The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-13-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz761 View Post
I am likely going to soon have to replace my 20 year old Mackie 1202 mixer and was interested in the idea of plugging my K&K-equipped guitar directly (other than a Boss TU pedal) into a channel on a new board.

The ZED 10FX seems like a good option after reading about the impedance matching capabilities on the first two channels. Are there comparably-featured/sized boards that have this sort of preamp that are worth considering? Anyone have firsthand experience with the on-board effects? I'd like to jettison my Alesis microverb too!
For live or recording? Is your 1202 faulty?

Fwiw, I still use a VLZ3 for live: it is a workhorse that delivers! Good pres, routes simply with good options, and good tonestack in the channel strips. Zero complaints and for my simple setup for gigs (no IEMs or complex routing), it is hard to fault these old Mackies. Sure the current mixers offer lots, but will you benefit from the features? For recording, it pays to pay for more. But for live, if a mixer gets your job done, then I am unconvinced that a new unit will get you anything tangibly more than what you have.

That said, I also use a ZedFX and love it. But the first two channels offer nothing special except a hi-z switch which can be helpful, but useless if you're going to use a DI (such as the Venue you mentioned, which btw is great!). The fx is absolutely decent: I only have used the various verbs/delays, and they are good enough for a bit of depth and girth for live.

Edward

Last edited by edward993; 12-13-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

I have used the 1202 for live shows for many years. One channel seems to have intermittent issues with cutting out and volume spikes. We don't use that channel anymore due to its unpredictability. I did de-oxit to see if it could be resolved that way but no luck.

A new mixer has appeal in a hi-z option for acoustic guitar and the possibility of built in reverb. I've been using an Alesis Microverb which requires a wall wart and more cables etc. I am very interested in streamlining the gear.
Old 12-14-2023, 12:21 PM

^^^You'll dig the Zeds then!

If you need the Hi-Z it's certainly useful, and what modest fx I use it sounds good out front. And A&H build quality is excellent. Fwiw, the small Zed6 is the only small format mixer that doesn't use a wall wart, of which I wholly deplore wall warts so big kudos to A&H for doing that right. You'll need more XLR ins of course, but I like how the Zeds and larger A&H analog boards work and feel.

Edward
Old 02-10-2024, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbound View Post
But you have the acoustic fly rig between your guitar and the PA. Looks like a preamp and effects pedal to me. To me, you're not going straight to the PA

My set up is tuner>reverb>Delay>Looper>KandK preamp> yamaha mixer

I use the eq section on my preamp and mixer to dial in the sound for guitar

I use the ditto looper as well and my GF does the singing. So normally, I just loop the verse of the song and play lead over it when the time comes. It sounds pretty good but difficult to get the correct volume levels coming out of the loop. When I get back out of the loop it seems like a volume drop. Also, working more towards having rhythm going from looper, singing, and second guitar parts going at the same time. It all gets pretty busy for me!

What are some of your better songs that you do?

We really enjoy playing Zombie. I love the rhythm and add in all the extra guitar work including the solo at the end
Old 02-10-2024, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
If you are running an active pickup into a mixer that's 10-15' away then a preamp/DI is really not needed. In my experience, sometimes adding too much in terms of effects and pedals can alter the tone in a negative way.
Agreed. I have since ditched the Acoustic Fly Rig. Now I run... Active p/u----Ditto X2 looper----mixer
Old 03-04-2024, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I see guitar players using hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of effects peddles, trying to get that "best sound".

There are very few people that notice how great your guitar sounds.
All they hear is music.

We can get too caught up in the world of effects and spend a lot of money going down that rabbit hole.

Keep it clean and simple is my way to go.
Good words, thanks
Old 03-04-2024, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
OK so since it sounds "cleaner" than when you go through the Fly Rig ?

I don't know anything about the Fly Rig BUT

That is certainly possible given that compression (especially too much) can also highlight any type of distortion that may be coming from the sound of the guitar (which will to contribute to the sound being muddy or not clear) AND time domain effects like delay, chorus, and reverb, all of which which introduce signal doubling and or reflections and or tails etc. and can indeed cloud/muddy the sound a bit, especially when run in series and or overdone.
You are spot on about this issue. I usually set the volume on the preamp built in the guitar at 50%.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification