The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-12-2020, 01:27 AM

Default Vintage pre-war OM bracing question

The standard bracing pattern calls for 2 finger braces each side. Several 1930s models only have 1 finger brace each side. Worth a try? I realise there are a bunch of other factors at play here, to say the least...
Old 07-12-2020, 04:11 AM

IMHO, the finger braces function mainly as structural members. In that area of the top, the X- braces, being much larger, are dominant. No harm in trying single finger braces on an OM, but I would not expect a noticeable difference in sound.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:26 PM

If you are also scalloping the braces then two might be better as there will be more twist with the scalloping. I typically only use one on 00's and 0's but two for 000's. But you know, there is more then one way to skin that cat.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:41 PM

Thanks to both of you. I figure the changes to the design re scalloping or otherwise and the addition of bracing were more to do with reducing the warranty cases and increasing production rather than innovating towards a 'better' sound. I think I will stick with 2 light braces each side though. Cheers
Old 07-14-2020, 06:25 AM

It's my understanding that prior to '35 they used two braces and then in around '35 they went to one so It would not be the warranty theory I don't think based on that logic. John would know more about that. So they must have been thinking tonally but I am not sure what the thinking was.

Now you have to built two, one with two finger braces and one with one

I'm building two right now off of a '34 plan and they have two.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

I would expect to lose treble and clarity by reducing the finger bracing, but there are many other factors at play.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:49 AM

I believe the change to single finger braces in 1935 was because the 14 fret 000's were short scale. It was not a permanent change, since later 000's reverted to two on each side.
All original OM's, which are long scale, have two braces on each side. The long scale was dropped in mid-1934. Martins were scalloped until late-1944.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair