The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-06-2014, 07:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

This guitar will be shipped to Texas tomorrow. Call Hearts' Home and make it a date with them if you want to sample her wares.

She is young, but wise. She has faith that interested parties know Tim and I well enough that he won't let her product leave his shop unless it passes his sound tests and my quality control concerning aesthetics that is expected of a cautious apprentice who has to live with us.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
This guitar will be shipped to Texas tomorrow.
I was afraid you'd say something like that. I was planning on trying to get some landscaping taken care of this weekend (though that can be delayed), but my dad is coming down again (I assume) for the quarterly BIG gun show in Dallas Market Hall. I didn't get down to see him for the last one or two (shame on me, it's only 30 minutes away), so I was hoping to make this one.

Who'd you ship it with? Maybe I can intercept the truck on the way down there.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 AM

Wonderful to see #2 completed... congratulations all round.

I don't think I've seen Movingui before, and I certainly have no idea how to pronounce it, but it looks a treat.

All the best, berf
Old 04-07-2014, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
...I don't think I've seen Movingui before, and I certainly have no idea how to pronounce it, but it looks a treat.
I think it is the stuff that this German guy calls "muvingué":
http://www.ac-guitars.com/en/instrum.../muving-custom
"Muvingué" is one of the most exclusive tonal woods for back and sides but due to the difficulty of bending this wood, it is rare to find on any instrument today.

It might not be my choice esthetically - but I can see that the apprentice has done a good job with it
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-07-2014, 06:16 AM

Impressive work !
Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
Wonderful to see #2 completed... congratulations all round.

I don't think I've seen Movingui before, and I certainly have no idea how to pronounce it, but it looks a treat.

All the best, berf
I believe it is pronounced: Move - in - guy sort of like "Two Men And A Truck"
Old 04-07-2014, 07:18 AM

Nice looking guitar.

The Mesquite FB/Bridge in particular look very nice, in particular the pyramid bridge - in addition to the Movingui, I've not seen Mesquite before. Good to see something a bit different to EIR/Ebony etc.

I look forward to seeing Adrianne' no.3.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:37 AM

I love that Adrianne is using non-traditional woods right out of the gate! I spoke with Chaney at Hearts Home last week and he said her first guitar compared well with anything in the shop and was an incredible bargain. He gave me a heads up on the arrival of #2 this week and I'm sorely tempted . . .

But it's a long, hard drive even from Austin, and I just bought a new guitar that I'm crazy about (there at Heart's Home), so I think I'm going to resist, this time.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 PM

Congratulations, Adrienne! Nicely done!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

As the PR of this business and now I have a boss and someone who thinks she is a half boss, too, it is OK for me to tell stories about wood shop adventures. All craftsmen can tell you they have had their fair share of "Oops moments." I should write a book.

Being a girlie girl who has to live with Tim and me she was being very cautious on how to tell me she wants to make each guitar her own. I accepted her desire to add her own style of a tidbit of bling only because it is so ... her. It has to be done in a mature manner. This means I am not at the point of letting "Hello Kitty" be a theme on any McKnight Guitar. Well, not unless Scott and Lydia have a baby girl in July and she happens to blink her little eye lashes at "Grandpa and Grandma." If that is the case I am afraid we are wrapped around those fingers and will reconsider this thought. And, no, this doesn'tmean we are having a girl. We will learn the gender on the day she presents herself to her parent personally.

During her #2 guitar build Adrianne learned a valuable lesson that she didn't expect to learn. She came home from her day job one evening ready to reduce stress with sand paper in hand. She got everything out of the humidity controlled room and was all set up to begin applying the inlay of her name on the peg head. Put yourself in her position. You know what it is like to have a stressful day at work and all you want to do is go home, sit silently and work on your favorite craft to see the magic happen? (Sigh) Yeah, well, it doesn't always work the way. Now does it?

The conversation went something like this.

A: "Uh...Mom? Where is my envelope with the diamond?" (Looking all over her work bench)

Me: (Working on computer/not looking up) "I'm sure it's over there. Keep lookin'."

A: "Mom, it was right here. Was Scott here today? Did he hide it from me?" (She only said that because her brother, Scott, WAS here earlier in the day and she knows how she use to mess with his stuff just to bug him.)

Me: "Scott was here, but he didn't mess with your stuff. Dad did earlier. Ohhhhh, boy. Ohhhhhhh, great. You don't see it?" (Walking to her.)

A: "Noooooo?" (Tilting her head as if it got top heavy.)

Me: "Yep, rut row.... I vacuumed, but I know I saw the envelope right over here. Hang on. Ask Dad. Maybe he moved it."

T: "Ask Dad what?" (Adrianne turned to Tim as if she thought he really had a clue what was on her mind.)

A: "Dad? Where did you hide it? Seriously. This is not funny."

Me: (Suddenly smirking because for some reason it really wasn't funny until she said that. Then I laughed.)

T: (Dumbfounded about the entire line of questioning because machines were running) "What are you talkin' about?"

A: "MY DIAMOND. I BOUGHT IT FOR THIS GUITAR! DAD! WHERE IS IT?"

Me: "Adrianne, calm down. I saw the envelope right there earlier." (Adrianne and I looked.) Hold on. Ohhhhhh, no. Wait. Dad vacuumed. Tim, did you vacuum on top of Adrianne work bench area?"

T: "Yes, I did." (Turned around and turned the machine back on)

A: "MOOOM!! Where is it? (Eyes wide) Help me look in the sweeper and on the floor! (This time I tilted my head forward as if it was a little top heavy.) "Now, please!!!"

Me: (BIG SIGH) "It might be history now, Baby Girl."

Anyhow she, Tim and I got down on all fours (12s?) and searched the floor. We tore every shred of lint and saw dust apart for over an hour. It was a cold night on concrete floor after a stressful day at their day jobs. She was crushed that her gift for this guitar is MIA. Sadly we had accepted the fact that her original bling is gone.

The good news is that evening has motivated her a little more to vacuum in the wood shop; even though she is not necessarily interested in vacuuming in the house.

Adrianne and our son, Scott, have always been very careful not to slack on quality concerning their work. In her case we all learned that sometimes some things just aren't meant to be.

Anyhow, for this guitar she and I later searched the Internet to find something else that would dot the letter "i" in the right size font of her name and she did use it.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 04-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

What a beautiful guitar! ... and the dynasty begins!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:20 PM

I heard this one sold in less than a day, just like the first one. Was it you, SongwriterFan?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

I can tell you that answer. It wasn't Songwriter fan on either occasion, but he has shown an interest.

[email protected]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop