The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 04:13 PM

My sig shows significant Seagull accumulation.

I've probably put more hours on my 20th century Seagull Folk (classic cedar top/laminated cherry b&s recipe) than any other acoustic guitar. I love the beefy, wide neck, the response of the cedar top for most things. the tonal balance, the simple unadorned look. It's probably my most comfortable guitar to play.

My spruce topped/mahogany b&s dread is better for some hard strumming. My cedar/cherry 12 string is a my mellow 12-string.

All three were bought used some years back, the most expensive was about $250 I believe.

I believe there are instruments out there higher price ranges that offer something that these instrument don't offer me. I own some modestly priced instruments that do offer me other sounds that I like (not necessarily "better" in some simple, unitary, from 1 to 10 scale, but different and valid sounds). But these guitars continue to do a good job of making sounds I like and use often. That's what I ask an instrument to do.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-25-2020, 04:13 PM

I will always have a place in my heart for the Godin brands as my first real guitar nearly two decades ago was an all-laminate Art & Lutherie dreadnought. It was a great guitar to get started on, and I still own it.

Because I played it non-stop in those early years, I started to wear down the finish on the neck like one of those relic-style Fenders, and it feels like an old baseball glove when I get it out now and then.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:19 PM

My first guitar 20+ years ago was a Seagull. My wife had one too. I have fond memories of those guitars. I’ve played some in recent years as well and thought they were great.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 06-25-2020, 05:25 PM

My primary gigging guitar for 15 years was a Simon & Patrick Pro Rosewood dread. A fine workhorse of a guitar. I also owned a Seagull S6 for a number of years. Another really nice instrument, and especially so for the price. Although neither of those guitars are still with me, I might revisit owning another Godin guitar someday.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-25-2020, 06:17 PM

I had a seagull folk that was a dog in looks, it was very musical, still looked awful. Some yrs later I bought a small jumbo, it looked great but didnt feel good nor sound good. Im not a Godin fan but I get most of my guitars built by Canadian builders. Its not a plan but it just works out that way. My latest being built is Steve Denvir from Baltimore Ontario. It should be here in August.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:40 PM

I'm a big fan of Seagulls, especially the cedar tops. I had a chance to play a Norma folk guitar, again with a cedar top (yes, it's kind of a theme). Pretty nice. The Art & Lutherie seem a bit hit or miss, not bad for the price. The others just seem good.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:44 PM

The Godin stuff is great. I've owned an S&P, an A&L, and a couple of Seagulls.

If I hadn't developed a hankering for a really high end acoustic (ended up with a limited edition custom shop Gibson Songwriter), I would still have a Seagull or S&P (one of their higher end models).
Old 06-25-2020, 08:24 PM

I owned a Godin LG-P90 for a few years. Great guitar! Wouldn't mind owning another.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier View Post
I've always liked Seagulls. Currently own the three Concert Hall models shown below. (I gave the Dreadnought to my son.)

That's funny Jim. I keep my Artist Element Dread in DADGAD and find its great for Celtic selections - some of which I've found in your books.

It sounds so good that it keeps me from looking to Lowden or Avalon as I explore the Celtic sound more.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!

Last edited by Ed66; 06-26-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:12 AM

Have had an A&L satin red can't remember the model. 2 x S&P S6 Cedar 6 & 12 string and a Norman B20 MJ electro. They were all beautifully made guitars. I'll always regret selling the Norman as it was stunning visually and sonically. I keep looking to find another but they are as rare as hens teeth in the UK. I've never come across a bad Godin yet.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...Lz8M7iCqhqcxsU
Taylor GS Mini with ES-Go pickup
Crafter TA050AM Parlour
Tanglewood Winterleaf TW12-ce 12 string
Freshman AC60R Acoustic amp.(Marshall clone)
Old 06-26-2020, 01:21 PM

I enjoy my Seagull and only wish I had it at the beginning as a starter guitar. It goes were I do and the tone and playability is very enjoyable.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:08 PM

I'm a big S&P fan. I have three, purchased all used over the past 7 or 8 years. I also have a La Patrie Etude nylon string that I bought new in 1997 but I haven't played any nylon strings in a long time. Nice guitar though.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

As catdaddy and others have mentioned - they are workhorse guitars - and that really appeals to me.

I bought an A&L dread about 15 years ago second hand for £100 and sold it last summer for £70 to part fund my Seagull S6 Coastline Spruce. I love the cherry laminate b/s of most of the models across the brands. It gives such a dry tone that's great to work with. I wish more companies would think about cherry and birch ply (and perhaps other northern forest ply woods) for guitar making. I think there is missed potential because of the hype over tropical woods and solid backs and sides. Its that old syndrome of buying a $10,000 guitar in fancy tropical woods because it is the one that sounds the most like a $3.50 guitar from the 1930s with a birch ply body

I've been looking for an OM guitar because my S6 is a wee bit too loud to acoustically sing across when flatpicking (great for a string band though). I was thinking about an Eastman E1-OM but something was holding my back - I'm just not sure an Eastman would be a good fit for me; I think it is too much guitar (too rich a tone) for what I want. So I've pretty much decided on an A&L Legacy: OM size cherry laminate body and spruce top, short scale. Something with that earthy sound I love that I can dig into with a pick but still be able to sing across. Canadian built in Canadian woods (love the maple necks too), nice and sturdy so it can live out on a guitar stand always ready to pick up and play. So I'm going to give one a try. Hopefully, it will be another workhorse.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'm a big S&P fan. I have three, purchased all used over the past 7 or 8 years. I also have a La Patrie Etude nylon string that I bought new in 1997 but I haven't played any nylon strings in a long time. Nice guitar though.
Nice, been wanting a cedar top again, I think I'll sell a couple pedals soon to fund the simple Woodland Cedar audible I miss it, simple and unique sounding. I'm going with S&P again I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
As catdaddy and others have mentioned - they are workhorse guitars - and that really appeals to me.

I bought an A&L dread about 15 years ago second hand for £100 and sold it last summer for £70 to part fund my Seagull S6 Coastline Spruce. I love the cherry laminate b/s of most of the models across the brands. It gives such a dry tone that's great to work with. I wish more companies would think about cherry and birch ply (and perhaps other northern forest ply woods) for guitar making. I think there is missed potential because of the hype over tropical woods and solid backs and sides. Its that old syndrome of buying a $10,000 guitar in fancy tropical woods because it is the one that sounds the most like a $3.50 guitar from the 1930s with a birch ply body

I've been looking for an OM guitar because my S6 is a wee bit too loud to acoustically sing across when flatpicking (great for a string band though). I was thinking about an Eastman E1-OM but something was holding my back - I'm just not sure an Eastman would be a good fit for me; I think it is too much guitar (too rich a tone) for what I want. So I've pretty much decided on an A&L Legacy: OM size cherry laminate body and spruce top, short scale. Something with that earthy sound I love that I can dig into with a pick but still be able to sing across. Canadian built in Canadian woods (love the maple necks too), nice and sturdy so it can live out on a guitar stand always ready to pick up and play. So I'm going to give one a try. Hopefully, it will be another workhorse.
I've never owned the A&Las yet but my friend picked up a A&L parlor at a garage sale for $20.00 a couple years ago, it's scratched up but a real cool guitar, what a steal.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:06 PM

I've owned at least one of every sub-brand (except La Patrie) in the past, when the low-end price was around $300 new. They go for at least around $450 new these days.

They are about the only option for North-American-made entry-level guitars, but what a great option it is. It's perfect for someone getting into guitars or needing a good backup. The tone, while not complex, is crisp and clear.

It's hard to go wrong with them, especially the S&P.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion