The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-19-2022, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

That was very touching, Coler! Well done!

And I love the photo of your children!

- Glenn
Old 06-20-2022, 12:18 AM

This is an excellent song. Strong melody, great lyrics and your vocals are really good with the Irish accent coming through nicely.

If I was you I would definitely let someone cover it

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 06-20-2022, 05:01 AM

Bravo Coler! That is a beautifully composed and performed song.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-21-2022, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
That was very touching, Coler! Well done!

And I love the photo of your children!

- Glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPhil View Post
This is an excellent song. Strong melody, great lyrics and your vocals are really good with the Irish accent coming through nicely.

If I was you I would definitely let someone cover it
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Bravo Coler! That is a beautifully composed and performed song.
Thanks Glenn, Phil and Ray I'm humbled and grateful for your kind comments.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
Beautiful tune Coler. Great job on the guitar and the vocals. You are a gifted storyteller.
Mike thanks a million for your feedback. Musicians on this site who I respect and admire greatly, not least yourself, have really made my day with their positive comments on this song.

In a crazy/great turn of events next weekend I'm playing a semi-private gig for to the team I wrote it about - their management liked it and they have a team building/"away" weekend thing happening.

Bear in mind I'm a simple barrister (trial lawyer). Excited and terrified.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Mike thanks a million for your feedback. Musicians on this site who I respect and admire greatly, not least yourself, have really made my day with their positive comments on this song.

In a crazy/great turn of events next weekend I'm playing a semi-private gig for to the team I wrote it about - their management liked it and they have a team building/"away" weekend thing happening.

Bear in mind I'm a simple barrister (trial lawyer). Excited and terrified.
Break a leg! I’m sure it will go great. That’s wonderful news.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Coler,

First, beautiful family.

Second, this song is very, very well written and performed. Professional quality in my amateur opinion!

Really moving, inspired and just lovely. You are more than ready for that gig, but best of luck, you won’t need it
Old 06-30-2022, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Coler,

First, beautiful family.

Second, this song is very, very well written and performed. Professional quality in my amateur opinion!

Really moving, inspired and just lovely. You are more than ready for that gig, but best of luck, you won’t need it
Thank you Bob blown away by your praise.

I'm afraid, however, I have come down with something, almodt certainly Covid I guess, to be confirmed when I test later today, so it looks as if the gig is scuppered.

Edit, well I'm testing negative so I'll see what tomorrow brings

Last edited by Coler; 07-01-2022 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Thank you Bob blown away by your praise.

I'm afraid, however, I have come down with something, almodt certainly Covid I guess, to be confirmed when I test later today, so it looks as if the gig is scuppered.

Edit, well I'm testing negative so I'll see what tomorrow brings
Glad to hear it’s not Covid!

Feel better by gig time
Old 07-01-2022, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Here you go (sorry it’s not translated in English—I looked for the equivalent wiki in English but there isn’t one):

Editing here to add that I don’t think Wikipedia is the final word on this kind of subject and that I’m unsure if their contributors go through sufficiently rigorous vetting prior to putting their work online (and in this case it’s probably telling the below entry doesn’t exist in English as well as in French).

La mort subite chez les joueurs de hurling—

Le hurling est considéré comme un sport de balle extrêmement rapide, qui exige beaucoup d'efforts des joueurs sur le plan cardio-vasculaire. C'est pour cette raison qu'il est parfois mis en cause dans des cas de mort subite chez certains joueurs. En effet, bien que la relation entre la violence cardiaque du jeu et la mort subite ne soit pas prouvée, on constate que le nombre d'arrêts cardiaques chez les pratiquants de hurling est relativement élevé.[réf. nécessaire]

Le Cormac Trust irlandais cite par exemple les décès de Gary Duffin (Naomh Colmcille club) à 26 ans, Brian Bergin (Kilcotton club) à 34 ans pendant son entraînement, Kevin Quinn (Harbour Rovers club) à 18 ans d'un arrêt cardiaque causé par un coup de camán (crosse de hurling), Emmet Neville (capitaine des junior Glen Rovers) à 21 ans, Kieran Clancy (arrière du Ballysaggart GAA club) à 31 ans ou encore Catherine Keane à 10 ans8.

Plus récemment, en octobre 2012, James Fitzgerald, du Charleville GAA club, est décédé à l'âge de 16 ans9. En octobre 2013, Niall Donohue de l'équipe de Galway, est décédé à 22 ans d'un arrêt cardiaque inexpliqué. Il conseillait aux jeunes joueurs de « s’entraîner dur, plus dur encore quand les choses vont mal »10. Et en février 2017, Donal Devine, un ancien joueur de l'équipe de Westmeath, est décédé à 40 ans, après un entraînement dans son club local de Castlepollard11.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling
Here is an English translation...

Sudden death in hurling players—

Sudden death in hurling players— Hurling is considered an extremely fast ball sport, which requires a lot of effort from players on the cardiovascular level. It is for this reason that it is sometimes implicated in cases of sudden death in some players. Indeed, although the relationship between the cardiac violence of gambling and sudden death is not proven, it is found that the number of cardiac arrests among hurling practitioners is relatively high. [ref. needed]

The Irish Cormac Trust cites for example the deaths of Gary Duffin (Naomh Colmcille club) at 26, Brian Bergin (Kilcotton club) at 34 during his training, Kevin Quinn (Harbour Rovers club) at 18 from a cardiac arrest caused by a camán blow (hurling stick), Emmet Neville (captain of Glen Rovers junior) at 21, Kieran Clancy (back of the Ballysaggart GAA club) at 31 years old or Catherine Keane at 10 years old.

Most recently, in October 2012, James Fitzgerald of the Charleville GAA club passed away at the age of 16.9 In October 2013, Niall Donohue of the Galway team, died at the age of 22 of an unexplained cardiac arrest. He advised young players to "train hard, even harder when things go wrong"10. And in February 2017, Donal Devine, a former Westmeath player, died at the age of 40, after training at his local club Castlepollard.

Oh, by the way, the OP posted a wonderful song with a great singing voice. I enjoyed that and I am not usually a fan of vocals.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-29-2022, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Tony - sorry I missed your response and very flattering compliments. It makes me incredibly happy that people enjoyed this song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell