The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-03-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Forgot about this pic. Embroidered National patch on the case lid. Nice touch IMHO.

Never saw one of those before!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:48 PM

Congrats Doug!

You did it, the full “Clank” all metal single! I thought you were busy talking yourself out of one. But no!

Enjoy your fingerpicking on it, but when nobody is watching have a bit of a slide....that beast will cry with a bottle!

BluesKing777.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
That don't have a dusty yellow one with the Hawaiian scene lying around do they?
1929 model Triolian at Folkway.......no affiliation.

BluesKing777.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Doug! Absolutely gorgeous... love that kinda soft burst!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks guys. I'm very happy with it. I played it for a while before dinner and I going to run through my whole repertoire on it tomorrow. I want to hear how it does on a variety of tunes. And no slide BK!
Old 04-03-2020, 07:24 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post

BluesKing777.
Doesn't that one have the dreaded Bakelite neck?
Old 04-03-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Doesn't that one have the dreaded Bakelite neck?
It does!

It is a fairly heavily played guitar and if the neck is ok after 90 years......

Speaking of necks, what do you think of your new one?

I may have to go play my single cone M14 for a while to shake off the new GAS plus old GAS. I have a 35 Trojan but it has developed an annoying rattle and buzz.

BluesKing777.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:23 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Speaking of necks, what do you think of your new one?
It's a good sized V which I'm used to by now. I like the neck quite a bit but there's always an adjustment phase.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:

BluesKing777.
Thanks but I'm into the modern NRPs.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:13 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
I'm going to run through my whole repertoire on it tomorrow. I want to hear how it does on a variety of tunes.
So I played through my whole repertoire today on it. Interesting experience. It sounds best to me on the Blind Blake ragtimey tunes. It also requires more damping while playing. It's going to be fun getting to know the National better over time.

I should also mention that this the first guitar I have ever purchased for myself without playing it first. I have played Nationals before but this was a new experience for me. Thankfully it turned out well. With COVID-19 I didn't have the option to go to the store so here we are.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 04-04-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Nice Doug congrats! Now we're going to hear some serious blues when all this is over.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:43 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks Barry!
Old 04-06-2020, 06:15 PM
Guest 33123

This is also my first satin finish guitar and I'm really liking it.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 04-06-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Congrats J-Doug on picking a great National. When National gave me an artist deal the first model I had built for myself was based on your guitar. I love it, and it's the one I gig with the most. I use acoustic guitar light strings on it and mine has a highlander internal biscuit pickup and preamp, and a flatbucker magnetic taped to the top. I mostly use the flatbucker live!
Well you inspired me to run lights on my Style N with this post. I had tried it in the past and didn't like it. Tone was fine, but as much as I wanted a "short scale with slinky strings" sound/timbre (whichever word is right here), I simply couldn't get on with the feel and playing aggressive slide.

I strung it up the day after you posted this, and decided to just stick it out. First day out, slide work was buzzy and fret rattle-y. 3 weeks later? Bliss! slid work is clean again, and fretted fingerpicking is everything I wanted when I tried it in the past. Snapping the bass strings is so much more fun with the lights.

I'll probably always run 13's on my tricone, but the style N feels like someone gifted me a super high quality parlor guitar!

Thanks to J-Doug for starting this thread, and Rockabilly69 for being generous with info.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Well you inspired me to run lights on my Style N with this post. I had tried it in the past and didn't like it. Tone was fine, but as much as I wanted a "short scale with slinky strings" sound/timbre (whichever word is right here), I simply couldn't get on with the feel and playing aggressive slide.

I strung it up the day after you posted this, and decided to just stick it out. First day out, slide work was buzzy and fret rattle-y. 3 weeks later? Bliss! slid work is clean again, and fretted fingerpicking is everything I wanted when I tried it in the past. Snapping the bass strings is so much more fun with the lights.

I'll probably always run 13's on my tricone, but the style N feels like someone gifted me a super high quality parlor guitar!

Thanks to J-Doug for starting this thread, and Rockabilly69 for being generous with info.
That's fantastic Blue. When I first tried it, I had the same hesitation as you did, but my fingernails were shattering from so much gigging, so I gave it a go. It took me a bit to learn how to play on the lighter strings, but after awhile it became second nature. And yes, the slinky bass string feel is definitely a bonus!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments