The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-12-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies, including the humorous ones. McPherson looks to be a small shop - might be hard to infiltrate.

I really have no preference on the Sable top as far as how it looks. I am more concerned with sound and playability factors. I do want the EVO frets.

Wish they (and Rainsong) offered wider string spacing at the saddle.

A Guitar Center order might be my best option in trying one of these out at this point.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I am too pretty to go back to jail.
I hear the eye sight is one of the first things to go as we age....
Old 07-12-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed62 View Post
See....I knew I had the right man for the job!!!!..you may get fired but you wont care!
Since I have not had the pleasure of being fired yet, I suppose it should be on my bucket list. I have been laid off many times, since that seems to be the way of things when you live in the Midwest and end up working for companies on either coast.

Such companies will acquire a startup from which they need the technology or expertise, or maybe even just a few engineers for a while, and then when these are no longer needed, we are gone (didn't folks used to say "gonesville" way back in the 50s with bongos playing in the background?).

Anyway, I don't think layoffs and firings are the same. I am certain firing and firing squad are not the same (at least I certainly hope not).

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Could this be construed as encouraging industrial espionage? Are we all accomplices by reading here? I am too pretty to go back to jail.

(Cue the theme to Mission Impossible)
Hmmmmm. At least you are guaranteed "three hots and a cot" during your stay, even if the accommodations are less than desirable.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-12-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDEMO1 View Post
Thanks for the replies, including the humorous ones. McPherson looks to be a small shop - might be hard to infiltrate.

I really have no preference on the Sable top as far as how it looks. I am more concerned with sound and playability factors. I do want the EVO frets.

Wish they (and Rainsong) offered wider string spacing at the saddle.

A Guitar Center order might be my best option in trying one of these out at this point.
If there is a good script writer, even the impossible can be accomplished. There could be a movie in this.

On a more serious note (a D# wolf tone...), I have long felt most comfortable with at least a 1 13/16 nut and 2 5/16 saddle string spacing. However, in one thread where this discussion came up, one poster said that if one can't play comfortable with a 1 3/4" nut, that maybe my technique needs some work. I thought about it, did something about it, and now the string spacing on my Sable, which is the same as on my Taylor, is just fine for me.

That won't always be the case, since we all have different size fingers, but in my case it was a solution, so I am passing it on in case it can be a solution for others too. careful placement of fretting fingers makes a lot of difference.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-12-2020, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I hear the eye sight is one of the first things to go as we age....
But, fortunately, I still have my sense of humor. No one is gonna ask "BACK??"? See, that and "pretty" make it funny. Sheesh, it loses something when you have to explain it.

For the record, I am the youngest of three, with two older sisters. It was upsetting to my sisters (12 and 13 years older than me) that I got the long eyelashes, curly hair, and "bedroom eyes." They used to call me "pretty boy." Apparently, that was supposed to be insulting. It is a curse I've had to live with.

You've probably heard "It isn't easy being pretty." People tend to not take you serious. I just want to be appreciated for my mind.

See - sense of humor!
Old 07-13-2020, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed62 View Post
I would find it very hard to believe that Mcpherson would allow thier sables to have a variance in acoustical sound properties solely for the purpose of offering a few different patterns of weave on their tops .The properties of carbon fiber are very different than wood thus the top thickness , bracing and resin hardness are the most important factors in determining top resonant frequencies....From everything ive read on this forum , and internet along with my personal experience with my sable , this companies stringent quality control policy wouldnt allow this to be true.....If it were Mcpherson definitely would be aware of it and market the basket weave as a tonal variation
I'd agree with this. And reasonable to assume when McPherson spec-ed the basket weave with the supplier, they would have applied their same exacting standards as the other 2 weaves. They would be concerned if their guitar is going to sound different due to a variation in materials, and if it sounds different, it is likely to be a deliberate decision that they're not going to stay quiet about.

It's all personal preference, but I went with standard weave. I aim to keep my gear for a long time, so I tend to go with more plain/timeless designs.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3stat View Post
I'd agree with this. And reasonable to assume when McPherson spec-ed the basket weave with the supplier, they would have applied their same exacting standards as the other 2 weaves. They would be concerned if their guitar is going to sound different due to a variation in materials, and if it sounds different, it is likely to be a deliberate decision that they're not going to stay quiet about.

It's all personal preference, but I went with standard weave. I aim to keep my gear for a long time, so I tend to go with more plain/timeless designs.
Im the same as you with keeping gear for a long time but only if I like the product....I love the tone and playability of the sable and am so impressed with the quality of construction that I will never have to venture into the world of high end wood acoustics which have given me humidity problems in the past......I will probably end up like tony and have a sable or touring in every room...unless Mcpherson comes out with a resonator guitar design then i will definitely get one of those first
2005 Gibson Es 335
2012 Gibson Les Paul standard
2017 Fender elite stratocaster
2001 62 AVRI Fender stratocaster
Old 07-16-2020, 12:54 AM

I've really been enjoying my sable. Every time I pick it up, an hour or more slips away because it just so enjoyable to listen to. It really does play beautifully. I have the honeycomb, and I really like it. Someone mentioned that their wife thought it looked like chicken wire, and I totally see why someone would say that, but I think it's a beautiful variation on the standard weave and it gives the guitar some visual interest. So far, I'm very happy with the purchase. Very expensive, but it sounds, plays and feels very expensive, too.

To the OP's original question, I have a hard time imagining that the particular weave of the carbon fiber would have any perceptible influence on the sound of the guitar, as others have said.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMinor View Post
I've really been enjoying my sable. Every time I pick it up, an hour or more slips away because it just so enjoyable to listen to. It really does play beautifully. I have the honeycomb, and I really like it. Someone mentioned that their wife thought it looked like chicken wire, and I totally see why someone would say that, but I think it's a beautiful variation on the standard weave and it gives the guitar some visual interest. So far, I'm very happy with the purchase. Very expensive, but it sounds, plays and feels very expensive, too.

To the OP's original question, I have a hard time imagining that the particular weave of the carbon fiber would have any perceptible influence on the sound of the guitar, as others have said.
I asked Justin at McPherson about the volume of the Sable vs a dread, and while his answer didn't address a "dread", he said that he feels it is almost as loud as a wood guitar, and that he believes the basket weave to have the most projection. I would have thought they'd all sound much the same, but maybe not.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Looking at the subject line, I now think it just doesn't fit in with a community of guitar-hungry guitar players and polishers. Instead, it should be more accurately stated (rather than asking a question):

McPherson Sable_ - Standard AND Basketweave AND Honey Comb!

Note that I used the same wording and markings as the original with exceptions to accommodate the suggested changes.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-16-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMinor View Post

What can I say I agree with everything you said. I personally don't care what the top material is made out of as long as it sounds good, which the honeycomb weave certainly does. Something else that's very odd is my 2 year old daughter won't let me play anything else. If I grab a different guitar she will mute my strings, grab my hand and say "no no no get black guitar" which of course is the Sable. I'm not even kidding. I don't know if it's even possible at her age to really like the sound of the guitar better or the look I have no idea why she does it.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Something else that's very odd is my 2 year old daughter won't let me play anything else. If I grab a different guitar she will mute my strings, grab my hand and say "no no no get black guitar" which of course is the Sable. I'm not even kidding. I don't know if it's even possible at her age to really like the sound of the guitar better or the look I have no idea why she does it.
Oh, that's easy. You're being trained.

Sounds like she's doing a fine job
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-16-2020, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What can I say I agree with everything you said. I personally don't care what the top material is made out of as long as it sounds good, which the honeycomb weave certainly does. Something else that's very odd is my 2 year old daughter won't let me play anything else. If I grab a different guitar she will mute my strings, grab my hand and say "no no no get black guitar" which of course is the Sable. I'm not even kidding. I don't know if it's even possible at her age to really like the sound of the guitar better or the look I have no idea why she does it.
She has high quality (expensive) tastes. Let that be a warning to her future husband. Of course, also being a Sable owner, how can I argue with her sense of taste?

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-16-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Thats the guitar she wants to learn how to play in a few years....You may want to start shopping for another one for yourself tomorrow....Do us a favor and get a basket weave so we can finally get a real answer to see if they sound different ....Tony you may not have to get a job at Mcpherson after all...
2005 Gibson Es 335
2012 Gibson Les Paul standard
2017 Fender elite stratocaster
2001 62 AVRI Fender stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber