The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-04-2022, 06:06 PM

Default Used Baggs Element VTC?

Saw a used Baggs Element VTC on Reverb.com for a good price and I'm tempted. It's listed as mint and was supposedly removed from a new J45. No returns, though. Anyone taken a chance on something like this and if so anything to watch out for? I've had good luck on Reverb so far. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:13 PM

I've bought three Element VTCs right here in the classifieds. I think the most I ever paid was $60.

They come up fairly often because they are removed from guitars that have them installed as factory stock pickups. I would never install one in a 6 string acoustic, but I use the Element as an under saddle pickup when building piezo-based short scale bass guitars.

I had one in a guitar many years ago and I totally understand why a lot of players pull them immediately from their new guitars. There is a reason why they come up as "used - like new" so often in the classifieds.

My point is that if you really want one you don't need to jump on a Reverb perceived bargain because they come up for sale fairly often.

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-04-2022 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:55 PM

I currently have the LR Baggs Element and the k&k Pure mini on my two guitars (I had the LR Bagss Athem before). There are notable differences between the two, but I don't think they are so notable as to uninstall the LR Bagss element by system on guitars that have it installed from the factory.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 07-05-2022, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko61 View Post
I currently have the LR Baggs Element and the k&k Pure mini on my two guitars (I had the LR Bagss Athem before). There are notable differences between the two, but I don't think they are so notable as to uninstall the LR Bagss element by system on guitars that have it installed from the factory.
I have both the K&K mini and an Element in a guitar as well. (The Baggs came with the guitar, I added the K&K.) I agree with you and to my surprise I end up using the Baggs most of the time. Curious, do you have them both wired to the Baggs stereo jack? Any problem with mixing a passive and active pickup?
Old 07-05-2022, 11:14 AM

Sorry, I expressed myself badly. In the Loef I have the k&k and in the McNally I have the Element.
I meant to say that a lot of people buy a guitar with the Element installed and quickly swap it out for another pickup.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 07-05-2022, 12:53 PM

There should be no issues with it if it’s just been removed from a new guitar. I’ve sold an element I removed from a guitar and the buyer was pleased with it.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 07-05-2022, 12:59 PM

Seeing that many people uninstall it, do you consider that the LR baggs Element is a bad piezo pickup?

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 07-05-2022, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seeing that many people uninstall it, do you consider that the LR baggs Element is a bad piezo pickup?
It's a decent UST pickup system that can sound good when dialed in for a particular guitar and playing situation. It seems to work well with the right Fishman Aura Image, too. Given my druthers, would I buy an LR Baggs Element Active system and install it in a guitar? Probably not given my experience with it having been factory-installed in several RainSong guitars, an Emerald guitar, and a Gibson J-45 Custom.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-05-2022, 03:04 PM

My McNally has it already installed by the luthier and the truth is, connected to my Loudbox mini it sounds very good. At the moment I don't think I'm going to remove it.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 07-05-2022, 05:31 PM

I've noticed that some of these pickups come with a flat control wheel housing while others have a larger brown plastic housing. Is there a difference? I'm guessing the larger housing is a newer model.....
Old 07-05-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianw View Post
I've noticed that some of these pickups come with a flat control wheel housing while others have a larger brown plastic housing. Is there a difference? I'm guessing the larger housing is a newer model.....
I'm not fond of the VT control that mounts at the edge of the sound hole. I had a brand new one that was installed in my Larrivee L-05 that I used to gig with. I had only used it a few times when the volume control died shortly after starting a first set. I cut the wires with a pocket knife and it was OK for the rest of the gig, operating at full volume which was fine with me. I really only used it to mute the output when I wasn't playing it. That's my first and only experience with the Element pickup, and it didn't hurt my feelings to replace it with a K&K Pure Mini as it really didn't sound that good anyhow.

Baggs sent me the specs for replacing the volume and/or tone control with regular full sized CTS pots, so the basses I used them on had the full size CTS pot installed, as per photo.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I had one in a guitar many years ago and I totally understand why a lot of players pull them immediately from their new guitars. There is a reason why they come up as "used - like new" so often in the classifieds
Can you tell me what you think is the reason so many owners uninstall the LR Bagss Element? I would like to know the reasons why I thought it was a good piezo pickup.
Thanks!

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 07-06-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Can you tell me what you think is the reason so many owners uninstall the LR Bagss Element? I would like to know the reasons why I thought it was a good piezo pickup.

Thanks!
I'm a K&K Pure Mini snob, having used them exclusively for many years. I'm not alone. A while back I bought a new Eastman AC108CE that came with Baggs Element (Volume control only). I added a K&K but 90% of the time I use the Baggs. I might use the K&K if I'm doing my own sound but in most venues with a soundman I find the Baggs is just easier. The K&K usually needs a little tweaking on the EQ or feedback can be an issue. The Baggs UST is just something they're more familiar with. As someone pointed out there are sound differences between the two pickups but, speaking for myself, I really don't think they're dramatic enough to agonize over. If you're a fingerstyle solo instrumentalist it may matter more.

Bottom line, you really need to trust your ears instead of relying strictly on the opinion of others with their own experiences.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks!
I can answer the first question. My best guess is owners of the Baggs Element have determined that they don't really like the sound of it. I know that's my primary reason to not use them. Oddly enough, it sounds fine as a piezo pickup for the electric basses I use them with, but that's a whole other range of frequencies that it's being used for.

I can't answer why YOU thought (or think) is's a good piezo pickup. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" comes to mind, though. There are a lot of users who are perfectly happy with the Element, so you have to take that into account.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks!
The Element is a good piezo pickup. The problem is most of us really don't like the sound of an undersaddle piezo pickup. They have a relatively harsh and brittle tone with a bunch of "quack" so we generally lean to a soundboard transducer like a K&K, JJB, Schatten, etc., for an easy minimally invasive install.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification