The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-13-2021, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Wayfaring Stranger Tutorial

I put up a new tutorial for my original arrangement of the old folk song, "Wayfaring Stranger" HERE in Show & Tell. I hope this might be of interest.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 06-13-2021, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Hi Glenn,
Just a shout out to you for the time and effort you put into these incredibly well done and useful tutorials, on many levels. Professional level stuff offered up for free. Just wanted you to know that it is very much appreciated.
A technical question if I may: It looks like the video is greater than 20 minutes in length, yet done in high resolution, multiple angles etc...How do you keep the file size down? Today I did a small sampling recording of a piece and after 3:50 minutes, I was already up at 250MB!
Anyway, I'll figure it out, but these playing/tutorial contributions of yours to the forum are really terrific, and inspirational!
Thank you for the time you invest in them to the benefit of us all.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-13-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Hi Glenn,
Just a shout out to you for the time and effort you put into these incredibly well done and useful tutorials, on many levels. Professional level stuff offered up for free. Just wanted you to know that it is very much appreciated.
A technical question if I may: It looks like the video is greater than 20 minutes in length, yet done in high resolution, multiple angles etc...How do you keep the file size down? Today I did a small sampling recording of a piece and after 3:50 minutes, I was already up at 250MB!
Anyway, I'll figure it out, but these playing/tutorial contributions of yours to the forum are really terrific, and inspirational!

I agree with everything above!

Bill
Old 06-14-2021, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Glenn,
Hi Andre!

Thank you for your kind comments! I really appreciate the feedback!

Regarding the length of this HD video, it's about 28 minutes so it is a big file. It was approximately 2.5 GB in size. And even at that I reduced the bit rate some on the tutorial video to keep it from being about twice that large. At 2.5 GB it took about an hour to upload this file to YouTube, so these large files are pretty cumbersome.

Even my 3-4 minute performance videos are at about .75-1.0 GB in size.

Thanks, Glenn
Old 06-14-2021, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
I agree with everything above!

Bill
Thank you Bill!

I really appreciate your support on this! I really do hope you find this helpful!

- Glenn
Old 06-14-2021, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for this tune lesson. I learned a Steve Kaufman boom-chick version. I played it at the last jam I went to Jan 2020 but most of the people there didn’t know the song or like it, and said it sounded like it was from Fiddler On The Roof. 🤨
Old 06-14-2021, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Thanks for this tune lesson. I learned a Steve Kaufman boom-chick version. I played it at the last jam I went to Jan 2020 but most of the people there didn’t know the song or like it, and said it sounded like it was from Fiddler On The Roof. 🤨
Hi Blueser,

Well, apparently your listeners don't know "Fiddler on the Roof" very well. Because to me, "Wayfaring Stranger" doesn't sound anything like a Jewish musical song. Although, maybe played as a boom-chuck song it might actually sound like something from Fiddler. Who knows...

I grew up hearing this song because it was pretty much a standard part of the American folk repertoire, but it's easy to forget that most of the world is a whole lot younger than I am.

Take care Blueser...

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2021, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Andre!

Thank you for your kind comments! I really appreciate the feedback!

Regarding the length of this HD video, it's about 28 minutes so it is a big file. It was approximately 2.5 GB in size. And even at that I reduced the bit rate some on the tutorial video to keep it from being about twice that large. At 2.5 GB it took about an hour to upload this file to YouTube, so these large files are pretty cumbersome.

Even my 3-4 minute performance videos are at about .75-1.0 GB in size.

Thanks, Glenn
Thanks for the info Glenn, that is useful for me to know. Looks like there is no getting away from dealing with very large files when combining audio with HD video. As long as it does take to upload these large HD files, I imagine it would have been impossible a few years ago when internet speeds on home networks was so much slower. It's worth it though. Especially in a tutorial like yours, where clarity in the presentation is so important.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-15-2021, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info Glenn, that is useful for me to know. Looks like there is no getting away from dealing with very large files when combining audio with HD video. As long as it does take to upload these large HD files, I imagine it would have been impossible a few years ago when internet speeds on home networks was so much slower. It's worth it though. Especially in a tutorial like yours, where clarity in the presentation is so important.
Hi Andre',

Yes, you are exactly right! We could never have handled such huge files in any reasonable time only a few years ago. And who knows? Maybe 5 years from now that 2.5 GB file could be uploaded to YouTube in 10 minutes instead of an hour. Wouldn't that be nice!

If we could only bring about world peace and solve the world's hunger and poverty problems in the next five years, all would be well!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write