The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-17-2019, 05:53 PM

Default Another reso string question

I just got a Gretsch 9240 'Alligator' wood body single cone resonator guitar (round neck) from Sam Ash. Good service from them, BTW.

I had a similar National model years ago, but let it go since I wasn't playing it, but now am ready to try again.

I would like some suggestions for strings to try. I was thinking med. light gauge since I don't need a lot of volume and will be playing slide and finger picking. I think I used Mediums on my National, but am older now and am use lights on my other guitars. I remember that mediums are recommended to drive the cone to get volume (not really needed) and a good tone.

Long string life is a plus, but tone is most important. What about coated strings, or monel, which seem to last longer than Phosphor Bronze? I think my taste runs to mellow vs harsher tone - that's why I stayed with a wood body.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 12-17-2019, 06:46 PM

Good choice on the Alligator. I used to have one.

I'd recommend John Pearse Nickel wound strings. I liked them on mine. They were much more mellow than any PB strings I tried on it.

I do think a resonator cone is driven better by heavier gauge strings but light gauge won't make it sound terrible by any means.

As for playing slide no matter what guitar or string gauge I always swap out the high e for a heavier gauge string. I don't like the slide sound I get from a 12 or 13 gauge string. A 14-16 will give you a much fuller sound.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:31 PM

I also recommend 14-16 on the e and B strings for fuller sound.

But it also depends on what tuning you're going to play in. If you're tuning up to something like Open E, I find lights can work fine. But if you're tuning down to Open D or G I like the 14's better.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:43 AM

tuning is important, I play one resonator (spider cone Dobro style) in normal spanish guitar tuning, and use normal light strings on it. If you play say a low G tuning (DGDGBD) which is great for bottleneck slide you can get a special set of strings that are around a .056 to a .014 or .015. The cone pretty much ignores string gauge as long as you are not too light, but you want to watch the tension, a slide or bottleneck likes some resistance so tension is important. If you are playing fretted mostly, just use what you like on other guitars, the resonator will be just fine.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Med. lights will do fine to drive your single cone, and a more versatile gauge for finger style. Enjoy your new Gretsch!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments