29.2 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0254.jpg (52.5 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0256.jpg (60.9 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0245.jpg (42.7 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0248.jpg (46.0 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0243.jpg (38.3 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0244.jpg (50.8 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0246.jpg (26.4 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by ezmansky; 11-06-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:16 AM

That is a very nice, and unique guitar. I suggest that before you sell it, you take a lot of pics, and measurements, and create a thread on it. Very nice piece - good luck with the sell!
Old 10-31-2019, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
That is a very nice, and unique guitar. I suggest that before you sell it, you take a lot of pics, and measurements, and create a thread on it. Very nice piece - good luck with the sell!
I couldn't agree more..... if you haven't done so already, I'd recommend two things.... A. Bring it to the guitar show this weekend in Philly, or B.. send some pictures out to Fred Oster.... Vintage-instruments.com More than likely he could pinpoint the maker... if anyone could, it would be him...

I had a Washburn built by Lyon and Healy with a rosette like that, however they usually had a distinctive volute on the peghead that yours does not have..... Are there any markings at all on that guitar? Inside under the top etc... ?

Last edited by dbintegrity; 10-31-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:14 PM

No markings that I can see, but, I will send some pics to Fred & see what he says. I will try to post a few more pics here later. Thanks everyone for the comments.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:58 PM

Old 12-08-2019, 05:38 PM

still available
Old 12-08-2019, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Smile That is nice!

That is nice!

As always, it would be great to know the nut width and saddle spacing. And scale length, neck carve/feel… Etc.

Beautiful wood selections, and the market tree is exquisite, from what I can see. I, also, hope you get information from somebody about what it might be, and who made it .

Not that I am in the market mind you, for such an instrument, but I can always enjoy looking and learning!

Good luck to you in the sale, and I hope you find exactly what you're looking for…

Cheers,

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars