The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2022, 04:34 PM
Musical minimalist

I've played a couple gigs at this little shack (Alden Dow Home)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dowhome.jpg (55.3 KB, 132 views)

Old 07-04-2022, 05:10 PM

Nothin fancy for me, but out in the woods in the Adirondacks near a waterfall for my son's wedding was pretty special.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:22 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Nothin fancy for me, but out in the woods in the Adirondacks near a waterfall for my son's wedding was pretty special.
Cool - I played for dear friend's wedding in Northern Michigan along the river where everyone had to be brought in by carriage.

That was memorable as well!

Old 07-04-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Cool - I played for dear friend's wedding in Northern Michigan along the river where everyone had to be brought in by carriage.

That was memorable as well!

I played at my wife’s cousin’s wedding at Lover’s Key State Park by Fort Myers Beach, Florida. It was at sunset and was a beautiful setting for a wedding.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-04-2022, 06:11 PM

In London:

* The Ruskin House Folk & Blues Club

* Lime Meadow Rugby Club

Near Home (San Francisco)

* Filoli (Woodside)

* The Blue Lamp (San Francisco)

* SWIG (San Francisco)

* Cameron's Pub & Inn

* Pastime Club (Truckee, CA)

Old 07-04-2022, 06:15 PM
Guitar Gourmet

There is this really cool castle on a mountaintop in Georgia, just south of the Tennessee and east of Alabama. The building was built in 1927 as a luxury hotel but quickly succumbed to the depression. It was revived twice but finally died around 1960. A small college from St. Louis bought the estate and converted the castle to the central building for the school. I was there from 1975-1979 and the above picture shows it as it was when I was there. For part of my tenure my dorm room was in the second floor men's dorm hall, right by the tower. Behind the tower was a six-floor, open-plan stairwell, the kind with a lift well in the center surrounded by the stairs and landings. The acoustics and reverb were fantastic. The design had the floor landings covered and the in-between landings open with windows facing west. You could adjust the amount of reverb with your location. Every evening I would go out on a landing and play my guitar for a couple of hours while watching the sun set.

When it came time for my senior picture the photographer, who loved music, suggested we take it in the stairwell. He spent a lot of time getting me to adjust my position while he dangled off the rail into the well. I didn't understand why until the year book came out.

I still have that guitar. Oh, and that stairwell was where I first met my future wife.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-04-2022, 10:12 PM

Without a doubt, on a beach in the Grand Canyon.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:35 PM

Unfortunately the wife didn't take a picture of me playing.....Something tells me she has heard all of my songs by now to many times.....Well as long as she doesn't say " do you have to bring your guitar " then will be fine.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:06 PM

I have played in plenty of memorable places, including up at oil camps on the North Slope of Alaska and at a Marine Corps enlisted men’s tavern at the naval base on Adak, in the Aleutian Islands. But two of the most memorable spots were in Finland.

In the summer of 1981 I played a tour of Finland and Sweden - the first part in Finland was with fiddler and multi-instrumentalist Roger Bellow, who’s a fantastic musician. (In Sweden I was by myself.) We played all sorts of festivals throughout Finland, but one of the most memorable dates was at Kaivapuisto Park in Helsinki. We were one of several acts there that day, and we played to an audience of 12,000 people.

It looked like a sea of blond heads….

We got a great response. I had a toe-tapping instrumental that I had renamed “The Helsinki Stomp” for the purpose of the tour, and the crowd just roared when they heard that.

So Kaivapuisto Park was memorable, and so was a theater we played that had gold leaf on the walls. It felt so elegant and, well, European.

It was definitely a step up from the bars we were used to playing.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-05-2022, 06:54 AM

Koka Booth amphitheater in Cary, NC. Absolutely amazing outdoor venue nestled in some tall pines near a lake. The event itself left much to be desired, but the venue was spectacular.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:07 AM

1985, in front of the open cave of the Garden Tomb in Jerusalem. Congregation of 1500. Yamaha FG180 (now sold, sadly). No photo but there is a video.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
What’s the most amazing setting you’ve ever played in? Today I had the privilege of playing at The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

If you are still around, you should drive up to Red Rocks. Maybe, if nothing is going on, they would let you take the stage and play there for a short while. Now that would be awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Red Rocks. Well, the Red Rocks PARKING LOT, but still, a fairly beautiful place...
I've played Red Rocks.

That would be Red Rock Canyon State Park, Mojave Desert, California, that is:

The world-famous Red Cliffs along Highway 14, at Red Rock Canyon State Park, Kern County, California, backdrop for many Hollywood movies, television shows, videos and commercials.

By the way, not far from the Red Cliffs (roughly 10 million years old), Steven Spielberg shot that Velociraptor dig scene in the first Jurassic Park film; even though no dinosaur remains exist anywhere near Red Rock Canyon, Spielberg obviously liked the great desert setting and used it in place of a genuine dinosaur-producing region, such as the Jurassic to Cretaceous-age badlands of Montana, Wyoming, Utah, or Colorado, for example.

Snippet of the Velociraptor dig scene in Steven Spielberg's first Jurassic Park film, 1993 (shot at Red Rock Canyon State Park, California):

Last edited by Inyo; 07-05-2022 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Used to take a guitar to sea with me. Played it up in forward torpedo on a ballistic missile submarine. Sometimes the sonar guys would call down with requests for a song or, more often, silence.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:03 PM

An orphanage in the bush of Africa. 200 kids. No running water or electricity. I brought a couple guitars and left them there and taught some of the older guys how to play. They were extremely eager to learn and so incredibly polite and well behaved.

Old 07-05-2022, 02:27 PM

Hard to believe, but the place that I first started to learn to play and that still, to this day, has the best acoustics I've ever run across is the second floor stairwell in North Hall, Wittenberg, University. I used to sit there by the hour Friday and Saturday nights when guys were out at parties and just practice and practice and struggle and struggle until my fingers bled. It was quiet, except for a bit of coming and going, and my guitar just rang there like a church bell, even though I sucked and was just learning. I'm sure I've got some "golden memories" going on here, but I'll take it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion