The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehnsucht77 View Post
played a Ryan and a Somogyi -wonderful guitars. i haven't played a traugott yet.

Mike Greenfield is an awesome guy and so is Joel Stehr. Both have a 2-ish year backlog right now, i think. Wonderful workmanship and guitars from those guys.
Traugott is $26,500 and Somogyi is $30,000 (base models)... makes Olson seem like a bargain for Brazilian at $18k. And I understand Traugott and Somogyi have waiting lists too....

Oh well, great we have choices from incredible builders
Old 12-14-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt1966 View Post
Traugott is $26,500 and Somogyi is $30,000 (base models)... makes Olson seem like a bargain for Brazilian at $18k. And I understand Traugott and Somogyi have waiting lists too....

Oh well, great we have choices from incredible builders
most def. never played a traugott acoustic so i cant say anything about those guitars. closest i ever got to a traugott was when i met charlie hunter at a gig but his guitar is unique and unlike the acoustics at all.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
played a Ryan and a Somogyi -wonderful guitars. i haven't played a traugott yet.

Mike Greenfield is an awesome guy and so is Joel Stehr. Both have a 2-ish year backlog right now, i think. Wonderful workmanship and guitars from those guys.
I have heard that... Greenfield's guitars are supposed to be great also... though they are way up there too.

I think with most of these upper eschelon builders, their values hold up pretty good... but even Ryan's take a hit in the second hand market. It depends on the builder, it depends on what people know about that builder. It gets difficult to gauge because many builders simply raise prices in an effort to be seen among the more expensive (perceived better perhaps)... when the demand for their product doesn't seem to justify it. I think in many ways it is a bit psychological...
Old 12-16-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt1966 View Post

I think with most of these upper eschelon builders, their values hold up pretty good... but even Ryan's take a hit in the second hand market. It depends on the builder, it depends on what people know about that builder. It gets difficult to gauge because many builders simply raise prices in an effort to be seen among the more expensive (perceived better perhaps)... when the demand for their product doesn't seem to justify it. I think in many ways it is a bit psychological...
i agree. its a complicated equation.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Sorry for going off topic but just FYI, Mike Greenfield currently quoting 36 - 40 months delivery & Jason Kostal's list is now standing at 2 years!

Cheers
Vic
Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
Sorry for going off topic but just FYI, Mike Greenfield currently quoting 36 - 40 months delivery & Jason Kostal's list is now standing at 2 years!

Cheers
Vic
Well I can honestly say I am glad to be back at AGF..... These Olsons are amazing to say the least.... and plugged in, oh my. I will endeavor to get some recordings done sometime so you might have some sort of appreciation for how nice they are.

Greenfield and Kostal sure put together some amazing guitars.....I hope one day to play them, though they might be too much guitar for a strummer like me LOL
Old 12-17-2011, 04:31 AM

Hey Keith, may I be the first to welcome you back - we sure missed you here! (not to mention my regular "fix" of Olson magic and beauty!)
Old 12-17-2011, 05:46 AM

Welcome back Keith. Good to have you back around.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 12-17-2011, 08:35 AM

Welcome back Keith, can’t wait to hear these Olson’s! Congrats

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200
Old 12-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Welcome home, Keith!

cotten
Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 AM

Thanks much..... the Olsons are incredible... have two gigs today... playing my Tiger Myrtle for lunchtime gig and Brazilian rosewood tonight. My bandmate will have his new Brazilian Jumbo out at lunch too.!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
Well I can honestly say I am glad to be back at AGF..... These Olsons are amazing to say the least.... and plugged in, oh my. I will endeavor to get some recordings done sometime so you might have some sort of appreciation for how nice they are.

Greenfield and Kostal sure put together some amazing guitars.....I hope one day to play them, though they might be too much guitar for a strummer like me LOL
Welcome back fellow Olson owner. Mine is a SJ cedar over IRW with a K and K mini. What are you liking best for pickups with the Olsons you have?
Old 12-17-2011, 01:18 PM

+1 on the welcome home. Been thinking of you at this time of year. Enjoy the Olsons!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
Welcome back fellow Olson owner. Mine is a SJ cedar over IRW with a K and K mini. What are you liking best for pickups with the Olsons you have?
I have been using the LRBaggs Aanthem... love them.. discovered if saddle is too tight... it creates imbalance across the strings... and little filing and it was perfect. One gig down, one to go. Taking the Brazilian dread tonight #1325.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:40 PM

My SJ came to me used with a Fishman under saddle pickup. It was killing the acoustic tone and when I had that pulled and put the K and K in the guitar really came alive sans amp. The K and K is working really well and I use it all the time for my church gig on sundays. I am running the guitar thru a modest pedalboard with spring reverb, chorus etc and finally a baggs par di. Glad to see you posting again as you speak to the Olson owners with some history that few have. My first exposure was backstage with Phil Keaggy with his first SJ many years ago. I always dreamed of the day when I too could own such a wonderful instrument. Mine is similar to the newest one PK had Jim make for him. I bought mine used one year ago and have been blessed to own such a beauty. One of my friends plays professional and when he does an acoustic set and I am at the show he plays my Olson. He likes it the best of all my acoustics and I am honored to have it played by one of such great talent. He is the lead player with Steely Dan and his own band the Jon Herington Band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop