The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2020, 01:56 PM

I’m generally a fan of the “player’s guitar” aesthetic, so I’m not one to wipe it down all the time. I play it, I put it away. When I change strings (2-3 months) I wipe everything down with a cleaning cloth. If there’s buildup on the frets I clean it off. I oil my Rosewood fretboards once a year. My micarta, richlite, and finished maple fretboards I don’t touch.

I maintain my guitars to remain playable for a long time with as little luthier intervention as I can. And in 18 years of playing I’ve only ever needed one real repair (cracked neck on a 70s Jazz Bass reissue from using strings that were too heavy. Lesson learned). I’m not going to get too hung up on cosmetic maintenance.

I figure I bought a guitar so I can play it and enjoy it, not so it remains in pristine condition or retains value. The value is in the experience of playing, not the guitar.

Maybe I’d feel differently if I owned a guitar that cost $5000 or more, but I wouldn’t want to own one of those to begin with for the reasons I just said. If I ever buy a vintage guitar it’s going to be one that’s been played and shows it.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music-N-Yarn View Post
Thanks. I did do a search before posting my question, but the more I read, the less I understood. Polish, don't polish. Oil, don't oil. Lemon oil, no lemon oil.

To add like others said, I always clean my guitar and strings after I play. Your hands are just about the worst thing for guitar strings. I went from changing strings almost weekly to 3-6 months by just cleaning my strings and coating them with Dunlop Ultraglide 65 after playing. I also clean the body and neck, just about everywhere there’s skin to guitar contact. I sweat when I play, and I don’t want to leave nasty sweat to dry on my guitar’s finish.

Here’s the products I use.
The smaller bottle is a cleaner/polish for guitar finish. Works well and leaves no residue. GHS Gorgomyte is becoming harder and harder to find. I’ve never used anything better to polish frets. And nice and polished frets can make a dramatic improvement in a guitar’s playability. Plus the frets look nice and shiny. [emoji4]
Old 06-27-2020, 08:17 PM

If you clean your guitar after playing it, you won't have to "polish" you guitar very often, perhaps once ever two years or so. Then when you do "polish" it, use a damp cotton cloth and wipe it down and dry it with another cotton cloth.

A formal polishing will rarely be needed, so take your time selecting a product. You'll have it for the rest of your life if you do as suggested.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-27-2020, 08:37 PM

Every string change (3 mo) finish polish for gloss nitro and fretboard oil. I use an armrest so I don't worry about my arm resting on guitar.

Ll.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:09 PM

Thank you everyone for your how to input. Greatly appreciated. I want to develop good habits early on.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianovichIV View Post
I’m generally a fan of the “player’s guitar” aesthetic, so I’m not one to wipe it down all the time. I play it, I put it away. When I change strings (2-3 months) I wipe everything down with a cleaning cloth. If there’s buildup on the frets I clean it off. I oil my Rosewood fretboards once a year. My micarta, richlite, and finished maple fretboards I don’t touch.
Micarta fretboard? Pics or it did not happen

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion