The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 04:10 PM

Default Picking my guitar

I am crazy trying to figure out what to do so I thought I would get help from you guitar gurus. I am an older guy with some challenges. My rotator cuff got too painful for me to play my Takamine since it was a big dreadnaught so I had to get rid of it.I loved that sweet high sound it had, unlike most acoustics which sound woody and tinny to me. I have been playing a Strat Electric but most of my music is really more for acoustic and the only "group" I am in to play a gig is another guy, not a band, so the electric may not make a lot of sense. I do love the sweet sound of an electric and it is easy to play for my arthritic fingers. I thought about a Fender Thinline for my all around guitar. I do have a Martin 1OM but it has that Martin twangy sound I can't get out of it. I know, I know, I know. Why did I buy it if I don't like the Martin sound? It was a good bargain so I grabbed it. Well, the question is would you recommend I just stay electric, or find an acoustic guitar with the sweeter sound like the Takamine for church and small venue with my two-man "band". If you vote for the acoustic, any recommendations as to which guitars you recommend that are sweet sounding and have a nice neck is appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 06-25-2020, 04:45 PM

Welcome to the forum. Are you in an area where you can try different guitars? I'm not necessarily a Taylor guy but they do have a reputation for being a little easier to play than some of the others.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 06-25-2020, 05:09 PM

You might want to consider the Yamaha Silent Acoustic Guitar.
It might look like a toy but it is a very serious instrument with a very serious sound

Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 06-25-2020, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

If Takamine is the sound you like, they make plenty of guitars that are smaller than dreads.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:26 PM

An interesting dilemma you pose here. Clearly you enjoy the playability of the electric, so taking that as the most valuable guide along with your shoulder issue, the requirements point to a smaller bodied acoustic with similar string spacing to an electric, perhaps with a similar neck profile as well.

Perhaps the obvious choice might be a Taylor although I'd recommend trying LOTS of guitars from Grand Concerts to OM,000 and 00 to determine what sits with you comfortably.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:41 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks everybody. Good comments here. Much appreciated!
Old 06-25-2020, 05:54 PM

The easiest and cheapest path would be the old New York "Key Club" (our answer to the Funk Brothers and Wrecking Crew) trick, from the days before 5-way switches: put on a set of 12's, drop the middle pickup flush with the pickguard, use the middle position on your selector switch for "acoustic" tones, and the neck/bridge for straight electric work; while it doesn't sound like a true acoustic it fills the same sonic space in an arrangement, and can be very effective in that context (listen to the rhythm work on some of the Four Seasons' singles) - just remember that you'll need to adjust the trussrod, action, and intonation...

Another option that would work if you want to keep your present setup would be the Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulator pedal; while I've seen mixed reviews, they've generally been from players who expected more than a $150 pedal could give - if you're expecting to sound like you're playing a prewar D-28 forget it - and once again, those who use it in other than a solo context tend to rate it more favorably...

If you're determined to add another guitar to the stable, the ESP TL-Series offers famiiar UST acoustic-electric tone in an electric-guitar size body - since deeper bodies seem to be an issue for you, one of these might be $500+/- well spent; the only caveat is that they can be a little hard to find, so you might have to buy one on approval by mail-order...

Good luck, and welcome to the Forum...
Old 06-25-2020, 05:59 PM

Two suggestions:

1. Recovering from rotator cuff surgery, I picked up an OM. Just right for me, though 00s worked also. Can't recommend a brand because you haven't given a price range.

2. If you'd like to swing both electric and acoustic sounds from one guitar, I'd look at the Fender Acoustasonic. A compromise with both, but a lot of fun and capable of very good sounds.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:59 PM

If you really liked the sound of your Takamine I would recommend a smaller Takamine like a NEX body or OM body.

Takamine also recently released a new line of thin bodies intended for stage use.

I just recently bought a Takamine dread that I’m extremely impressed with so there is some Tak recency bias in my answer.

What model was your Tak? I’m sure there is a smaller body in that style.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:38 PM

In your case, if possible, I'd take my time and go play as many guitars as possible before buying.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
If you really liked the sound of your Takamine I would recommend a smaller Takamine like a NEX body or OM body.

Takamine also recently released a new line of thin bodies intended for stage use.

I just recently bought a Takamine dread that I’m extremely impressed with so there is some Tak recency bias in my answer.

What model was your Tak? I’m sure there is a smaller body in that style.
i had the EF340SC It was made in 2000 but they discontinued it. Great neck and sounded so sweet, some people in church would even cry.Congrats on the Tak. I may look into a thinline. I tried a few of their OM sizes but didnt sound as good to me.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The easiest and cheapest path would be the old New York "Key Club" (our answer to the Funk Brothers and Wrecking Crew) trick, from the days before 5-way switches: put on a set of 12's, drop the middle pickup flush with the pickguard, use the middle position on your selector switch for "acoustic" tones, and the neck/bridge for straight electric work; while it doesn't sound like a true acoustic it fills the same sonic space in an arrangement, and can be very effective in that context (listen to the rhythm work on some of the Four Seasons' singles) - just remember that you'll need to adjust the trussrod, action, and intonation...

Another option that would work if you want to keep your present setup would be the Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulator pedal; while I've seen mixed reviews, they've generally been from players who expected more than a $150 pedal could give - if you're expecting to sound like you're playing a prewar D-28 forget it - and once again, those who use it in other than a solo context tend to rate it more favorably...

If you're determined to add another guitar to the stable, the ESP TL-Series offers famiiar UST acoustic-electric tone in an electric-guitar size body - since deeper bodies seem to be an issue for you, one of these might be $500+/- well spent; the only caveat is that they can be a little hard to find, so you might have to buy one on approval by mail-order...

Good luck, and welcome to the Forum...
a lot of interesting tech info. Thanks!@!
Old 06-26-2020, 12:12 AM

Now for something entirely different - Monty Python line:

Look at the Ovation lower priced line. Mine is very well built and set up for a very low action and extra light strings. Ovations have a bowl shaped body available in I think three thicknesses. Mine hugs my body and tilts the top toward me so I don't have to hang my arm far over, even with the widest body. The neck and fretboard feel more like an electric than most acoustics and produce a nice balanced tone. With a neck strap I can place it for maximum comfort, which for me is with the neck up fairly steeply to ease that shoulder and wrist.

Back in the 1970s Glen Campbell used his top line model to sell more records one year than the Beatles did.

So, easy on both shoulders, the wrist, and on the fingers, balanced tone, comfortable to play, acoustic and/or electric. Very reasonable cost and plentiful on the used market. - Stevo
Old 06-26-2020, 11:31 AM

Stevo, I had given Ovation some thought. I even looked at a Legend but it was deep bowled and was too deep. I can see how a mid depth or shallow depth would work. What kind have you got? Neck is thin like an electric? Thanks!!!
Old 06-26-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guitar guy View Post
I am crazy trying to figure out what to do so I thought I would get help from you guitar gurus. I am an older guy with some challenges. My rotator cuff got too painful for me to play my Takamine since it was a big dreadnaught so I had to get rid of it.I loved that sweet high sound it had, unlike most acoustics which sound woody and tinny to me. I have been playing a Strat Electric but most of my music is really more for acoustic and the only "group" I am in to play a gig is another guy, not a band, so the electric may not make a lot of sense. I do love the sweet sound of an electric and it is easy to play for my arthritic fingers. I thought about a Fender Thinline for my all around guitar. I do have a Martin 1OM but it has that Martin twangy sound I can't get out of it. I know, I know, I know. Why did I buy it if I don't like the Martin sound? It was a good bargain so I grabbed it. Well, the question is would you recommend I just stay electric, or find an acoustic guitar with the sweeter sound like the Takamine for church and small venue with my two-man "band". If you vote for the acoustic, any recommendations as to which guitars you recommend that are sweet sounding and have a nice neck is appreciated. Thanks!!!
I received a great guitar built with a Manzer Wedge design. Short scale and one of the most comfortable guitars I’ve played. Might be an answer for your shoulder. Short scale for our tired hands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion