The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2020, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Anyone know of simple you tube tutorials about learning single note separation? I can twist/bend the reeds to sound like I know what i'm doing and most would think I play well, but if you can't play clean separate notes in and out consistently, it's really sloppy playing.
Adam Gussow has a Youtube page called Modern Blues Harmonica (or something like that) where he has a lesson or 2 on how to play clean single notes.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:47 AM

Easy Do. Get your handy dandy diatonic chord converter out to get the appropriate harp. I think that song would be a D harp, and have at it.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyone know of simple you tube tutorials about learning single note separation? I can twist/bend the reeds to sound like I know what i'm doing and most would think I play well, but if you can't play clean separate notes in and out consistently, it's really sloppy playing.
It took me a few weeks of just keeping a harp in my hand and practicing playing single notes to get the hang of it. Just purse your lips into a small opening and play those notes until they play clean in and out. And please do not try to use your tongue to block holes like they show in the Hohner instructions. That doesn't work. For anybody.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-23-2020, 09:57 AM

I am an intermediate guitar player, but I am an extremely advanced harp player. Been blowin' for nearly 30 years. When I say advanced, I mean I could walk up on stage with Eric Clapton and feel at ease (the harp playing on our web site is my wife). I strongly recommend both Lee Oskar and Hohner Special 20 harps. Marine Bands are very nice too, but have a sharper edge wear your mouth goes to play it. Lee Oskars last longer and the Special 20 are more responsive and require less wind to play.

I have had all the cheaper harp racks too - and they are essentially junk IMO. I replaced all of them years ago with a Farmer Harp Holder - nothing I have seen or used is even a contender in this universe.

There are several ways to play harp. Straight harp (leans towards Country and Neil Young style) and Cross Harp (used for the Blues and anything with a Bluesy edge). I specialize in Cross harp but also dabble in straight harp occasionally.

Knowing what harp to pick for each style is integral. On this page - Harp Chart is a chart that you can print out. You will find it helpful in the future if you decide to explore cross harp. In straight harp you simply play the same key harp as the key on your guitar.

Do not get taken in with $10 harps, even from a known maker like Hohner. They are junk and will last a few songs before the reeds go out.

Good luck in playing harmonica. It is not as easy as some hear are proclaiming. The only way to get good is to play constantly and learn where each note is by feel. Bends, shakes and overblows will be far down the road for you, but explore them on Youtube, It is an instinctual instrument to play and once you acquire the skill, it never goes away.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-23-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypl View Post
I'm still in the self-taught learning phase, and find that playing straight harp feels way more intuitive, while cross harp feels elusive. Any advice on getting a handle on cross harp? (I know which key harp to use, just don't have an instinctive feel for it.)
The key is knowing that its the "suck notes" that you want. And learning how to bend the notes is hard to explain, but that's what makes it sound bluesy.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:16 AM

Like someone said,learn to use your tongue to block holes and play single holes clearly.Oh, and I can play a few songs with my nose.I used to get free harps from our harp player,I would reach in his case and grab one and start belting out a rendition of Swanee River with my nose.Keep it! was always his response.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I am an intermediate guitar player, but I am an extremely advanced harp player. Been blowin' for nearly 30 years. When I say advanced, I mean I could walk up on stage with Eric Clapton and feel at ease (the harp playing on our web site is my wife). I strongly recommend both Lee Oskar and Hohner Special 20 harps. Marine Bands are very nice too, but have a sharper edge wear your mouth goes to play it. Lee Oskars last longer and the Special 20 are more responsive and require less wind to play.

I have had all the cheaper harp racks too - and they are essentially junk IMO. I replaced all of them years ago with a Farmer Harp Holder - nothing I have seen or used is even a contender in this universe.

There are several ways to play harp. Straight harp (leans towards Country and Neil Young style) and Cross Harp (used for the Blues and anything with a Bluesy edge). I specialize in Cross harp but also dabble in straight harp occasionally.

Knowing what harp to pick for each style is integral. On this page - Harp Chart is a chart that you can print out. You will find it helpful in the future if you decide to explore cross harp. In straight harp you simply play the same key harp as the key on your guitar.

Do not get taken in with $10 harps, even from a known maker like Hohner. They are junk and will last a few songs before the reeds go out.

Good luck in playing harmonica. It is not as easy as some hear are proclaiming. The only way to get good is to play constantly and learn where each note is by feel. Bends, shakes and overblows will be far down the road for you, but explore them on Youtube, It is an instinctual instrument to play and once you acquire the skill, it never goes away.
Hey Roy! I've been playing for close to 40 years as well and have always used Hohner Special 20 and Golden Melody harps and a couple of Marine Bands. I'm very disappointed in everything I have bought for past 10 years because I'll break a reed in less than 6 months (the ones I bought in the 80's and 90's lasted 10 years or more). Have you found a brand that's more durable?? It's getting where playing harmonica is as expensive as playing guitar. LOL
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-23-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
Hey Roy! I've been playing for close to 40 years as well and have always used Hohner Special 20 and Golden Melody harps and a couple of Marine Bands. I'm very disappointed in everything I have bought for past 10 years because I'll break a reed in less than 6 months (the ones I bought in the 80's and 90's lasted 10 years or more). Have you found a brand that's more durable?? It's getting where playing harmonica is as expensive as playing guitar. LOL
Hey Mick. I used to LOVE my Special 20's and Marine Bands. They are not the same quality harps that they were in the 90's - not even close. I find Lee Oskars much more rugged. To be fair though, I have NOT tried other mid-grade harps like Seydel and Suzuki.

I am a hard blower when I do play (rarely now as my wife blows most of the harp stuff live) and the new harps just ain't what they used to be. If you haven't tried Lee Oskar, give 'em a shot. They take more wind but do outlast the special 20's by about 2 to 1 IME.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 10-23-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
The key is knowing that its the "suck notes" that you want. And learning how to bend the notes is hard to explain, but that's what makes it sound bluesy.
This is essentially true. Straight harp uses more blow notes and chord work whereas cross harp is more draw (suck) notes coupled with bends and shakes.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 10-23-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

What used to be a Marine Band is now called something else, but is the same thing. Guess Honer thought the marketing was harder with the old name.

If you have a moustache, be prepared for some pain. LOL

Doing the Dylan/ Young thing is folk harp 101 and does not always need precision, but in deference to those you live with, a sound proof room is in order. It helps to be able to go on autopilot with the guitar, but not more than singing would.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-23-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Roy, I have a Hohner Blues Harp in C, and you're saying the Hohner Special 20 takes less air to play? I do run out of air with too much sucking. Man that just don't good! Ha! If so, maybe I should order a 20 in G? What do you think?
Old 10-23-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
To be fair though, I have NOT tried other mid-grade harps like Seydel and Suzuki.
I had a reed go flat in a Seydel. Took it apart to see if I could find a problem or could fix it, but no luck. Ended up tossing it and replacing it with a Lee Oskar.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Roy, I have a Hohner Blues Harp in C, and you're saying the Hohner Special 20 takes less air to play? I do run out of air with too much sucking. Man that just don't good! Ha! If so, maybe I should order a 20 in G? What do you think?
I don't know. I don't recall if I've played a Blues Harp before. I only know that Special 20's take less effort to play than Lee Oskars do. It's not an issue for me, because I play hard when I play.

Your problem is one that I used to have too. It's usually an indication that you are "overplaying". Play more sparingly and find good notes to add long blows on and the problem will solve itself. Can't pull more air in than goes out, that simple. Relax your style a bit and include more blow notes and pauses during solos and it will take care of itself.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 10-24-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I have been playing harmonica off and on for about 30 years. Currently at a low intermediate level.First instruction came out of the "Klutz" book series back in 1989.

As an "ear player" musician I have found straight harp to be fairly easy to learn.Cross harp and bends continue to be a bit difficult depending on the key.

If I close my eyes and try to flow with the music ,it seems easier.

Among the many harmonicas I have owned the Lee Oskar brand lasts longer and is easier to play than any of the Hohners.

Even after complete disassembly and cleaning ,I was unable to restore any harp blow holes.I think my body chemistry is hazardous with harps as I seem to go through them quickly.

They are a nice adjunct to the singer/songwriter genre.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:00 AM

Best advice is to get into cross harp and bends right away. Lots of great blues to play along with to build your chops. Even some Steven Tyler, e.g., pink. Have fun! Straight harp is not as interesting or fun imo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion