The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
John Pearse PB 16 80.00%
D'Addario XT PB 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2020, 06:18 PM

Default John Pearse PB vs D'Addario XT PB

For those that have experience with both which do you prefer and why?
Old 06-26-2020, 06:25 PM

The XT sounded eh to me. Tonewise they are a downgrade from the EXP line.

I love John Pearse, but they die so quick with my finger chemistry that I just don't like using them lol.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
The XT sounded eh to me. Tonewise they are a downgrade from the EXP line.

I love John Pearse, but they die so quick with my finger chemistry that I just don't like using them lol.
Agreed 100% on both counts.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:21 PM

I’m fortunate that I don’t have string killer skin chemistry, and can keep John Pearse phosphor bronze strings on my guitars for six to eight weeks before they go dead and need to be replaced. The Pearse 80/20’s don’t last me as long - those last me six weeks at most, and about a month if it’s humid.

There do seem to be individual differences between one player and the next on this; I have one friend who blows through John Pearse strings in about a week, while he can use uncoated D’Addario strings for three to four weeks before he needs to change them.

So he and I are opposite in that regard, as I blow right through uncoated D’Addarios as quickly as he does the JP’s.

As for coated strings, even the best of them kill a bit of the treble response, so I generally avoid them on all but those guitars I own that don’t get played much. But these days I’m equally likely to use nickel alloy strings on those seldom used instruments, as the nickel strings seem to last as long as coated strings do.

For me, anyway.

So, short version: I prefer the tone of John Pearse strings, and an additional factor in them becoming my favorites was that they lasted me (and continue to last me) for a long time. While I admire the wide range of string offerings that D’Addario provides, I simply don’t like their tone as much, and they don’t last me very long, either.

But I have used them in a pinch and will continue to as needed.

We’re very lucky to have the wide array of string brands and alloys that we can choose from. Both John Pearse and D’Addario offer superb products, as do most string manufacturers on the market. Nobody’s really making lousy strings these days, so it really comes down to whatever works best for you.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-26-2020, 11:51 PM

I’ve never tried either of them but do you guys know where I can buy strings for the cheapest? I’ll buy a bunch to test them out if they have discount then I’ll make a review post
Old 06-27-2020, 12:13 AM

Rinaz, I get my John Pearse strings directly from Breezy Ridge, the parent company that makes them (I’m an artist endorser for the brand.) But the best retail prices seem to be from online dealers like Strings & Beyond and Elderly Instruments.

When I called Breezy Ridge last week to get some strings I spoke with a gentleman in the office who told me that he could send me the 80/20 bronze strings that I asked for but not the phosphors - like countless businesses around the world they’ve experienced some delays in getting materials as this coronavirus pandemic has progressed. But they will be making more of them and many retailers have them in stock.

So check around and see who has what.

As for the D’Addarios, those are widely available at just about any guitar-oriented retail outlet. Since I’m not an endorser for them I don’t have any details about their availability, but check around the same as you will for the JP’s. From what I can tell, D’Addarios are the most widely available strings in the world - at least in those parts of the world where I’ve been able to pop into music stores and check for myself.

Yes, they do carry D’Addario strings in Hobart, Tasmania - every music store I entered had them in stock! On the other end of the planet, the music store in Lerwick, capitol of the Shetland Islands had them too!

So did all the music stores that I visited in Tokyo and in Seoul, South Korea. So I think it’s safe to say that D’Addario guitar strings are as close to ubiquitous as it’s possible to be.

Hope this helps.

whm
Old 06-27-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinaz View Post
I’ve never tried either of them but do you guys know where I can buy strings for the cheapest? I’ll buy a bunch to test them out if they have discount then I’ll make a review post

Support a forum sponsor in Strings by Mail!
Old 06-27-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Support a forum sponsor in Strings by Mail!
Thanks. Is there a reason why martin strings and John Pearse are cheaper than elixir and ddario etc?
Old 06-27-2020, 01:04 AM

The JP strings have a dark tone. They'll zing for a day or two and the the tone starts darkening up. Not dead; dark. Add them to a Mahogany guitar and your ready to play some 90's grunge music like Alice in Chains. It's great!
Old 06-27-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinaz View Post
Thanks. Is there a reason why martin strings and John Pearse are cheaper than elixir and ddario etc?
It's not inferior quality if that's what you mean.

And even if they are not for you, they are so cheap it doesn't matter.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

I use both. The D'Addario PB are brighter than the John Pearse PB, so it depends on the guitar. My 1967 Martin D-35 has gotten much brighter over the years and D'Addario PB is still too bright so I use John Pearse PB. It's just right on this guitar.

I use D'Addario on almost everything else (about 8 other guitars) except for my Olson SJ and my Martin 000-28VS. Both of these guitars are pretty dark and they need Martin SP 80/20 strings to bring out more treble.

- Glenn
Old 06-27-2020, 10:51 AM

After 18 years of not using JP strings, input some on and went to a jam. They were dead within 45 minutes, which is why I hadn't used them since a gig where they were new when I started and dead after 45 minutes.

Great sound.
No life.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I thought the XT sounded “OK”, not as good as the JP strings. The XT didn’t last much longer than a non coated string. Cost/performance wise, they just don’t work for me.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:56 AM

Not a comparison to the John Pearse PB but in defense of D'addario XT.

After having them on my OF660 for over 2 months, they do what they are supposed to do. In this 2 month window they also spent a week at sea on a Caribbean cruise. They sound great on the Journey whereas the EJ16s are way too bright. Not sure what gives them the warmer tone but even D'addario's website states as much.

John Pearse strings are also fine and I've got no complaints- just prefer extended life strings on my carbon guitar. I especially like the JP New Mediums.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion