The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-02-2022, 11:18 AM

Default volume and tone knobs for Tele

I 'm not much of an electric guitar player [or any guitar] but I do like the sound you get when you use the volume knob as a volume pedal ;for swells. And the tone knob for that wah-wah sound. I just play at home mostly but I really have to turn those knobs A LOT to make that sound. Is there different knobs I can use that have "less turning" to them ? I hope this makes sense.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:32 PM

Hey Eyesore, i get exactly what you are saying, but all it is is practicing the technique of it. As you become more proficient at the swells, the speed which you roll your palm along the knob will become second nature to you. Soon muscle memory will guide your hand along the knobs.

Just a thought-you’re not turning the knobs with your fingertips, are you? After reading your post again i get the feeling that may be why you think the revolution of the knobs is so great.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:34 PM

The little finger wrapped around one of the Telecaster knobs is one of my favorite Tele things too. I'd suppose different pot tapers (audio vs linear) would come into play with this. Someone who knows more about the electronics may come along and answer.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-08-2022, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

…Gibson speed knobs are great for wrapping your pinky around and getting more turn on the pot on account of their slightly larger diameter compared to a standard tele knob…

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...hoCqxUQAvD_BwE
Old 07-11-2022, 10:51 AM

On a Tele, reverse the switch plate and rearrange the knobs so volume is closest to you, tone in the middle and selector is furthest away. Google can help you find directions for how to do that.

As far as how much the knob turns, the only option is to see if you can find audio grade potentiometers that have less travel to them.

Good luck!

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars