The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-29-2022, 12:01 PM

Cool What power supply for Boss pedals?

I'm learning guitar and have some questions about pedals. I have a Boss reverb and looper and a mini Beat Buddy. Is the power supply the same? Can I just get one with multi outputs from Amazon and be done or is there more to it?. I'm still waiting on my Weber speaker for my 007 Bass Breaker
Old 05-29-2022, 02:37 PM

You can use a daisy chain but you need to make sure that the sum of each pedal's power consumption doesn't exceed the power supply. Usually an analog OD/distortion pedal use about 10 milliamps (mA). For example, the Ibanez Tubescreamer is about 7 mA. Digital pedals can go up to a few hundred. You also need to check the voltage as well.

Some people don't like daisy chains because it may not be isolated and may add noise. I've never had a problem though.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:16 PM

Thanks Dru. Boss has a warning that looks pretty dire if you don't use their power supply.

Looks like I'm a tuner away from needing a pedal board.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:40 PM

I have used a voodoo power supply for years with no problems. Just don’t get one of the cheap donner power supplies. I had one of those and I am pretty sure it killed one of my pedals. I also have a one spot daisy chain and it is fine but a little noisier that’s the voodoo.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:01 PM

Strangest thing, just got an e mail from Guitar Center and they have a Boss tuner/power supply for 100 bucks.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:44 PM

I powered my Boss pedals with a Truetone 1 Spot with no problems. The basic unit is good for 1700ma (a LOT of pedals...) and sells for less than 20 bucks with free shipping. Buy one with the extra cables if you want to daisy chain more than one pedal. All Boss pedals should be the same, and they all have a little diagram showing polarity and voltage required next to the power jack input.

Boss has sort of a racket going on, shipping pedals without a power supply and then STRONGLY suggesting that it would be wise to buy one of theirs. Many other pedal manufacturers throw in a wall wart supply which probably costs them only a couple of bucks.

Read the customer reviews if you have any doubt about Truetone 1 Spot supplies.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
I have used a voodoo power supply for years with no problems. Just don’t get one of the cheap donner power supplies. I had one of those and I am pretty sure it killed one of my pedals. I also have a one spot daisy chain and it is fine but a little noisier that’s the voodoo.
+1 - I've used the One Spot with no issues. It's a nice inexpensive option. Your Voodoo is a great option and it's isolated.

I've also used my Boss TU-2 Tuner with the Boss power supply to power my other pedals for years without any issues.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:09 PM

For just the one pedal ... any power unit with the right plug and the right voltage ampage spec will be fine.
Chaining a couple or so of low-demand 9v pedals off one of those daisy chains will probably be OK, but might get noisy for instance.
If you're using more than 2-3, if they are needing more significant power, etc. Then the balanced clean regulated supplies from pedalboard units like the Voodoo, Strymon Ojai and many others are worth investing in.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:47 PM

I have had a least one Boss pedal on my board (or it's unofficial equivalent) for years. Currently it's a reverb pedal. I've used the TrueTone One Spot daisy chain with them with no problems (inexpensive) and I currently use one of the TrueTone's larger, pricier, isolated-outlet, power supplies on my electric guitar pedal board.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-30-2022, 05:51 PM

I went ahead and ordered the Boss tu-3 tuner/power solution for 100 bucks. It comes with, wall wort, daisy chain and some picks.

IF it's too noisy I'll look at the one spot.

Thanks for all the interest and advice. I'll get back with thoughts and pics.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbonger View Post
I went ahead and ordered the Boss tu-3 tuner/power solution for 100 bucks. It comes with, wall wort, daisy chain and some picks.

IF it's too noisy I'll look at the one spot.

Thanks for all the interest and advice. I'll get back with thoughts and pics.
Let us know how it goes. I used the TU-2 (not TU-3) and the Boss wall mart for years without any problem. It was powering 3-4 pedals daisy chained.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:10 AM

The bottom line if you don’t want any noise is to use an isolated power supply. I have many pedals and therefore many power supplies. For years I daisy chained pedals, and there were definitely some noise issues at times. Rather than the power supply itself, I think the issue is that some pedals just don’t get along with others. As soon as I switched to isolated all the noise stopped. I know someone above argued against using a Donner supply, but I can say that I’m currently using two isolated 10-channel Donner bricks on separate boards, and they are DEAD quiet and have been problem-free. I’m running 10 pedals on each board and no matter what combinations I use there is no noise. I do have 3 pedals that I know are compatible daisy chained because the last two iso lines on the brick are for 12v and 18v pedals, which I don’t currently have.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:22 PM

I’ve been using a 1spot plugged into a Furman and daisy chaining power to 7 pedals. I don’t play particularly loud at home but am happy with how quiet it is (house is about 25 years old so relatively modern wiring). It has been a cost effective set up for me.

I tested my pedals and was pretty surprised with their power needs. Archer Ikon =21, OCD-Ge=7, TS5=8, EQ700=8, Boss CE-5=20, and Boss RV-6=60mA. So the 1,700 mA 1Spot shouldn’t be taxed too much.

If you play out or plugging into older wiring it may be worth spending the extra on a more robust power supply. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2022, 05:32 PM

I ended up with a One Spot and a 3 pedal Boss board. Looks like this is going to be a work in progress because a have 4 pedals. Tuner, looper, reverb and beat buddy.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbonger View Post
I ended up with a One Spot and a 3 pedal Boss board. Looks like this is going to be a work in progress because a have 4 pedals. Tuner, looper, reverb and beat buddy.
Have you thought about going with something like the Pedal Train? There are lots of options like that where you can easily add 4 pedals and the One Spot (either on the board or under it).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars