The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-17-2020, 10:56 AM

Default Anyone tried the Schahtten HFN?

I have the K&K Pure Mini in four guitars and have been satisfied with it, except that its' hot signal doesn't go well with my Baggs Venue preamp. I like the Venue for its' boost switch, which allows me to instantly add volume for leads. So I tried the Schatten HFN Passive in an OM-size guitar that I use for stage work. I like the tone, it goes well with the Baggs preamp, and it sounds particularly nice through my Fishman Loudbox amp, either alone or with the signal sent along to a PA.
One thing about the Schatten bridge plate pickups: they are sold as "easy to install". OK, up to a point. Sure, it's easy to apply the double-stick and just push it on to the bridge plate. But to get it positioned precisely as the instructions indicate, I ended up fabricating a jig using wood dowels as positioners for the e-string pin holes. This allowed me to get the pickup right in the center of the plate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification