The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2020, 05:05 PM

Default Accurate dehumidifier for small guitar room?

I have a humidifier in my small guitar room for winter months but now im interested in a dehumidifier for summer. I want something with an accurate sensor. Any advice?

Thanks
Old 06-27-2020, 09:20 AM

Hey Blackbird, I'm unaware of certain model dehumidifiers that are respected because they have more accurate sensors (hygrometer), although perhaps there are some in the $$$ range. I'm using a dehumidifier that I bought at Costco and it works fine in my guitar room. I also have a couple of hygrometers and the three are all somewhat in synch.

Perhaps a quality, calibrated, hygrometer is an option as well.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Perhaps a quality, calibrated, hygrometer is an option as well.
It is a requirement, not an option.

Buy whatever humidifier you like that has a control setting on it. Read the hygrometer and manually adjust the humidifier setting so that it shuts off at the preferred reading of the hygrometer - thereby calibrating the humidifier. Consumer room humidifiers are not known for having accurate humidity sensors - expecting to find one isn't very realistic.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:00 AM

The one I bought, a Toshiba, seems fairly accurate so far. Gets to 45% and cuts off, comes back on when it goes higher. It'd be a little big for a small room though. I'd just read the reviews online. That's how I decided on mine
Old 06-27-2020, 10:45 AM

You can try an external sensor/switch, like this one.

Set your desired humidity level and variance. Plug the humidifier into one plug, the dehumidifier into the other, and off you go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion