The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-10-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post

I call that Darkburst H150 Barnabus, after the vampire character in the show Dark Shadows!
Yes, Barnabus Collins!!!! I loved that show when I was a kid.It was on at 4:00est, channel 7. Even though it was daytime, it was still really spooky!🙀
Old 06-10-2022, 06:41 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
A friend loaned me his Univox LP Black Beauty during my senior year in high school. I kept it tuned to open D and played slide on it. Great memory!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-11-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
A friend loaned me his Univox LP Black Beauty during my senior year in high school. I kept it tuned to open D and played slide on it. Great memory!

Bob
The day I broke into “Rocky Mountain Way” during band practice on this guitar was the day the kids in the basement looked at me sort of differently. This old Univox Mother was my gateway drug, my gift, my demise.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

It's good to see that so many of my favorite AGF mates enjoy their Les Pauls.

Maybe I need to pull mine out again!

- Glenn
Old 06-11-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
It's good to see that so many of my favorite AGF mates enjoy their Les Pauls.

Maybe I need to pull mine out again!

- Glenn
Pull it out Glenn! . I have a bunch and they all sound similar (Les Paul signature tone) yet different. Pickups can do that.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:50 AM

In January 1970 saw Peter Green, Danny Kirwan of Fleetwood Mac 2 nights in a row at Whiskey a Go Go, in Hollywood. Went to Hollywood GC and bought a '58 burst and a '64 Deluxe Reverb for $450. I sold that expensive one, and have had others since. There's nothing quite like it, the sound many of us heard as early guitar enthusiasts.
Old 06-11-2022, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

My father and brother gifted me a Univox imitation Lester when I was fourteen(I still play this very hot rodded bolt-on) . I hot rodded a 2001 Desert Burst Plus Top Studio for my son’s graduation present from Berklee College. Finally, in 2021 I treated myself to a beautiful Bourbon Burst Studio Ultra Plain Top! It was my bucket list guitar. Even though I am a Fender guy through and through, ownership of a Les Paul is mandatory for baby boomer guitarists!
Hey Chickee. The black Univox LesPaul must've been a popular guitar in the 70's, especially in NJ lol...my high school band mate used one for a long time.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-11-2022, 12:15 PM

The short answer is that I find other guitars more comfortable! I started my ownership of professional standard instruments with a US Standard Strat as I loved that sound (think Dire Straits and Pink Floyd) and since then the Fender scale length etc has always felt right. Nothing at all wrong with the LP but it’s never really worked for me. Heavy too. My 335 studio manages to fill the LP gap very well!

Right up until I bought my PRS my Fenders and the G&L felt perfect - and to be fair they still do. The PRS though is - for me - in a superb class of its own.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-11-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hey Chickee. The black Univox LesPaul must've been a popular guitar in the 70's, especially in NJ lol...my high school band mate used one for a long time.
Hey Joe!
I can’t vouch for Jersey, but when I was a kid in Brooklyn
this was a pretty popular guitar. Like I said earlier, how could they build such an easy playing, ultra fast neck guitar fifty years ago for $199 out the door, including a Univox gold trimmed plastic bound hard shell case with a gold plush liner? Gotta love it!
Old 06-11-2022, 12:49 PM

Could never talk myself into carrying the load. "He ain't heavy,... he's my LP".
Old 06-11-2022, 03:18 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
The day I broke into “Rocky Mountain Way” during band practice on this guitar was the day the kids in the basement looked at me sort of differently. This old Univox Mother was my gateway drug, my gift, my demise.
Interestingly, this Univox was the gateway instrument to me playing slide live, starting with... "Rocky Mountain Way." I saved every spare penny I could starting in 1974 and finally got my Gibson Les Paul in 1977. Ironically, it was a used '74 Les Paul...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-11-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Interestingly, this Univox was the gateway instrument to me playing slide live, starting with... "Rocky Mountain Way." I saved every spare penny I could starting in 1974 and finally got my Gibson Les Paul in 1977. Ironically, it was a used '74 Les Paul...

Bob
Were your ears ringing today Bob? I was on the phone with my brother, telling him about your experience with the Univox. They really were Swiss army knife guitars back then. Just the ticket for a young teen to get the most out of from not a big investment.
And as far as busting out with RMW, in that instant in time, you and i were guitar heroes, if only in our minds!
All the best,
frank d.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Title says it all. Discuss.
Beacause you just might play in a power trio someday. If you want to make one guitar sound as big as possible, an LP is more or less the standard.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

I own three Les Paul guitars, and a Revstar P90 that is very similar to a LP. They are all slightly different and all have P90s of some kind. I have a ton of overlap right now and I'm seriously considering downgrading a bit, but LPs are quite special!
Old 06-12-2022, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, Barnabus Collins!!!! I loved that show when I was a kid.It was on at 4:00est, channel 7. Even though it was daytime, it was still really spooky!🙀
Hey same time for me, it was my after school show!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars