The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 02:13 PM

Default The Martin CEO-7, 000-18, Eastman e10ooss/v, and the importance of feel

This weekend I was very excited to go to my local shop and sit with the Martin CEO-7 in person for the first time. I loved the specs on paper, and loved what I heard when I listened to some demos online. When I saw it in person, I was impressed: it's a really gorgeous guitar with a beautiful finish. The build quality is impeccable.

The store also had an Eastman e10ooss/v that I wanted to try. I took the two into a corner room so I could sing along while I played. I went back and forth between the two and found something that surprised me: I liked the Eastman a whole lot more! I kept A/Bing between the two and just gravitated more towards the sound of the Eastman.

I talked with an employee and asked their opinion as I sang with each, and they said they could tell I matched a bit better with the Eastman based on how I was playing and engaging with it. I got up and wandered a bit around the store and looked up at a guitar hung higher on the wall. I asked what model it was, and they told me it was the Martin 000-18. I said "What the heck, I'll try it!"

I sat down with the 000-18 and it was an instant connection. I found myself just having so much fun with it, and that guitar could handle just about anything I tried. Strumming sounded great. Fingerpicking was great. The short scale neck with the modern profile felt spot on to me, and I was pleasantly surprised. I can't say enough how impressed I was with that guitar!

I picked up the Eastman (that I had only minutes ago really liked) to find it sounded a lot less vibrant than I remembered. How could my brain change that quickly? I realized the Eastman had a more modern C-shaped neck that helped me feel more comfortable while playing it compared to the CEO, so I was able to play with more touch and finesse than on the V neck. But when I picked up the 000-18, that Martin sound combined with the comfortable neck totally blew the Eastman out of the water.

I strummed the CEO-7 again and liked the sound of it a lot. These three guitars are finely crafted instruments, and I don't have anything objectively negative to say about any of them. I share this just as a fun story of how important the feel of a guitar is to each player. I've been playing for 17 years and I was still surprised by how much that impacted my response to each of these fine instruments.

And now? I wait for the funds to come together to get myself that 000.
2019 Ibanez AC340 OPN

Singer Songwriter: http://benjaminkrogh.bandcamp.com
Old 07-13-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

I picked up my Steve Miller 000c on a whim.
I have been really surprised as it has steadily stolen time from the others.
None of my guitars lack quality and tone. But the 000- is M O N EY money.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

This is an interesting and timely thread. I own a 000-18 and can't ever see parting ways with it. That said, I've been really interested in the Eastman model you reviewed - the varnish models get great reviews and I'm trying to decide if there is room for both in my collection since I don't see getting rid of the 000-18. The CEO-7 is a nice guitar as well - I owned one a few years ago but let it go to make room for larger bodied instruments I was interested in at the time. In any case, you can't go wrong with the 000-18!!!!
Old 07-13-2020, 02:30 PM

Default 000-18

I went to a local store with my D28 that was no longer friendly playing very long with my shoulders issues. I knew the store was a martin dealer but that's about it. Between a CEO7, 0018 and 00018e Retro....the 00018 made the greatest impression hands down. I liked it so much acoustically I never plugged it in and rarely do now.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood King View Post
This weekend I was very excited to go to my local shop and sit with the Martin CEO-7 in person for the first time. I loved the specs on paper, and loved what I heard when I listened to some demos online. When I saw it in person, I was impressed: it's a really gorgeous guitar with a beautiful finish. The build quality is impeccable.

The store also had an Eastman e10ooss/v that I wanted to try. I took the two into a corner room so I could sing along while I played. I went back and forth between the two and found something that surprised me: I liked the Eastman a whole lot more! I kept A/Bing between the two and just gravitated more towards the sound of the Eastman.

I talked with an employee and asked their opinion as I sang with each, and they said they could tell I matched a bit better with the Eastman based on how I was playing and engaging with it. I got up and wandered a bit around the store and looked up at a guitar hung higher on the wall. I asked what model it was, and they told me it was the Martin 000-18. I said "What the heck, I'll try it!"

I sat down with the 000-18 and it was an instant connection. I found myself just having so much fun with it, and that guitar could handle just about anything I tried. Strumming sounded great. Fingerpicking was great. The short scale neck with the modern profile felt spot on to me, and I was pleasantly surprised. I can't say enough how impressed I was with that guitar!

I picked up the Eastman (that I had only minutes ago really liked) to find it sounded a lot less vibrant than I remembered. How could my brain change that quickly? I realized the Eastman had a more modern C-shaped neck that helped me feel more comfortable while playing it compared to the CEO, so I was able to play with more touch and finesse than on the V neck. But when I picked up the 000-18, that Martin sound combined with the comfortable neck totally blew the Eastman out of the water.

I strummed the CEO-7 again and liked the sound of it a lot. These three guitars are finely crafted instruments, and I don't have anything objectively negative to say about any of them. I share this just as a fun story of how important the feel of a guitar is to each player. I've been playing for 17 years and I was still surprised by how much that impacted my response to each of these fine instruments.

You also discovered that the only way to be completely (and actually know that you are) satisfied with a guitar is put your hands on it and play it.

When guitars are bought using sound clips and second hand advice, those guitars are far more likely to be flipped and money lost, than a guitar that’s been A/B/C/D’d. Of course, people that don’t buy them that way tend to make a counter argument and of course I’d ask them, “how do you know”, you don’t comparison shop, you listen to sound clips and ask strangers to pick the guitar for you.

You can further your education by not assuming all of the Martins in that series are equal, they’re not. When the funds get better, repeat your experience and you may come to a completely different conclusion, based on the guitars available at that shop.

But be sure of this, the one you pick will be with you a very long time and you won’t second guess the choice you made.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

Last edited by Goodallboy; 07-14-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:37 PM

To me the 000-18 is the ultimate do-it-all. I am currently working through acoustic blues on mine and it punches with that midrange bark like you want it to, and the scale length is great for bends and it's so comfortable. But I have also run through flatpicking and loud strumming with it. I can do everything.

Both the CEO and Eastman are fine guitars as well. Can't really go wrong with those three.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 07-13-2020, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

My favorite Martin was my first—a battered 000 18 I bought used in 73. I’ve owned 3 (each from a different decade) and each has had its own voice and feel.

For me, it’s an all-rounder.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-13-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Excellent read!

It doesn’t surprise me in the least, the 000-18 is an excellent guitar. I tried a few of them till I found the one I have (or it found me). And just a heads up, when you do find the one, do what ever you have to do to grab “that one”.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

It is all about feel. Haven't played an Eastman, but I've played both the 000-18 and CEO-7. Loved the sound of both. The feel of the CEO-7 was an instant connection for me. I love the mod-V neck and the wider string spacing. Those were the two deal makers for me. I'm fairly new to fingerpicking and not particularly good at it, but I find it a good deal easier with wider spacing near the nut and the CEO is a good bit wider than the 000. And I'm not crazy about the modern rounder neck profiles, but I absolutely love a V or a soft-V, which is what the Mod-V feels like to me. I spent the first 25 years of my playing life pretty much exclusively playing a D-28 with a V neck and a 70's Strat with a V and that's just what feel like home to my left hand. I had a 000-15SM with an MLO neck profile and I got along with it fine, but picking up the CEO-7 and feeling that V just felt like home to me. Just instantly comfortable.

In terms of tone, I think I'd like the warmer 000-18 slightly more than the CEO for strumming and the slightly brighter CEO more for fingerpicking, but the bottom line is I'd have been thrilled to death with either guitar as an all-rounder. But the feel of the CEO is what did it for me, just as the feel of the 000-18 did it for you...

I hope you get the $$ for the 000 soon...

-Ray
Old 07-13-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
To me the 000-18 is the ultimate do-it-all. I am currently working through acoustic blues on mine and it punches with that midrange bark like you want it to, and the scale length is great for bends and it's so comfortable. But I have also run through flatpicking and loud strumming with it. I can do everything.
Sure seemed like it to me! I'm glad you're loving the 000-18, thanks for sharing. Hoping to make it my next purchase.
2019 Ibanez AC340 OPN

Old 07-13-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
It is all about feel. Haven't played an Eastman, but I've played both the 000-18 and CEO-7. Loved the sound of both. The feel of the CEO-7 was an instant connection for me. I love the mod-V neck and the wider string spacing. Those were the two deal makers for me. I'm fairly new to fingerpicking and not particularly good at it, but I find it a good deal easier with wider spacing near the nut and the CEO is a good bit wider than the 000. And I'm not crazy about the modern rounder neck profiles, but I absolutely love a V or a soft-V, which is what the Mod-V feels like to me. I spent the first 25 years of my playing life pretty much exclusively playing a D-28 with a V neck and a 70's Strat with a V and that's just what feel like home to my left hand. I had a 000-15SM with an MLO neck profile and I got along with it fine, but picking up the CEO-7 and feeling that V just felt like home to me. Just instantly comfortable.

In terms of tone, I think I'd like the warmer 000-18 slightly more than the CEO for strumming and the slightly brighter CEO more for fingerpicking, but the bottom line is I'd have been thrilled to death with either guitar as an all-rounder. But the feel of the CEO is what did it for me, just as the feel of the 000-18 did it for you...

I hope you get the $$ for the 000 soon...

-Ray
Love that. We both enjoy the tone of either guitar but came to opposite conclusions based on that comfort factor! Such an important part of choosing an instrument.

Congrats on owning such a great guitar, the CEO-7 is gorgeous.
2019 Ibanez AC340 OPN

Old 07-14-2020, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Love that. We both enjoy the tone of either guitar but came to opposite conclusions based on that comfort factor! Such an important part of choosing an instrument.

Congrats on owning such a great guitar, the CEO-7 is gorgeous.
Oh, forgot to mention, I'm not really a fan of a burst finish, particularly on acoustics. If I was choosing on looks, I’d have taken a natural finish 000-18 in a heartbeat. But when I picked it up and started playing, it took me no more than 30 seconds or so to know that this was my guitar. Not my favorite look, but I don’t see a guitar’s looks after the “new guitar smell” period. I’ve had gorgeous guitars I didn’t really notice the looks of after the first few days, and so it is with less than gorgeous guitars (all in the eye of the beholder of course).

-Ray
Old 07-14-2020, 06:33 AM

000-18 is the choice. Get THAT one even if you have to put it on lay away or pay it out maybe borrow from a friend or family member. Youll regret it for the rest of your life. I have experienced something similar. I walked into a store and walked out with a used 000-18 with the P neck.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:49 AM

Very cool. I experienced something very similar last month. I went in to my local shop fully expecting to buy the OM-28 they had. I already own a Larrivee om-40r that I really enjoy playing so I knew going in that I like that style of guitar. I played it and it wasn't really speaking to me like I thought it would. I tried the 000-18 they had in stock and was truly surprised at how much I liked playing it. Everything about it felt great so I came back the next day and bought that guitar which I wasn't even really considering before going into the shop.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:41 AM

Great read, thank you for sharing. It reminds me of my two recent trips to buy my SCGC and H&D. Both times I ended up with guitars I had not anticipated on buying (very long posts are in my signature).

The part of your experience I completely agree with is "the importance of feel". Prior to my two recent buying trips (or as I like to call it, my entry into the boutique builders world) I watched a ton of videos online, including downloading "high res files" which did sound better than the YouTube versions.

But there is nothing that compares to hearing a guitar in person, feeling it reverberate against your body, and singing and playing with it. As you discovered, you sing with one better than the others. I found the same thing.

My lesson learned was: videos are nice, but they literally convey like 50% of a guitar's sound and feel. To put it this way, I would never spend $5K or more on a guitar based on a YouTube video. But when I was in the room with my SCGC and my H&D, it felt and sounded like money well spent.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eastman e10oo, martin 000-18, martin ceo-7