The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default suction cup neck up

This probably has been asked before, but I haven't found the thread.
Has anyone had any problem using the suction cup on a nitrocellulose finished guitar? I don't want to ruin the finish on my Santa Cruz guitar. Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 10-26-2020, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Hi KarenB,
There was a thread recently that mentioned using some sort of protective “sheets” as I remember. I’ll take a quick look and post a link if able.
Cheers
Old 10-26-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Default suction cup neck up

Has anyone tried the Guitar Lift?
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=594469

“Cling on Vinyl “ help they suction cups stay put and I would assume are also protective.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Has anyone had any problem using the suction cup on a nitrocellulose finished guitar? I don't want to ruin the finish on my Santa Cruz guitar. Thanks.
I use these on my gutiars. I wax/polish/clean my daily drivers every week. I have yet to see a single mark on the finish. Sadly installing clear pick guard material may leave you with another set of problems later on down the road.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Thanks TRose.

I received my neck up, and it comes with a 2 mil Duralar adhesive film. It says
Quote:
At the user's discretion and risk, this 2 mil Duralar adhesive film may be applied to the side of the instrument where the cup goes, for protection and/or cup air seal. It's suitability for various finish types and manner of application and removal is determined solely by the user.
I understand they have to use the word's "user's discrection and risk" for legal reasons, but it doesn't do anything to reassure me.

I have the guitar on my right leg. I'm not switching to the left leg. I have a classical guitar contraption to put under my right foot, but it's too high. I'd like something like that but lower. Maybe I'll find the right size book.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 10-26-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:46 AM

i've used a number of these devices with suction cups including neck-up.

yes DO use the mylar sheets. I did have it mark up my guitar. It buffed out though by a professional.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:32 AM

I used NeckUp all the time with polyurethane finish, but when I first applied it to a thin finish Martin Authentic (new) it did leave a mark. i had the suction cup directly on the finish.

Eventually went away with normal wiping over time. I think it took the better part of a year.

Note the finish was new, ordered and just arrived after 6 month wait after ordering. You might not have the same issue if the finish were aged more.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I just sent a query to Santa Cruz. Perhaps they will have an answer for me.

Jerzey, what does "I wax/polish/clean my daily drivers every week" mean? What's a driver?

JJarrekk-- are you saying that Duralar and mylar the same thing?

Last edited by KarenB; 10-26-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

I just got a reply from Santa Cruz: "So yes, that product can remove the nitrocellulose finish from your guitar, so only proceed if you’re okay with that possibility. Any adhesive put on the guitar does run the risk of pulling up the finish if and when removed. "

Last edited by KarenB; 10-26-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi KarenB

Been using Neck-up with suction cup on my Olson, Bashkin, and Kronbauer for over 15 years without any issues. All three have Nitrocellulose finish.

I only have it on while playing and immediately release the suction cup when finished.

I had a matte finish guitar and tried the 'sheets' - for two days.

Not sure what 'adhesive' SantaCruz was referring to. The NeckUP cup has a release TAB on it's edge that releases pressure instantly.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-26-2020, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Hi Karen, have you tried playing in the classical position, with the guitar on your left thy with something under your left foot? It puts your guitar in pretty much the same position without all the parafanalia.

I play that way and it solved my back issues.

(On another note; I saw one of my guitar playing friends at early voting on LI and we were talking about how much we miss playing with our friends. I can't wait until this is over!)
Old 10-26-2020, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Lowrider. I find the classical position uncomfortable.

I too am looking forward to playing and singing with friends.

Ljguitar--your experience with your guitars is encouraging.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Blake View Post
when I first applied it to a thin finish Martin Authentic (new) it did leave a mark.
Arthur, did you leave the suction cup on the guitar or remove it after playing?
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 10-27-2020, 04:32 AM

In my experience the suction cup will leave a mark on any finish except polyurethane. You just have to decide if it's worth it to you for the convenience of the device.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Lowrider. I find the classical position uncomfortable.

I too am looking forward to playing and singing with friends.

Ljguitar--your experience with your guitars is encouraging.
Hi Karen
Not trying to sway anyone. Just reporting. I've even used the NeckUP lifts with guitars which have no endpin (using both the large and small cups) with no marks left in finish.

As I recall the formula of the suction cups was changed early on. And there were reports of people having dents in the finish - which I never had a satisfactory answer to - but it seemed to be related to not quite cured finish (very new guitars) and leaving the suction cups afixed to the instruments after they were finished playing.

The inventor is a guitar player. He's always been very responsive to my emails. I suggest you reach out to him and ask your questions. If you do, please report back.

The NeckUP changed my playing allows me total freedom to move and not have to be in a 'locked' position, while keeping both feet flat on the floor. I have a SoundSeat which is probably 15 years old now which has the shortest piston in it, and even my short legs reach the floor (a standard chair leaves me looking for a microphone case to set my right foot on).

I'm 72 yrs old, have been playing for over 55 years and don't have back issues which are caused by classical position and elevated foot.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion