The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-29-2024, 05:52 AM

Default Compressor pedal with boost and/or gain

Hola,
can I get some advice for a compact compressor pedal that works well with both passive magnetic pickups as well guitars with built-in pre-amp. Also, I want a way to boost the signal, both before and after the compressor.

I have a cheap compressor from Moen which I like, but it only has knobs for compression and volume, and I guess the volume knob is for make-up gain after compression?!? So it behaves a bit differently depending on if I use a guitar with a passive pickup or an active one.

I want my sound a bit dirty, I'm not after a clean acoustic sound in this case.

Bonuses would be if the pedal can be powered with battery and has XLR, but especially the XLR is not that important.

Alternatively it could be a tube amp-like effect instead plain compression.

Pedals I have looked at:
Tech 21 SansAmp Para Driver DI
NUX NBK-5 Masamune
Wampler Cory Wong Compressor

Suggestions wanted!

Thanks!
/Per
Old 02-29-2024, 10:35 AM

For what I think you're going for, the Para Driver may be a good choice. Not a compressor, but will get some grit into the signal along with control over volume and eq. But the reality is that different levels coming in will make any compressor react differently. You could turn down the volume on the guitar with active electronics to match the level of the mag pickup. But unless you are wanting a second pedal to specifically either boost the mag or cut the active, a single pedal might not cut it. Typically the "volume" on a comp will be make-up gain but depends on the pedal as there are a couple of different designs. I don't have the Mooer but sounds like it is likely a Ross-style comp so you don't have a lot of tweak ability.

There also are overdrive pedals that have boost options, may be another way to go but depends on your signal chain and what sounds you're trying to achieve.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 02-29-2024, 01:27 PM

Strymon Compadre; two-mode compression on one side and a clean or dirty boost on the left. I use it for acoustic and electric guitars and it's wonderful.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:14 PM

Slight tangent:

If the difference between guitars is an impedance issue, which I suspect is the case, then a Boss GE-7 in front of the compressor would match the impedance responses and also open up several options -

* comp off/boost and EQ
* comp on/off (inc. built in boost)
* comp on/input gain (hit the comp harder, different effect)

Just a thought.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification