The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-04-2020, 07:37 PM

I stumbled on this subforum of AGF for the first time a few nights ago, and lost an evening drooling over the skills, craftsmanship and creative genius on display. As well as the incredible results - these amazing works of art that also make music. But this particular guitar left a mark. It is the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen. I've saved a few images of it to sneak peeks like a teenager obsessing over a ...er ... muscle car. Anyway, congratulations to you on your amazing guitar, and kudos upon kudos to Mr John Kinnaird.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sford52 View Post
I stumbled on this subforum of AGF for the first time a few nights ago, and lost an evening drooling over the skills, craftsmanship and creative genius on display. As well as the incredible results - these amazing works of art that also make music. But this particular guitar left a mark. It is the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen. I've saved a few images of it to sneak peeks like a teenager obsessing over a ...er ... muscle car. Anyway, congratulations to you on your amazing guitar, and kudos upon kudos to Mr John Kinnaird.

Thanks very much sir, I do appreciate your remarks.

John
Old 02-04-2020, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Smile My thoughts too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Thanks very much sir, I do appreciate your remarks.

John
It may well be the most beautiful I have ever seen too! Thanks very much for the nice comments.

A few of the ideas were mine, but I stole most of them, and John did ALL THE WORK. And I will bet my bippy it sounds FANTASTIC!!!

If you get to San Diego you are most welcome to come play it!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-06-2020, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Smile The Eagle has landed...

It is here and it is a MONSTER!!!

Cindy's first comments were, "It sounds like a 12 string! Pretty, even and LOUD."

Astounding bass and VOLUME but still extremely well balanced and RICH throughout.

Neck is the best yet, and the whole axe is even more comfy than the OVERLORD yet even bigger!

It looks even better than the pics show, too. The flame in the Spanish Cedar is quite pronounced and the figure in the Walnut is really sweet.

I am STOKED!!! THANK YOU JOHN KINNAIRD, YOU REALLY RAWK.

I will attempt some videos soon but do not expect I will do it justice with my poor video skills...

It is going to work tomorrow! Woohoo.

A fab weekend to all!

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More
Old 02-06-2020, 09:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congrats Paul, and well done brother!
I bet Tony had fun with this one.

SK

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 02-06-2020, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Paul! It should turn into a beast over the coming months.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Smile I can only imagine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Congratulations Paul! It should turn into a beast over the coming months.
At my request John hung it with a Tone-Rite for the couple weeks he kept it. And one nice thing about Western Red Cedar is that it sounds great right out of the chute.

It is a BEAST ALREADY. Yikes

Thanks Steve K. Your bro is on a roll. But so are you and Ryan! Man, Jamie's SJ looks and SOUNDS awesome already too!

Something in the water where you gentlemen grew up? Hahahaha

Off to play some more...

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 02-07-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
At my request John hung it with a Tone-Rite for the couple weeks he kept it. And one nice thing about Western Red Cedar is that it sounds great right out of the chute.

It is a BEAST ALREADY. Yikes

Thanks Steve K. Your bro is on a roll. But so are you and Ryan! Man Jamie's SJ looks and SOUNDS awesome already too!

Something in the water where you gentlemen grew up? Hahahaha

Off to play some more...

Paul
Good news. Glad you like it Paul.
Steve and I spent a lot of formative years living in New Orleans. Your comment about there being something in the water reminded me of the many times a barge load of some chemical would sink in the Mississippi River the contents of which would find its way into the city water system. We had various flavors of water through out the year and yes, there was SOMETHING in the water. To my mind it gave new meaning to the city motto “the city that care forgot”
Old 02-07-2020, 08:35 AM

Well certainly sounds like someone is a happy camper!!!
Old 02-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Smile Interesting...

Quote:
Steve and I spent a lot of formative years living in New Orleans. Your comment about there being something in the water reminded me of the many times a barge load of some chemical would sink in the Mississippi River the contents of which would find its way into the city water system. We had various flavors of water through out the year and yes, there was SOMETHING in the water. To my mind it gave new meaning to the city motto “the city that care forgot”
Whatever it was you Kinnaird Brothers are Kicking Butt big time! Never been to N.O. But I understood it is the city of music and FOOD. Let's sing and eat!!!

Yes, Tom, I am EXTREMELY HAPPY!

Cheers

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More
Old 02-07-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Congratulations, John and Paul!! I'm glad the guitar made it safely across the country and Paul sounds ecstatic . Cindy also is not just a very supportive spouse, but an excellent, professional musician with a fine turned sense of the nuances of guitar tone. So this new one has the approval of both sets of ears! I can't wait to get down there to try it out. Maybe in a few weeks....

And add the New Orleans connection to my reasons for loving my John Kinnaird #99 (Agent 99) and my Steve Kinnaird Fingerstyle guitars. I also lived in New Orleans for several years while my parents were in grad school. I was in 3rd and 4th grades and I fell in love with the city then. Those years were formative- for my love of jazz and music and creole gumbo, but also with what I chose to do professionally and my love of diverse cultures. Maybe the water...

Happy playing, Paul and happy building, John! Soon folks at BIG(er) will be able to experience a lot of Kinnaird guitar magic!

beth
Old 02-07-2020, 06:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Congratulations, John and Paul!! I'm glad the guitar made it safely across the country and Paul sounds ecstatic . Cindy also is not just a very supportive spouse, but an excellent, professional musician with a fine turned sense of the nuances of guitar tone. So this new one has the approval of both sets of ears! I can't wait to get down there to try it out. Maybe in a few weeks....

And add the New Orleans connection to my reasons for loving my John Kinnaird #99 (Agent 99) and my Steve Kinnaird Fingerstyle guitars. I also lived in New Orleans for several years while my parents were in grad school. I was in 3rd and 4th grades and I fell in love with the city then. Those years were formative- for my love of jazz and music and creole gumbo, but also with what I chose to do professionally and my love of diverse cultures. Maybe the water...

Happy playing, Paul and happy building, John! Soon folks at BIG(er) will be able to experience a lot of Kinnaird guitar magic!

beth
Thanks for the kind sentiments Beth. It’s always good to hear from a fellow Nawleaner. Once you’ve lived in the big easy you become a changed person and sometime its for the better
Old 02-07-2020, 08:23 PM

Good for you Paul! Play one for me.

Time to change your signature, eh?
The "3 John Kinnaird Customs +1 incoming" part, not the "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER, TOO YOUNG TO CARE!" part...
Old 02-07-2020, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Smile Super STOKED

Thanks Beth!!! And sford52! Come play her! Y'all invited when ya get to San Diego.

Just sent this to John after the BIG GUN's first two gigs today.

"Oh , Sensei.....

I am WAY BEYOND happy

I am THRILLED and VERY THANKFUL !!!

Two gigs in and it has WAY kicked everything that came before yours to the curb, and our three previous efforts each back a year...
Does that make sense?

Another nice new goodie. The axe sits just right between my legs with BOTH feet flat on the floor. The bottom lower Bout is most nicely shaped to put the neck up much like a classical. And light enough to stroll (and BOOGIE) comfortably as well!

This one does not need my non skid shelf liner and gaff tape on the bottom of the LB to keep it in playing position.

As always the 12 fret neck puts my left arm closer to my body for comfort.

It really does not feel any larger, but we know it is! Comfort RULES

And again, physics can not be overcome. It sounds SOOOOO GOOOOOD

And, for a cool bonus it fits fine in the killer Mono Vertigo "Dreadnought Bag" which is the nicest gig bag ever (so far). I will send a link...

Now to plug her in... mañana

Paul"

More soon...

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 02-08-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Smile 6 gigs in...

One bummer of my senior and Healthcare gigs is HIPA regs do NOT allow pics or videos in the facilities. Someone might object to being seen in a potentially compromised state... sigh

I am so used to playing for an audience and have not recorded for so long that I detest playing to my IPad. Haha

And, this axe is OUTSTANDING in every way. It sounds GREAT, plays GREAT, and
LOOKS GREAT TOO.

It is mind bending...

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop