The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-13-2020, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
He clearly stated the sequence and sandpaper:

https://micro-surface.com/micro-mesh-types
The questioner may have been confused by the OP's steps split over 2 posts. Initially, after the razor blade:
Quote:
Next, I strip-sanded with 240-grit, block sanded with a small eraser and 400, 600, then 1500 grit.
After that, though, in the following post he does say that:
Quote:
The next step in the process was to wet-sand up the micromesh series: 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 12000.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 07-13-2020, 08:17 AM

240 is a bit harsh to start with imho. I usually start with 600.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:46 AM

I was looking every where to find more info on doing drop fills. I found a few you tube videos, main one was Stew Mac.

I don't have a high end custom built anything. I just want top fix one mistake I did while reaming and installing new bridge pins. Some how I made a hair line scratch on the top which is near the bridge , looks like a string did it. I panicked and used 0000 steel wool which dulled the finish then using my small flashlight to see the string balls I bumped the edge of the top and chipped a very small bit of finish on the binding.

Since the finish is not lacquer but that hard polyurethane which is like glass and chips easy. I was going to just use super glue to fill that chip , it's not on the edge but in the center and real small and then bring the shine back on the top. I got music Nomad pro polish which has a real fine compound in it.

I was going to use a needle to apply the drop fill and just use Loctite super glue which is thin like the 10 Stew Mac .

Does this sound workable? It does not need to be perfect just not stand out like now. Can't imagine if it was a nice high end instrument , but I feel bad enough I did this to my new acoustic and my favorite one. I don't mind wear that happens over time but this I did and could have prevented it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
ca glue, dropfill, taylor uv gloss